Cheap GPS?

Just spotted this…

With 1:50K OS Mapping for the whole of Great Britain.

Costs a further fiver for the discount card, if you don’t already have one.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Absolute steal. A real GPS and mapping for £250!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,
That’s a lot cheaper than what I paid for my Garmin back last year, the maps alone cost £190… time and technology huh !! ah well.

Steve MW0BBU.

In reply to MW0BBU:

A reason for the big drop in price is the OS selling the map data for less.

I just updated my digital OS maps (FullUk 1:25000HD, 1:50000HD, OS Roadmap, OS Groundranger, OS Streetview, 50m height contours all on a USB3 64Gb stick) for only £307. So much more fun installing from USB rather than downloading 38GB!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MW0BBU:

Ay Steve, about three years ago, I posted a link to a cheap Garmin, IIRC.

Every man and his dog bought one, so I don’t think there will be too many takers for this offer…

If I’m not mistaken, three years ago, to get the 1:50K OS Mapping for the whole of Great Britain, you would have needed to mortgage your house and sell your wife and kids into slavery.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Does this mean that YYY is actually getting his wallet out?

To spend money?

Wonders never cease to amaze

:wink:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You’ll be finding these GPSMAP62-models at discount prices, now that the GPSMAP64-models have been announced. Hence the price-drop … Suggested retail price in Belgium is 329 euro’s, no maps included.

Little bit of advice on maps : don’t waste money buying Garmin GB Discoverer Topo Maps for the UK, they’re no good : the map data is about 10 years old, so in certain regions, trails are missing, or trails are “interrupted” making it impossible for your device to create one fluent route (if there’s no trails showing on the map, the device can’t calculate a route there). If a customer enters my shop asking for UK Topo maps, I tell him he’s better off downloading and installing OSM maps. They’re for free, and will do the job while you wait for Garmin to come up with a new and improved version of their GB Discoverer Topo Maps.

Thierry, on3th

In reply to ON3TH:

… I tell him he’s better off downloading and
installing OSM maps. They’re for free …

here is a link for downloading free OSM maps for garmin devices:

http://freizeitkarte-osm.de/en/index.html

73 de martin
www.oe5reo.at

In reply to OE5REO:

Great link – thanks!!!