Building a LoRa APRS 439Mhz iGate

Cheers Dave.
I think there is a meshtastic node at Leasowe Lighthouse.

I am assuming this? 18.41€ |LILYGO® Disaster Radio LoRa V2.1_1.6.1 ESP32 433/868/915Mhz WIFI Drahtlose Bluetooth Modul 0,96 Zoll OLED SD Entwicklung Bord|Schaltungen| - AliExpress

1 Like

Dave, Funny enough I was going to ask about your setup. I am getting the parts together for a 2M AX25 Digipeater/iGate but it is taking its time. So I thought I’d put a 439 LoRA digipeater/Igate on air. The only thing is I want this to be powered by a battery charged by solar power, so it will be in a utility box in the garden. Is there any way of connecting an external wifi antenna possibly by a Rsp Pi Zero or Pico?
The video shows a 868 MHz installation but want I want to achieve is something similar with 439 APRS

1 Like

No. It doesn’t have the GPS module on it. You need this one…

Don’t forget to select the 433MHz version.

Dam Meshtastic; the prices have increased so much since this craze started. I paid $20 for mine!

There are also some nice 3D printable case designs on thingiverse and other sites - if you have access to a 3D printer.

https://www.printables.com/model/127253-t-beam-v1x-case-for-meshtastic

Dave

1 Like

I’m just the process of designing a Solar Digirepeater for installation at the top of my village - and for someone I promised this to last year. Although I live quite high up in the Peak District, there’s a rather large hill behind my QTH, so I need a standalone digirepeater (MB7UWS-2) - possibly Solar - to assist the iGate (MB7UWS-10) in getting out. I’ve therefore designed a PCB to take a Heltec LoRa 32 board (v3), a load of 18650s and a LM2596S based DC-DC converter.

It’s not very sophisticated but the PCB It’s designed to fit neatly in this IP67 box, with a 2.54mm 20 pin DIL pinheader to mount the Heltec board and a JST 1.25mm power header so the on-board TP4054 (Standalone Linear Li-lon Battery Charger) can trickle charge the 18650s.

Screenshot_2024-04-04_16-34-40

The Heltec LoRA V3 board is supported by Richard’s GitHub repos and Meshtastic, so this outdoor setup will work for both (with the right Heltec board - 433MHz for APRS or 868MHz for Meshtastic).

Everything on the Heltec Board is is available from here:

https://resource.heltec.cn/download/WiFi_LoRa_32_V3

Including the schematics:

Dave

1 Like

What are AliExpress like to deal with? Paypal or card payment?

£49+P&P from amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJ8XSZ1R/ref=twister_B0BJ8W9NL2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Both, what you like. I always use Paypal.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

2 Likes

Cheers

As an alternative to the ESP32 units, I see that there is a project to use a Raspberry Pi and a little radio board to make a LoRa APRS IGate:

I’ve not tried this myself, but have built something very similar for receiving High-Altitude Balloons using a Pi Zero 2W and an Ra02 LoRa board:

1 Like

PayPal.

Usually they are pretty good to deal with. I bought two Heltec V3 boards a few weeks back and one arrived dead. I raised a return ticket, I was sent a Royal Mail returns slip, I packaged it up took it to the post office, and a few days later I received a refund.

Dave

2 Likes

Is that a RP2040 Ross ?

Dave

Why do I need a GPS for a digipeater when I can enter the co-ords manually? If I am using CA2RXU LoRa APRS iGate/Digirepeater firmware, what benefit is Meshtastic? Sorry Dave I have loads of questions :slight_smile:

M0IQF down in Dunstable (he says Dunstable but he is in Luton) is using the Helltec and has used modified CA2RXU firmware LoRa APRS 439MHz - Dunstable area

No Dave, it’s a Pi Zero 2W
The “W” indicates that it has on-board WiFi.
(I think that the RP2040 board is the Pi Pico.)

RP2040 is Raspberry Pi Corp’s low end ARM processor, 2 ARM Cortex M0+ cores running at up to 133MHz and on chip RAM and FLASH and loads of IO stuff. Pi Pico and Pi Pico W are ARM’s single board systems using the RP2040 but there are many others. They are ridiculously cheap, ISTR that you can by a kickass performance Pi Pico for less than an Arduino board now, like £3 for a Pico and £5 for an Arduino !

You are absolutely correct, for a digirepeater either get the board that you suggested (Lilygo) or a Heltetec.Wifi LoRA V3, and use Richards GitHub repos. I know Martin (2e0bia) has soldered a ublox module on to the GPIO pins of the Heltec (i2c) to add GPS for Meshtatsic - not yet explored if Richards repo supports this as a cheaper way to build.a tracker.

Dave

1 Like

I ended up order from Amazon in the end, the delivery dates about the same - Amazon a couple of quid more overall. ETA middle of April

1 Like

I’ve now got a new microSD card and put together one of these, using an old Pi2B coupled to a little Ra-02 LoRa board:

I’ve just set it up as G6GVI-10 and tested it with my portable tracker (G6GVI-11) on the shed roof.
Interesting to see that it reports the SNR & RSSI values of the received signal too:

4 Likes

I have tried googling 18650 batteries and it comes up with everything but those batteries, do you you have a link? Thanks

I’ve sourced 18650 Li-ion cells from RS, Amazon and CPC in Preston:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18650-battery/s?k=18650+battery

Make sure you select Li-ion.

You get a torch, eight cells and charger with this one

I’ve had them on long term test and they seem to be OK for now.; although 14 days really isn’t long enough…

Note that they are non-protected so they do not have built in protection against overhcharging and, in particular, short circuits. The Heltec boards (not sure about the Lilygo) use a TP4054 for managing the Li-Ion battery connected to it, see here for the schematic (U3):

I’m no expert on 18650 cells, so maybe someone else can recommend something better.

Dave

3 Likes