Cheap gear

In reply to M0CGH:

Maybe I should buy bigger boots :wink:

Probably. I find that an everyday pair of finely woven socks under a pair
of relatively coursely woven walking socks works a treat. It certainly
prevents your feet being impressed with the weave of your socks after
a long walk. In conjunction with a well worn in pair of boots that fit
the result is no blisters (at least on walks of under 14 or so miles.)

There are also the so-called thousand-mile socks (and imitators) which have two layers. While these are comfortable, mine certainly didn’t last anywhere near 1000 miles

Rick.

When I bought my last boots I got them at proper shop where there were people who knew how to help me get the correct size. What I did find was that after about 5 miles of walking the bottom of both big toes started to hurt. It felt like a blister from rubbing but looking at the skin showed no abrasion or swelling. It did look a bit red but a few minutes after removing the boots and going back to other shoes the pain went. It didn’t always happen and when it did I just ignored it. Though I noticed I did start doing shorter walks. In the end I put it down to the boots and that it was one of those things and next time I bought boots I’d try some other make. But the fact there was no rubbing to cause any irritation did confuse me.

I mentioned this to a salesbod in another outdoor shop this Autumn and she said it could be due to insufficient volume in the toe area and then tried to sell me some posh insoles (Superfeet) for £30+. When I got home I mucked about with all the shoes I could find to see if there were any insoles I could swap and try. Having found some that felt ok I tried them on The Cheviot. The difference was unbelievable. They appear to be just a fraction thinner than the original ones but now I can walk huge distances with no toe pain. If you compare the two insoles side by side you would not credit that such an insignificant change would make so much difference. I always liked the fit and feel of the boots especially if I had a toe-pain free walk but was annoyed at this intermittent problem. Moreso for not understanding the cause. Now that it’s fixed I really do find the boots to be worth what I paid. Shame it took nearly a year to fix the problem!

Richard, I found some photos of you in your Adidas jacket on Flickr. It hardly looks worn in any way. I’m sure you could have replaced the zip for less than the cost of a new jacket.

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy,

All Richard’s stuff looks hardly worn/used in any way! I don’t know how he does it. He’s done rather a lot of activations (over 600), but has hardly ever marked a kite winder, pole, feeder cable, beam etc, let alone damaged one and had to replace it.

My stuff has taken a battering and been periodically replaced, but I suspect Richard goes the extra mile with the attention to detail of how he is careful with his gear and stores it between outings.

All the same, I’m pleased that he has eventually ruined something and had to replace it!

Which reminds me. The zip has gone on one of the side pockets on my Berghaus rucksack. Do places repair these? I wonder if my mum (who has a sewing machine and knows how to use it) could fit me a new zip? Does it have to be a particular kind of zip?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Measure it for length, Tom, it is easy to find a similar zip to replace it, and it can be hand-sewed in. Hand-sewing is not difficult, it just needs a little patience while you learn to control your muscles to produce small and reasonably even stitches…if a woman can do it, there is absolutely no reason why a man can’t!

It’s like cookery…I thought cooking was a black art until it clicked with me that it was merely a branch of chemistry!

Brian G8ADD

I can’t do little fiddly things Brian, doesn’t matter whether it is sewing or soldering! And as for cooking - I volunteer to wash the pots every night.

I’ll take the rucksack round my mum’s.

Tom M1EYP

My message was slightly in jest! I do believe that there is a happy medium though between volume of boot and volume of sock.

My boots are Scarpa SL M3’s and were fitted by the Climber’s Shop at Ambleside. I was fitted wearing my Bridgedale walking socks. I’ve never had any blisters with these boots.

My point was that I think it is a bit of trial and error finding the correct sock or combination of socks to get the fit and warmth just right.

In July I thought I’d leave my heavy Scarpa’s at home and I wore my Karrimor KSB’s to walk up Great Gable from Ennerdale Water. It was a scorching day and my feet were so hot it wasn’t funny. My Karrimor boots have something they call Weathertite lining, which is their own brand waterproof lining. I’ve never suffered blisters like it! I think it was a combination of my socks being soaked with sweat and the fact that my socks were thin.

My normal socks are Bridgedale Trekkers and my feet are generally just right for comfort and temperature. They are very nice socks and I would recommend them for all year round general use.

73, Colin

I use Bridgedale socks with Bridgedale liner socks all year round with my Meindl mountain boots. Never any problems at all. I suppose being a big bloke means that I need big boots all year round, and I never feel the urge to change to lightweight boots. If I am doing a very short easy stroll in summer, I’ll just go in my trainers.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP et al:

Thanks for the comments chaps. I’ll be trying some Bridgedale liners and see how they go. My feet are generally quite cold, so anything that can improve the situation will be most helpful.

73, Gerald

There is a sale on here at the moment:

They have reductions of 20 - 30 percent on the Berghaus range of jackets, everything post free.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

The best piece of kit I ever had was MRT issue - A Ventile Smock went on for years.

Just having another double Ventile mountain jacket made, not expensive in real terms

My Regatta jacket from Millets was about £35 and served me well for about four years. I’ve still got it, and could use it again providing I reproofed it.

My old boots were from Yeomens, and were £65, about half what my current Meindl boots cost. To be honest, I preferred my old boots, they were a better fit and better at keeping the water out. Whenever I buy another pair of boots, I’m going back to these! I’ve still got them, and had them on the other day. My Meindl boots were drying out after Gun SP-013, and I needed to walk into town in the snow. I fished my old boots out and put them on. Walking in them was a joy; I’m not buying expensive boots again, no matter how many stars they’ve got in Trail!

Big Tescos at Handforth Dean (on the A34 dual carriageway between Wilmslow and Manchester) often has things like fleece hats, gloves etc for prices like £2.99. Jimmy has one of these hats now, and it is excellent, every bit as good if not better than the £9.99 fleece hats in the three outdoors shops in Macclesfield.

In other areas, I have found it best not to skimp on price. I always use a pair a Leki walking poles with the spring shock absorbtion action. These are possibly, in fact, the cheapest in the Leki range, but there are many cheaper non-Leki poles available - I don’t like them though.

Maps - everytime I neep a map for an area that I don’t already have, I always buy the OS Explorer sheet at £7.99. Often in stores, or online, you can get these at 3 for 2, saving a lot of money. I am never tempted to print maps out from Get-a-map. It has worked well, because now I have built up a library of maps, most of which get used time and time again, and in some cases may well work out to be cheaper than the cost of colour printing all the extracts would have been!

Soup (sorry, had to include it) - the interesting and exotic flavours are generally more expensive. Baxters Cullen Skink, Lobster Bisque, Tesco sweet potato & chilli, New England fish chowder, Spinnakers Bouillebaisse, Crab Bisque etc - none of 'em come cheap, but I’d rather pay the extra than endure tomato soup on a summit!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’ve never been able to stomach tomato soup!

I use my roach pole as a walking pole as I’ve never been happy with it secured (?) to the rucsac, but a pair of Lekis are a joy to use.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

My old boots were from Yeomens, and were £65, about half what my current
Meindl boots cost. To be honest, I preferred my old boots, they were a better
fit and better at keeping the water out.

Meindl’s letting in? Do you get them with a Goretex lining?

I have the Burma Pro MFS and they’re treated with Meindl No-wet and Meindl SportWax as per the manufacturers guides. Stunningly dry pair of boots. The only problem I had was the intermittent toe pain which was fixed with a different insole.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

“My Regatta jacket from Millets was about £35 and served me well for about four years. I’ve still got it, and could use it again providing I reproofed it.”

“To be honest, I preferred my old boots, they were a better fit and better at keeping the water out.”

Do I detect that you have an aversion to maintenance Tom? My jacket is reproofed every couple of months and my boots every time I use them. If I get wet feet then it comes from immersing the boots in water of greater depth than the height of the boot. I have waded through water a good 15cm deep and then enjoyed watching the water run off the boots once I reached the other side.

IMHO the 5P (6P) principle definitely needs to be applied. Perhaps Richard could whisper in your ear!

73, Gerald

My boots are overdue reproofing, no doubt about it. My old boots needed less frequent reproofing than my current boots.

My Regatta coat was reproofed many times over its life. Just that if I was to dig it out and use it again, it is due another one!

My Berghaus jacket probably is due a reproofing - but it is always warm and dry inside that anyway!

In reply to M1EYP:

My old boots were from Yeomens, and were £65, about half what my
current Meindl boots cost. To be honest, I preferred my old boots,
they were a better fit and better at keeping the water out. Whenever
I buy another pair of boots, I’m going back to these! I’ve still got
them, and had them on the other day. My Meindl boots were drying out
after Gun SP-013, and I needed to walk into town in the snow. I
fished my old boots out and put them on. Walking in them was a joy;
I’m not buying expensive boots again, no matter how many stars they’ve
got in Trail!

The best boots I have are genuine French Foreign Legion issue. I bought them from a retired Legionnaire, so I know they are the real thing! There are no lace holes; the laces are secured to metal hooks on the exterior of the boots and there is a leather flap with buckles that covers the “shin” part of the boot after lacing up. Totally waterproof and they will last forever.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Thanks Walt for this address. They have Geoff Passey 2E0BTR’s convertible glove / mittens by Lowe Alpine for sale.

Anyone know the best deal for getting a pair of Grivel Spiders “instep crampons”]? They’re selling like hot cakes at present. John Clifford GW4BVE made a point of showing me his spiders when the Passeys and I visited him at his QTH. 'With these on you’ll be able to tackle that hill over there", he said pointing to GW/MW-027 across the valley. Well perhaps not that one again.

David 2E0DAI

In reply to G3NYY:

The best boots I have are genuine French Foreign Legion issue. I
bought them from a retired Legionnaire, so I know they are the real
thing!

Bear Grylls does not recommend them:

http://www.beargrylls.com/legion.html

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M6WOW:

They have Geoff Passey 2E0BTR’s convertible glove / mittens by Lowe Alpine for
sale.

£25 !!! I’d be tempted to buy two pairs of fleece gloves/mittens from eBay for £8 and cut them and make a pair of these and have £17 left over!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to M6WOW:

They have Geoff Passey 2E0BTR’s convertible glove / mittens by
Lowe Alpine for
sale.

£25 !!! I’d be tempted to buy two pairs of fleece gloves/mittens from
eBay for £8 and cut them and make a pair of these and have £17 left
over!

Andy
MM0FMF

Actually my glove/mittens are not Lowe Alpine though they do look similar. Purchased them from Oswald Bailey in Kidderminster for £6. A section of stitching has come adrift on the one but nothing that two minutes work with needle and thread won’t fix. They are very warm though and well worth the money.

Geoff(Scrooge)Passey
2E0BTR