Bungees

Anyone got a source for “decent” bungees?

I’m looking for something that lasts for more than 6 months.

TIA
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Possibly? Not tried by me.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Pound world/land. 6 for a quid. Mine are 18 months old and going strong!

In reply to G7LAS:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Pound world/land. 6 for a quid. Mine are 18 months old and going
strong!

Snap!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G7LAS:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Pound world/land. 6 for a quid. Mine are 18 months old and going
strong!

I bought half a dozen from B&M Stores, 3 for a quid. Useless.

In reply to G3CWI

These look interesting Richard, maybe worth a try.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Go to your nearest motorcycle dealer, he will have reliable bungees in stock (you don’t sell useless tat to bikers more than once!) but they will cost. Halfords will be less good and cost more but may be easier to find.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Go to your nearest motorcycle dealer, he will have reliable bungees in
stock (you don’t sell useless tat to bikers more than once!) but they
will cost. Halfords will be less good and cost more but may be easier
to find.

Cheers Brian.

Don’t mind paying for a good quality bungee. Ended up using my scarf to tie the fishing pole antenna to the trig point yesterday :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Don’t mind paying for a good quality bungee. Ended up using my scarf
to tie the fishing pole antenna to the trig point yesterday :frowning:

I always carry a couple of bungees and a roll of duct tape, usefull stuff! If your grip slips a bungee can fire itself into a wilderness of rock or heather, then its quicker to get the tape out than search for the bungee!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Given all trigs are the same size (*), if you intend to use them on a regular basis then the wise man makes a trig wedge and harness so his antenna is vertical and the harness doesn’t “ride up with wear”. If you know there is no trig then the wedge and harness can stay in the car saving on weight carried.

(*) all Hotines are the same size as each other and all Vanessas are the same size. OS maps and Geograph’s website shows whether the trig is still there or not. As does a quick check on Trigpointing UK.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Not all SOTA summits have trig points, and it is inconsiderate to use the trig on busy summits, so I have used fingers of rock, fence posts, trees, walls and even a great phallic standing stone to support my mast at various times - but a wedge of wood is a great idea and won’t weigh too much, and inserted from the side may correct for an irregular rock. I must sort through my spare lumber!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I don’t use them myself Brian in the normal course of activations. I think I’ve used them on maybe 10 or so activations. I make no claim for the idea of the wedge, I believe it was developed by Paul G4MD who will be along to claim license fees shortly.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I believe it was developed by Paul G4MD who will be along to claim license fees shortly.

Not as though he gets to deploy it very often as I normally bag the trig point… and I still haven’t made one!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to 2E0YYY:

"I bought half a dozen from B&M Stores, 3 for a quid. Useless. "

Ahh… I hadn’t realised you were using them to secure antennas! I (wrongly) assumed you meant for attaching antennas to roof-racks or something like that!

They last 6 months? That’s 5,436 activations for you Mike… sounds like ok value to me! :wink:

Funnily enough, I’ve never considered these for attaching antennas to anything “in the field” - I normally use cable ties.

Rob

In reply to G7LAS:
Hi Mike.

Another vote here for poundland and also Nisa.
The latter do packs with mixed sizes in them.

Liz

In reply to G7LAS:

I (wrongly) assumed you meant for attaching antennas to roof-racks or
something like that!

Not to be recommended unless you also use something else to tie luggage to roof racks… from someone who had several metal deck chairs from an oncoming car hitting the vehicle I was travelling in when /M in Caithness many years ago. Fortunately our vehicle was an old Land Rover so they just hit the bonnet/FOS and smashed the wing mirror instead of hitting the windscreen at a closing speed of >100mph. Needless to say bungees are banned from use with roof racks in this household!

Reg G3WPF

A couple of months ago, I picked up some superb bungeess from Poundland. They have aluminum Karabinas on each end. The ends that have been passed through the Karabinsa have even been heat shrinked.

On my first kite activation, I sliced through one with the kite line. Another visit to Poundland to replace it proved fruitless as they were out of stock. Today, at my local Poundland they were back in stock.

When buying, check the size on the packaging (I didn’t). They come in two sizes, 120 and 150cm.

I’ve bought plenty of them this time. I suspect these will sell out very quickly. Two colours are available, mid blue and a nice bright red. I’ve gone for the very easy to see red.

HTH someone

Mike 2O0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Thanks to Andy MM0FMF I am now an enthusiastic customer of Bouncing Rabbit http://www.bouncingrabbit.co.uk/index.htm who supply all the makings for bungees to satisfy your wildest dreams!

No financial interest just one Happy Bunny (sorry!)

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Yes, they’re an easy company to deal with. I made some thin lightweight bungees using their shockcord and fittings. I also bought some ready made fixing loops with toggles. I chose bright yellow cord as it stands out against the ground very well. The plastic fittings can be operated with cold fingers or when wearing gloves.

You can see the results in this photo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/7620618608/in/photostream

(warning: contains image of my face, don’t complain if your eyes burn after viewing)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM4TOE:

A very useful link, thanks very much for sharing Barry. I can see that one of my next home brew projects will involve elastic rope! Hopping for joy :slight_smile:

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike Have you thought of trying ratchet straps .Wilkinsons have some small ones with blue nylon straps .I have had some for years and still has good as new .73 Geoff .