Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Camino Frances

I’d like to plan a walk from St. Jean to Santiago that includes SOTA ops along the way. Tentative plan is to begin the walk mid to late May. I’d like to operate VHF with an HT and HF with my KX3. Who can assist me by identifying summits on or close to the Camino?

1 Like

Hello Joseph . Of course, along the way there are many summits, at least nearby. I think that, as other foreign colleagues have done, you can contact the various Spanish colleagues.
In the EA2 area, where you start the route, you can contact Ignacio, EA2BD, who will be happy to help you. (I speak without consulting him, but I know he is like that).
When you get to the EA1 zone, specifically in the province of León, contact me. I am the AM of the EA1 zone and I will be happy to help you.

Juan, EA1AER

1 Like

Thank you Juan - I believe there is a summit above Roncesville which would be on the first day of the walk. Also a summit adjacent to O Cebreiero. I’d like to preplan so I can work with a tour company to add extra days at the appropriate points along the way.

1 Like

Near Foncebadon you have Cerro del Pico, EA1/LE-170, on the side of the road. Really easy.
A few kilometres further on you have Alto de la Pretadura EA1/LE-200. A bit more off the beaten track, but very easy too.
Near Ponferrada is Castro San Andrés EA1/LE-213.
I have activated these three summits and they are very easy. They won’t take much time.
But there are more. Cantera EA1/LE-214, I think it could be good for you.
Maybe also Souto EA1/LE-278 and Monte do Curisco EA1/LE-191.
Outside Leon you can find Chao da Poza EA1/LU-010.

This is the area I know personally. We can agree and explore other areas. There is time.

In 2019 Adrew, VK1DA, passed through here. He stayed a couple of days to rest in Leon, my city. I took him one day to see the Picos de Europa area and he activated a easy sota for the first time. My English is very bad, but I have improved since then. I don’t know if you speak any Spanish?
If you stop in my city, and I am not committed to other priority tasks, we can meet and do some activation together. I would love this

Juan

Many thanks for your suggested summits. I looked at the maps and this recommendation is just what I was hoping for. I will be able to plan for a few extra days in these areas. I speak a little Spanish; and I will hope to meet you while I am walking the Camino.

Hi Joseph,
It’s great to know you plan walking the Camino.
I live in Pamplona; you probably will spend a night here. Sure we can meet and arrange something for SOTA.

I find that carrying a KX3 + batt + mast + antenna + HT is in some way colliding with the light backpack that would make things easier for your very long pedestrian trip, but I understand you want to carry your own gear.
If you were fluent in CW a MTR would be an ideal solution.
I wouldn’t mind to let you use my SOTA gear while in EA2/NV, but I guess you prefer to carry your own all along the Camino.

Concerning Roncesvalles and some other areas of the Camino in Navarra, let me find and propose something suitable for you. I think I’ll send you a personal message to agree on that and dates, etc.

I guess you are aware of the correspondence of your HAM licence here in Spain:

Get in touch soon, espero poder ayudarte Joseph.
73 de Ignacio

1 Like