Building a LoRa APRS 439Mhz iGate

That looks like a Waveshare Solar Power Management Module
Solar Power Management Module

I will do some digging about overcharging protection. My original 2M digipeater iGate project was going to use a 12 V 8Ah 96wh LifePo4, built-in BMS. The trouble is the minimum charging temp is 0° C but I would imagine during a UK winter that would only be at night when charging wasn’t taking place.

Just looked again and it’s a buck converter

1 Like

I had it on test whilst I went for a walk on the moors this morning:
https://aprs.fi/#!z=13&ts=1713052800&te=1713139200&call=a%2FG6GVI-11
It was working rather better than I’d expected, knowing the terrain around my QTH - and looking at the individual packets I can see several instances of reported SNRs as poor as -16dB (not sure what noise bandwidth that’s referred to?), yet they still decoded OK.

If anyone is going on the southern SP summits with 439MHz APRS, let me know beforehand and I’ll set it up for the day.

1 Like

Can someone educate me please? What are the relative merits between using 439MHz or 868MHz? I’ve heard that most users are on 868, so doesn’t using 439 limit your networking opportunities?

Thanks

439MHz is a ham band and not an unlicenced ISM band. So only hams on 439MHz.
433/4MHz is both ham and unlicenced ISM.
868MHz (2x 434) is unlicenced ISM.

Whilst hams can use 868 you’ll find the main APRS things will be on ham bands.

1 Like

I recently built one and have it running at the home QTH in IO75NX, Kilcreggan, Scotland. Even with the tracker inside the car with stubby antenna it does well. Hoping more pop up as mine is the only one for miles. Highland and Islands have them popping up everywhere just now.

2 Likes

868 is a just a craze, people are already saying it isn’t going to last. You will also get spammed on 868, where there is an opportunity for a scammer they will take it!

1 Like

The good news is my LoRa tracker arrived today…bad news is i managed to pick the one without the LED display attached. Looks like some soldering is needed and to work out which pins to solder to. Also need to order a 18650 battery.

Cheers
John
M0VAZ

1 Like

We do seem to like creating competition (Betamax v VHS; DMR v Fusion v DStar).

I suppose time will tell whether the technology continues to flourish and which bands will triumph. I’m going to have a play anyway as it’s quite cheap to get started

Here in VK3, there is a fair uptake of Meshtastic on 915MHz. I’ve been experimenting with it using Heltec modules and the range is surprising. Ive also set up a 433MHz LoRa iGate but it looks like there is only one other in VK3 at this stage.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY.

1 Like

This turned up yesterday (it does have a display), just wondering what can the pins be used for?

Adding a GPS or other sensor

1 Like

I was looking at this, 4.73€ 67% OFF|Bmp388 atmos phä risches drucksensor modul digitale temperatur für arduino elektronische diy board iic i2c spi 24bit geräuscharm| | - AliExpress