Carrying an IC-705

One more for SW-3B :wink:

73, Jarek

1 Like

Home made enclosures above look very good. I have a minor concern though.

Some of those materials are very good insulators, and the design of the enclosures do not allow air to circulate, so heat generated in the radio will simply build up. In a cool climate that won’t matter, but in VK summer it would most likely overheat the radio. Allowing for air circulation is essential in higher ambient temperatures.

For this reason I use an enclosure to transport and protect the radio gear, but extract the radio from the enclosure for use.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Hi andrew,
You are right, even in the “sunny” EA summer, padding materials in the bag could lead to some heat build up. In my little experience last year (will see in 2021 summer), this produced a slight rise in temperature indicated in the IC-705 meter screen, but as I use to have the IC-705 not totally inside the protective bag, that was, at least in my case, not a big issue.

73 Moises EA4MZ

1 Like

Hello,
My kx2 travels in a medicine cabinet made by TupperWare. It is very light and quite watertight.

Tomorrow EA7/GR-059 :grinning:

3 Likes

Having been a photographer for the last 30 odd years, I quickly gave up on Peli cases. In most cases they weigh more than the equipment you put inside them. They are fine for protecting delicate equipment in cars, but not great for climbing up mountains with! I am currently looking for a lightweight solution for a G90.

2 Likes

After having finished the red wine bottles contained in this wooden box, I customized it years ago for a perfect fit of my FT-817ND and my MFJ-941B antenna tunner inside, preconnected with each other, the external antenna connection, cw paddle cable, microphone cable and a pair of earbuds.

The hand microphone and the paddle go in the side compartment of the rucksack.

Now with the wooden lid on:

Everything inside an isothermal plastic bag for some protection in case of rain, although I’m not one of those activators going out under heavy rain conditions and wx in my area doesn’t change too fast.
I know this is not for IC-705, but you could well customize yourself something for your rig the same way I did for my rig years ago.
I’m very happy with what I did as it lets me activate without needing to take anything out of my rucksack and only needing to connect the external battery lead and the external antenna.

Guru

4 Likes

Sounds like you need to order a new box Guru!

2 Likes

Over the last 50+ years I have found that both boxer shorts and Y-fronts are wonderful methods of safely packaging and transporting very sensitive and easily damaged “gentleman’s artefacts”. I wonder if anyone has considered wrapping their sensitive and easily damaged radio items in boxer shorts or Y-fronts?

4 Likes

While you’re at it you can get them silk screen printed with the SOTA logo and fly them from the pole! :rofl:

3 Likes

BOTA? YFOTA?

2 Likes

YFITA!

2 Likes

Given the last year I had, since it’s said that as wines improve with years, we can also say years equally improve with wines, I’m determined to prove it and I can definitely say it’s true after having been emptying boxes like the one in the following picture at quite a regular pace lately.
However, these boxes are not wooden but card board ones:

My current wooden box is still in perfect conditions and I forecast many more years of SOTA activating with it.

Guru

3 Likes

This is a travel shoe case I’ve been using for my FT-857, mic, batteries and logbook. The IC-705 is the black item with the white foam.

I cut a front protector from some white foam I found in the scrap box.

On the outer side, spaces were cut for a 4 mm peg (Ikea), a 1/4" screw (old tripod) and a BNC/UHF adaptor.

The 4mm peg is redundant now. I used it to lift the front before I found the 1/4" screw.

Ahoi
Pom

7 Likes

Are jewels crystals?

2 Likes

I have used a leopard print DD cup womans undergarment which offered great protection to my FT-817.

I have asked for some assistance for the Icom 705 but with COVID lockdown I am looking to do this curbside or via Zoom
John VE3IPS

3 Likes

Hi Pom,
Good idea for the front protector, in my bag I use a plyed soft polystyrene sheet, but is better to have a thick rigid piece formed with the IC-705 holes. Thank you.

73 Moises EA4MZ

2 Likes

Just saw a video over on OH8STN’s youtube channel. There is a guy making an aluminum “cage” for the 705. Looks rather nice/neat, but it a hefty price tag of U.S. $140.00! Actually, I think the video is from the K6UDA youtube channel…

Todd KH2TJ

1 Like

Hola Guru,
Ok, but advice me, it is very bad for your health to drink wine without friends.
Un abrazo

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that, José. Rest assured that I enjoyed all those red wine bottles in very good company and always marrying with delicious meals.
I’d be delighted to open and empty some of those in your company after a good joint SOTA activation.

Guru

5 Likes

Very nice setup for sure. i am also trying to come up with best plan for my situation, right now using a small lined lunch bag, during these cold winter months while operating I can still put a hand warmer inside and helps keep the radio and battery warm during the colder to the field operations.73 Fred VE3FAL

1 Like