Build A 9g (0.3oz) Microphone For Portable Radio Operation

The top three questions I get asked are, in no particular order:

1. What is wrong with you?
  2. Please stop, won’t you think of the children?
  3. What is that weird mic you’re using?

Here is the answer to number 3!

8 Likes

Chris,
Even your video about putting a connector on the baofeng headset is entertaining and it sure looks simple.

I wonder if v2 of this mod could be not snipping off the earpiece but leaving it there and using it. Headphone reception is much better than blasting a summit with noise. And helps when listening for pipsqueak signals from vk.

I know this would mean either putting two connectors on the radio end of the cable or making an adaptor for the TRRS plug to convert to separate mike and earphone plugs. Could be worth it.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Gidday mate! :smiley:

I thought the exact same thing originally but I don’t personally like copying using a single ear - I much prefer using both my ears, maybe I’m deaf but I find it a lot easier to focus and copy while ignoring environmental elements like high wind with both ears plugged. I just use regular old wired earbuds!

You’re 100% right though, you could certainly chuck another plug on and keep the earpiece. You might need to split the ground between plugs, but other than that - easy! :slight_smile:

Thanks Andrew - catch you on the bands mate!

2 Likes

i guess i’m one of the guys that asked question #3 recently … thanks for the video!

73 martin, oe5reo

2 Likes

Thanks for the video, Chris. This is really ingenious!
Built mine a couple days ago and made the only possible mistake: confused GND and PTT :rofl:

73, Roman

3 Likes

You got it mate - no worries! :slight_smile:

Haha awesome work! :smiley:

Hello, like this

3 Likes

“a multimeter is super handy”… especially before you cut the plugs off

2 Likes

Geeze I haven’t seen a MASH clip in years! :rofl: