Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

The best boots I have are genuine French Foreign Legion issue. I
bought them from a retired Legionnaire, so I know they are the
real thing!

Bear Grylls does not recommend them:

http://www.beargrylls.com/legion.html

Oh, they’re fine after they’ve been broken in!
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Bear Grylls is a strange chap. He swims in swamps infested with crocodiles and unpronouncable diseases, eats worms and spiders, and generally seems to enjoy getting wet. I’m not sure if what he’s looking for from the outdoors is what I’m looking for, or in other words, how much notice it is worth taking of his recommendations - or in this case, unrecommendations.

Why doesn’t he go on that “I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here” programme? He would win it easy. In fact it would be the cushiest TV show he ever did (for him).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m not sure he’d be allowed to stay in a hotel after they stopped filming IACGMOOH as he did when filming some other survival series. I’m a Ray Mears man myself. It’s obvious Ray is a better survival expert, just look at how porky Ray has got from eating pine needles and spider’s webs when wild camping. That Bear bloke looks like he could to with a few square meals!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I watched a single episode of the Bear show in which he sneaked up upon a wild rabbit (black colour, as rare as a white wild turkey) and bagged it with a throwing stick made from a tree branch (a rabbit can hear your heart beating at 100m).
In the same episode, he swam across an icy river only to look fresh as a daisy hours later with no fire or dry clothing to aid recovery.
Obviously a highly skilled individual.
Stu

In reply to G3CWI:

http://www.beargrylls.com/legion.html

“Every meal was fish soup, often eaten standing up.”

Tee hee! Tom would feel quite at home in the Legion, then!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

Where do I sign?

Dunno if previously posted but some bargains to be had…