(Cancelled) Ham Radio Friedrichshafen 2020 - SOTA Dinner - 7 pm Friday 26th. June.

Hello Ed,

Thank you for taking care of the organization of the dinner. I am here for the first time.
Would prefer Friday.

73 Sebastian

2 Likes

Hallo Sebastian,
we have decided on Friday (see title) - details of restaurant is above. Do you have your own transport? If not Iā€™m sure one of the others coming wiill be able to give you a lift.

73 Ed.

Hallo Ed.
Thanks for the info, I drive myself.

73 Sebastian

Hello Ed and everyone else
It was nice to see fellow SOTA people last year at the dinner and also at the fair. I will come and join this year as well.

/Jaan
SM0OEK

1 Like

Great News Jaan - I look forward to seeing you again. Let me know if you need transport to the meal.

73 Ed.

I hope to have a further confirmation in the next couple of days however the statement from Messe Friedrichshafen on March 3rd. was that the experts from the government health department and the virology institute see no reason to cancel Ham Radio 2020 at the end of June and (at the moment) plan for it to be going ahead.

Ed.

the executive committee of dayton hamvention cancelled this years event:

grafik

it is very likely that the fair in friedrichshafen will not take place this year as well ā€¦ but i still hope iā€™m wrong!

73 martin, oe5reo

In view of the recent development here I have my doubts, tooā€¦.

73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

Hi Martin,
At the moment you are wrong.

I have received from Messe FN an Email in response to my question confirming that they expect HR FN to go ahead and are busy with the arrangements. They have consulted with the government departments and with the Health ministry and the Virology Institute (Robert Koch) and the status as of 12th. March (but I received the email today) is that itā€™s ALL SYSTEMS GO ! for the 45th HAM RADIO Friedrichshafen.

Of course, this is based on current knowledge and the state of affairs but they were definite in their email that as far as the staff at Messe FN are concerned the Ham Radio 2020 WILL go ahead with no restrictions whatsoever.

"So plan for success and fight off failure".

Some reports have said that the higher temperatures that we are currently getting (it was 20 degrees on my summits today!) will help slow or even kill the virus in some cases.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Apparently not that trivialā€¦

DL seems to take a different approach compared to OE where things are less certainā€¦ā€¦ But letā€™s be optimistic!

73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

Status reconfirmed on the website yesterday: https://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.com/news/2020/ham-radio-on-the-trade-fair-schedule/

Who knows what is coming but the ā€œexpertsā€ have said HR FN should be OK.

2 Likes

Considering the latest evolution of COVID-19 in Germany and the average age of the Amateur Radio population, I am pretty sure Friedrichshafen wonā€™t happen this year; most Europe is on a much worse path than China and there is absolutely no chance of completely recovering in 3 months. Cancelling the event would mean refunds and a major financial hit, not cancelling it and waiting for imposed lockdown would probably allow them some government bail-out / insurance cover / etc.

1 Like

Hi Razvan

The current status is that HAM RADIO FN 2020 IS going ahead as planned and I will update this list should I get anything official to the contrary.

Even just suggesting that is not going ahead will damage attendance and should be avoided without any official statement.

I doubt there will be any government pay-out if the event has to be cancelled. There have already been far larger events at the Messe cancelled in the last few weeks without government subsidy.

Itā€™s a matter of plan for the best, be prepared for the worst.

If you chose to cancel your attendance now, to save on possible travel and accommodation costs that is your choice and everyone will respect it. For me itā€™s " wait and see". I plan to be there - for me itā€™s a closer trip than for you of course but Iā€™ve just been hit by the cancellation of Hamvention and I will most likely have to fight to get my travel costs back on that trip.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Iā€™m sorry, but the politics of ā€œthis shouldnā€™t be said because it might damage attendanceā€ donā€™t belong in the situation the world is facing this year. I donā€™t really care for them even in a normal situation (as I value freedom of speech much more), but saying that theyā€™re going ahead with an event where a lot of vulnerable people will be present during a pandemia is in my opinion either not well thought out or naively hopeful.

For context, all the other events at Messe Friedrichshafen from now until Ham Radio (12 in total) are postponed.

PS: I had to cancel 5 trips this year so far (this being one of them).

Hi Razan,
As long as it is clear that this is your opinion of what you think is likely to happen, that is fair.

Unfortunately in social media often opinions sometimes get quoted as truth - that is what I am trying to avoid here. For me, itā€™s more about keeping hope alive than the attendance figures (I probably could have worded that better).

If Ham Radio goes ahead as planned, itā€™s very good news for everyone, as it will mean that the worst of the pandemic is over.

Also in the current depressing times, the fact that the organisers of HAM RADIO are still trying to supply what is a light at the end of a dark tunnel is, in my opinion, a positive action.

If they, last week had cancelled the event, it would just be another negative piece of news, that none of us wants to have, instead, they have said that they are still working to make it happen.

Of course, it is possible that the situation could change at any time and they have to cancel, but that is their decision and should that occur there will have been no alternative. They are the ones who are regularly in touch with the Health Ministry and the Robert Koch Institute who have advised them it should be OK to go ahead. We are not.

Itā€™s unfortunate that social media and ā€˜false Newsā€™ affects our world as much as it does today but that is the case and one misquote can cause false information to be distributed.

By the way, I am in no way connected with either the DARC or the Friedrichshafen Messe company, I only research and request official statements for the Amateur Radio Podcasts that I am involved with.

So, as I said before, should I hear any change in the situation, I will post it here to keep all informed.

At the moment, I am still hoping that by the end of June we are all out of this nightmare that is the COVID-19 pandemic.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed,
I fully support this. The weekend is fixed in my calendar. The hotel is booked for the night, the cancellation policy supports cancellation up to the day before. I will not cancel unless the HAM Radio gets cancelled officially.

DX-world quoting ON5UR who quotes an ā€œOM on facebookā€. Letā€™s try to do some fact finding before we spread news. According to Neues Corona-Testzentrum kommt in die Messe Friedrichshafen they are building a Corona test facility with a bed capacity of 100.

Yes that appears to be hall B5 one of the smaller halls, that isnā€™t used for Ham Radio, its at the far end of the halls near the eastern entrance. There are 12 halls in all at the FN Messe location A1-7 and B1-5.

We are still over 3 months away from HAM RADIO Friedrichshafen - I think we all hope that the pandemic is over by then. The honest fact though, is that no one knows at this stage. The Government experts have said that Ham Radio can go ahead - at this stage - thatā€™s all we can go on.

The fact that part of the Messe is to be used to test people who think they may have COVID-19 echoes the openness and helpfulness of the management of the Messe and should be applauded. They have a great facility there that has capacity and is clean and well supplied with the needed utilities.

Ed.

All large events in Germany until the end of August are banned by German government, so Ham Radio 2020 at Friedrichshafen cannot take place at the end of June.