CEPT operation

Guys and Girls,

Please ensure you use the correct CEPT callsign prefix/suffix when operating abroad. These are often listed in the ARMs for each association.

HB9EIV is operating from Madeira CT3 as I type but was spotted as CT3/HB9EIV (ammended to CT9 by myself) . The correct prefix for CEPT operation in Madeira is CT9 not CT3.

The MT would be well within the rules disallow any activations that used the incorrect callsign as the operator was not using a valid licence for the activation. We wont this time. But we may next time!

Another spot as cropped up as CT3/HB9EIV and spotted by HB9EIV himself, so he is clearly operating as CT3/HB9EIV which is not the valid prefix.

Sun 11:24 CT3/HB9EIV/P on CT3/MI-006 (Posted by HB9EIV)

Jimmy M0HGY

Sadly does look like an invalid prefix is in use from what is logged so far.

ActivationDate	TimeOfDay	OwnCallsign	OtherCallsign	Band	Mode	Name
2017-04-30	10:56		G0RQL		CT3/HB9EIV/P	14MHz	SSB	Pico Ruivo do Paul
2017-04-30	10:58		HB9MKV		CT3/HB9EIV/P	14MHz	SSB	Pico Ruivo do Paul

I see that the CT3 ARM does indeed tell you that the correct CEPT prefix to use is CT9, however the G ARM does not appear to clarify that the CEPT prefix to use is M.

1 Like

Had a look myself as not much chance of operating aboard.
But surely one needs to check what operating procedures are in store from foreign soil to ones own turf to so of speak and the Portuguese see quite SORTED in there own rights in this. As foreign calls are slightly different to resident calls of said areas of Portuguese soil especially CT3 AND CU (

Prob best prior heading out is double check what your suppose to use in front of your call when visiting foreign lands other than your own. Over hear simple it be bare last year only residents of Cornwall hams had the privilege of using the extra letter in call of K with in the boundaries of said county of Cornwall and not outside.

As G0LGS mentions in this part of the world foreign stations add letter M and Not G or in case of Scotland MM and wales MW etc etc.

Has any one informed said gent of said problem.

karl

What about EA6/ and EA8/ then? Use of these prefixes seems common but there is no mention of them in TR61-01.

Martyn

I would hope that the MT not disallow an activation on the grounds of the use of an incorrect prefix. It is a licensing issue and the relevant laws are in place to deal with this in whatever ways the various authorities may wish, if indeed they really have the time and manpower to deal with such incidences.

While it could be construed that the operator is not operating within the terms of their licence in such a situation and therefore that may invalidate the activation, is this really what SOTA is all about? Surely we should be taking a more considerate approach, pleased to see that the summits are being activated rather than using a big stick.

3 Likes

It is something that has happened occasionally ever since SOTA went international, to the best of my knowledge no activation has been disallowed yet. Andy is perfectly right, an incorrect callsign breaks the SOTA rules as well as licence terms, but while an occasional reminder is in order nobody on the MT has the time to police callsigns so I doubt that we would ever take action.

I think we are all obliged, when visiting a country that we have not operated in previously, to check the local regulations. The AM for Madeira has made it quite clear in his ARM the requirement for visitors to use CT9 rather than CT3 and that should have been observed. However, the failure to use the correct prefix will not bring an end to the World but should act as a “heads-up” to all of us where the local regulation is not obvious.

I guess a similar argument should be used (as highlighted above) for foreign operators visiting the UK to be aware.

There is absolutely no reason for the activation to be disallowed but it is a useful example to all of us who may operate overseas that the local regulation may differ from our native regulations.

3 Likes

Why not split up the immense task in quite small steps:
Individuals report their officially confirmed findings at an easy-to-find location?
MT SOTA would be invited to specify the location and title (e.g. FAQ Operating abroad in “country”.
Very valuable at this point would also be indications as to whether an individual permit for 60m operation is necessary.
Hw?

Supplement to answer/clarify the question of Andrew:
Yes, ARMs are the place, without any remarks!
So the correct wording above should be: Individuals report their officially confirmed findings to the responsible ARM manager.

My original comment erroneously addressed individual additions to a summit: Feel free to add External Links and Articles relating to this summit that activators and chasers may find useful or interesting.

The ARM has a specific section for this. Some documents are more comprehensive than others, but most are accurate, and the ARM is where it should go.

Perfect solution!? - The only obstacle could be that not all individuals (the majority?) have a referable document storage?

Not sure what you mean by that. What is a referable document storage?

You can of course find all ARMs linked off Summits on the Air (eg, Clicking on HL leads to the first link being Summits on the Air)

This will be added on next years update.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

Looks like he got message :slight_smile:

CT9/HB9EIV/P on CT3/MI-001 14282.5
karl

Another rule which has frequently been “forgotten” in recent years is that it is not correct to use a British Regional Secondary Locator (RSL) when operating abroad under CEPT rules. Therefore it would never be correct for GM4TOE to operate as CT9/GM4TOE (not that he ever has!). It would be correct to operate as CT9/G4TOE.

This is contained in para 2.107 of the current Ofcom “Amateur Radio - Guidance for Licensees” document.

“2.107 When operating in another country, it is particularly important for Radio Amateurs to ensure that they are clearly identifiable. CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 requires visiting Radio Amateurs to use their home call sign, after a local prefix. When operating overseas under this Recommendation, UK Radio Amateurs should use the unembellished UK call sign (eg ‘M0ABC’), that is, without an RSL. This is because the RSL identifies the Nation of the UK or the Crown Dependency from which the transmission is actually being made.”

Walt (G3NYY)

The RSL issue has changed since I first used CEPT privileges. It used to be use the callsign on the licence + CEPT prefix and now is as you state Walt. My last few CEPT operations have been as OK/M0FMF and SP/M0FMF and (incorrectly) EA8/M0FMF where it should have been EA/M0FMF.

That is a UK issue only though. The ARMs should have the CEPT prefix in them but they are going to change so they are built from a series of fixed items instead of being reasonably free-form. i.e. items such as AM, AM email, Association Name, prefix, Licensing authority contact details, freedom to roam, emergency services contacts etc. When the ARM is requested it will be generated on-the-fly from these fields of information and the summit list from the DB. Saves having to edit and maintain lots of documents.

This is so.

Furthermore, the CEPT rules some years ago used to mandate the use of a /P suffix when operating abroad under the CEPT rules. This is no longer mandated under the current CEPT rules.

In the UK, the use of suffixes such as /P, /A, /M, etc is optional. However Ofcom’s guidance notes now helpfully state that it is up to the individual countries to decide whether a suffix is mandatory, optional, or not allowed at all, when foreigners are operating on their soil!

“2.109 Under Note (d) to the Licence, a licensee may use the suffixes ‘/M’, ‘/P’, ‘/A’ or ‘/MM’, to denote a location away from the Main Station Address though their use is optional. If a licensee were unsure which suffix was most suitable or thought that using a suffix could affect the requirement for the station to be clearly identifiable at all times, it may be simpler (and would not breach Note (d)) to omit the suffix. That is not a choice with RSLs, as the Licence mandates their use.
2.110 Other administrations may not recognise UK call sign suffixes or permit their use. When operating overseas, therefore, licensees must comply with the requirements of the authorities on the use of suffixes.”

And then there is the question of whether it is ever permissible for a UK Foundation or Intermediate Licence holder to operate overseas. It is not permitted under CEPT rules, but it might be possible to obtain permission from the foreign licensing administration, in which case it’s none of Ofcom’s business!

Walt (G3NYY)

You can use EA/ or EA8/ from EA8.

Document link saying EA8 is OK please Tom.

The CEPT document says you should use EA/call, something I never checked before visiting. Though I did check for F,DL,ON,PA,LX,CT9,OK, SP & W6 !