Cheap as Chips Headset

I recently bought this “Trust HS-250” Headset and was surprised at the quality for the price - I suspect this may be an end-of-model discount but the construction, comfort and audio quality far, far exceed the price of €11.88!

Meant for use with a PC via USB, the USB adapter plug could be cut off and the straight analogue audio in and out wired to a connector suitable for a radio. Then again if you operate a radio via remote control from a PC or Mac - this good be a good purchase.

Trust HS-250 USB HEADSET Headset (Stummschaltung), Frequenz: 20 - 20000 Hz (otto.de)

I have no association with Trust or OTTO - I just like bargains!

73 Ed DD5LP.

3 Likes

I bought a similar one from Poundland, cost one pound (of course) and it lasted a couple of years, not bad for the price!

2 Likes

Very good Ed, excellent value. If you find a place that sells the foam windsocks for the larger size headset microphones please let me know. They are like rocking horse wotsit in the UK - no known sources - the small ones for PC headsets are not large enough to fit the headsets boom microphones I use.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Cheapest I can see that in the UK is £21.99 + p&p + VAT !

1 Like

A quick search here - brought up these:
Temu Germany | Explore the Latest Clothing, Beauty, Home, Jewelry & More

Replacement Ear pads Quietcomfort Qc 2 15 25 35 Ear - Temu Germany

Upgrade Quietcomfort 35 35 Ii Headphones Soft Noise - Temu Germany

I presume there’s a TEMU in the UK as well - I get the feeling it’s part of Aliexpress.

73 Ed.

Is the microphone dynamic, or is it a condenser that sucks power?
Where can I see the specification?
73 Vili

1 Like

I bought a Koss SB45 headset with boom mic a few years ago. It requires bias, if I recall correctly. I get compliments on my audio using a KX3 and the headset is holding up well. This is a folding headset, a feature I like very much. I keep it in a Sony headset bag. Amazon shows $30.
72, David N6AN

3 Likes

I would expect the microphone to be electret like most PC microphones - check at the Trust website for further details.

OK, it could be a Dynamic microphone:

Frequenzbereich Mikrofon von 150 Hz
Frequenzgang Mikrofon bis 17000 Hz
Typ Magnet Neodymium

Probably best to contact Trust direct.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Temu has been all over the news recently as it expands, including things like Superbowl ads etc. It’s not part of the Alibaba group. It works by making vendors bid for space on their platform by only listing the company with the lowest price that can meet the delivery requirements. This is causing a fair bit of angst as companies must be in a position to supply, which requires them to be in possession of sufficient inventory and then bid low or risk having all that inventory unlisted and potentially unsellable.

AliExpress has its own issues but Temu is a race to the bottom.

2 Likes

Just to be clear to the others, Andrew - the reference to TEMU is for Phil, for possible headphone replacement ear pads, not the Trust Headset, which I bought from the German “catalogue company” OTTO. They have been around since before the Internet when indeed you got a catalogue through the post from them and you ordered by post. Remember those days?

OK on the comment re TEMU - it was their website design that made me think they may be part of Aliexpress.

73 Ed.

1 Like

I also use the SB-45 with my KX3 in the shack. Great bang for buck, great audio and comfy.

Sorry guys, maybe I wasn’t clear - I don’t wear out the earpads, it’s the foam cover over the mircrophones I need! IThere are plenty of the small foam “windsocks” for the PC type headsets but its nigh on impossible to find the ones for the larger microphones for the Radiosport size of Microphone unless you pay the high prices asked for the Radiosport cover as they come in from the USA. The trade deal between UK-USA that Brexiteer politicians speculated about after Brexit never materialised…

These microphone covers need to have a hole size to accommodate a microphone measuring approximately 30mm Long X 13mm Wide.

73 Phil

Hi Phil,
I found lots of Headset Windsocks on both TEMU and Amazon, of course, it is a matter of finding the right size for your headset microphone.

These might fit and come with an O-ring to keep them in place:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Aviation-Microphone-Windscreens-Headsets/dp/B094Y2RSM5
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINHUIPAD-Replacement-Microphone-Windscreen-Windshield-Black/dp/B086DPXV73/

73 Ed.

1 Like

Nice one Ed! Just had a quick look and will take a punt at one of those or the other suggested ones on the Amazon webpage (other sellers websites are available). I looked for them a few months ago then gave up, so really glad you found some likely suitable ones that should fit the large boom microphones.

1 Like

No worries Phil.
I get the feeling that while stocks were low of many things over the last year or so, things are now getting back to as they were pre-COVID.
73 Ed.