Change of Callsign

I’ve just got my Intermediate licence and need to amend my registered details on the SOTA database. I can see how to change the callsign globally in the database settings, but need to know how this affects everything that has gone before and into the future!

Any elephant traps I should be aware of?!

Advice from those who’ve been there before gratefully received.

Nick
2E0FGQ (was M6NJB)

In reply to M6NJB:

It doesn’t affect much.

The username you use to logon identifies the account that points are awarded against.

The callsign recorded for the account is the one displayed in honour rolls.

For chasing and activating you have to enter the callsign you used and that is recorded in the logs and as you have to logon to enter these, the system knows where the points go.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy. So to summarise, I can change the callsign with which to logon and the account totals etc remain unchanged.

I obviously need to enter the appropriate call when having activated and chased.

Simples!

Nick

In reply to M6NJB:
Well done Nick.
If you update your log-in to SOTAWatch with this new fangled 2E0 callsign, the tally of summits activated and chased in the summits page stays up to date [the day after]. It foxed me once when hard won activated summits weren’t showing with a splendid coloured 1 beside them. Easily fixed once I’d changed my call from the M6 to the 2E0!
David M0YDH
instead of an elephant trap, I find I’m the victim of the Storey Arms Burger trap set by the rest of our activation party for Saturday - see Alerts! {8-(. Pass the barbecue sauce…)

In reply to M6NJB:

So to summarise, I can change the callsign with which to logon and the account totals etc remain unchanged.

No.

Keep your logon information for the Database the same as it is now. Just change your displayed callsign in your user details (Logon/Logoff menu).

Then register a new SOTAwatch account under your new callsign.

Tom M1EYP

No.

Keep your logon information for the Database the same as it is now.
Just change your displayed callsign in your user details (Logon/Logoff
menu).

Then register a new SOTAwatch account under your new callsign.

Tom M1EYP

Ah! I meant change my callsign in the user details. I’ve already done this and left everything else the same (ie username).

I then added some chaser entries and all seems to be fine.

I don’t (yet) see the point of registering a new account for SOTAwatch

Sorry to respond to my own post! Yes, I do now see the point of creating a new account for SOTAwatch! I still appear as my old callsign. I wasn’t sure whether that would track over from Database. I hadn’t fully appreciated they were two distinct entities.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

In reply to M6NJB:

^^^^^^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is this the callsign you want to be known by?

Do you see the point now?

I certainly don’t remember your new callsign and right now, whilst editing text, I can’t scroll back and find it in the thread. So you are simply M6NJB. There’s nothing wrong with that. But when you go on air with your new 2E call many people wont associate you with this call. It can cause confusion.

Andy
MM0MFM

. . . and just to prove it - my new identity!

Nick
2E0FGQ

Do you see the point now?

Andy
MM0MFM

Yes 100%! All sorted. Thanks Andy!

Nick
2E0FGQ

In reply to M6NJB:

I wasn’t sure whether that would track over from Database

That’s OK Nick, you’re not the first to think the sites are nore closely coupled than they are. They’re not coupled at all for many reasons, some technical, some historical.

One day we may have a unified login and the ability to transparently move between sites. But we don’t yet.

Amongst all the noise and comment I don’t recall congratulating you on the upgrade. Well done. Don’t stop now, full licence and Morse beckon. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Amongst all the noise and comment I don’t recall congratulating you on
the upgrade. Well done. Don’t stop now, full licence and Morse beckon.
:wink:

Thanks! I’m already into week 2 of the BBADL distance learning course for the Advanced licence. As for Morse - well I’ve been learning that every day for the past 2 years or so. Not plucked up any courage for a 12wpm QSO yet though.

Congratulations Nick on getting the Intermediate Licence.

Jimmy M3EYP