Chat: NW-008/019 & F/AB-001

Hi all/

Two things

1. Has anyone tried to walk from Y Lliwedd (NW-008) to Yr Aran (NW-019)or vice-versa missing out Snowdon by walking around the back of the valley at the foot of Snowdons south ridge. I understand it is possible but what’s the terrain like? I’ve got a good multi-point day planned here for when I can get back onto the hills in the summer.

2. Some time ago I asked for comments about Mont Blanc. I would just like to say that this is definitely OFF the agenda as firstly I do not believe I can attain the level of fitness required, and secondly, following the avalanche and fatalities recently the station manager has put her foot down and forbidden me to go. She also says she wouldn’t let me do Tryfan if I hadn’t already done it several times :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick 2E0MCV

In reply to M3MCV:

Hi all/

Two things

1. Has anyone tried to walk from Y Lliwedd (NW-008) to Yr Aran
    (NW-019)or vice-versa missing out Snowdon by walking around the back
    of the valley at the foot of Snowdons south ridge. I understand it is
    possible but what’s the terrain like? I’ve got a good multi-point day
    planned here for when I can get back onto the hills in the summer.

Cheers

Mick 2E0MCV

In a word, nasty, Mick. Runnels of scree and boulders to cross and much of the vegetated areas are bilberry and heather hiding loose boulders. It may be possible to pick out a practicable route in clear weather but unless things have changed in the last couple of decades there is no clear path. It may well be quicker to go over Snowdon summit.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In a word, nasty, Mick. Runnels of scree and boulders to cross and
much of the vegetated areas are bilberry and heather hiding loose
boulders. It may be possible to pick out a practicable route in clear
weather but unless things have changed in the last couple of decades
there is no clear path. It may well be quicker to go over Snowdon
summit.

Brian

Could you not drop down from Yr Aran to Bwlch Cwm Llan, pick up the Watkin Path to gain the ridge at SH619536, then turn right to Y Lliwedd? Returning could involve back-tracking to the Watkin Path again unless there is a viable way off the SE of Lliwedd.

Many things have changed in the last couple of decades!

Richard
G3CWI

I would have thought something similar too. I’ll be doing all three when I return, sometime in the future. I’ve done the three of them in a single expedition, but I would rather like a view next time.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian

Could you not drop down from Yr Aran to Bwlch Cwm Llan, pick up the
Watkin Path to gain the ridge at SH619536, then turn right to Y
Lliwedd? Returning could involve back-tracking to the Watkin Path
again unless there is a viable way off the SE of Lliwedd.

Many things have changed in the last couple of decades!

Richard
G3CWI

Certainly you could do that, Richard, but I thought he meant contouring around Cwm Tregalan from Bwlch Cwm Llan and then either picking up the Watkin Path or taking a rising traverse to Bwlch Ciliau, which I wouldn’t recommend unless you were interested in the crags of Clogwyn Ddu. Incidentally if you drop down south from the col between Lliwedd and Gallt y Wenallt you can pick up a reasonable footpath leading to the Watkin Path near the waterfall.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3MCV:
Hi Mick,

I haven’t done that myself, and wouldn’t advise trying it unless done during a warm, clear summer’s day where a route can be picked out amongst the loose scree and boulders. Otherwise it is very easy to get lost and disorientated to the cost of many a walker each year.

Taking a route between Lliwedd and Aran via the valley floor past the disused quarry is, unless actually sticking to the Watkin path, very wet and boggy at this time of the year, especially the grassy bank leading up to Bwlch Cwm Llan.
Walking all three, sticking to the main path would be my choice and advice…

Have fun but stay safe!

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to all

Thanks for the replies. The consensus appears to be not to try walking around the top end of the valley but from 008 to 019 by going lower down on the Watkin and picking up the (boggy) accepted route back up(which I know). I have met some guys who have taken the short cut, they were doing something called the 5 cols walk and were clearly nuts.

It would have to be a summer day as the planned route is NW-022/030/001/008/019.

Cheers

Mick