Brew Kits

Hi All,

I am looking at shaving some weight from my activating kit. Currently, I lug a jetboil etc. For those post hike in pick me ups as well as warm ups on the early/cool days.

Love to see your ideas.

Wade

VK1FWBD.com

BRS Titanium Stove, Small gas Canister, Toaks 550ml cup… coffee packets and a lighter, in a bag… ~300g

4 Likes

Perhaps simply a Thermos flask?

2 Likes

I like the simplicity - the spill risk on the radios kinda negates :confused:

W

I think that’s a pretty small risk - steel flask stored upright in external pocket separate from radio (which is in its own bag anyway to protect it from the elements and knocks).

I was going to say that the water is usually the heaviest component, but I’m guessing that from your comment you plan on sourcing that locally? In which case Richard’s kit is probably the best compromise on reliability, space and weight. In winter I take a flask. In summer I take water and find a coffee shop after the walk

1 Like

The “trekmates” range are more stable than the standard Thermos as they’re designed for walkers. So may be worth a look - tried looking on eBay in Oz for yer, but the prices are high as it only shows imports from the UK - perhaps some other make sold in camping and hiking shops in Australia are available?

Hmm, just checked Bunnings - their prices are double those on eBay - so it may be worth importing from the UK after all!

Or check what this company in Germany wants for shipping -

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trekmates-Food-flask-Thermoskanne-mit-Loffel-Edelstahl-Essensbehalter-im-scho-/381623307366?hash=item58da858c66:g:sw0AAOSwSlBY3Yw5

Shipping out of Germany is cheaper than out of the UK.

73 Ed.

The advantage of having a regular brew kit and a 600ml cup is that you can easily add to your bag a dehydrated meal for a hot lunch or dinner if you’re going to be out longer in cold weather.

I have occasionally used a smaller Steel vacuum flask, but it weighs 374g empty.

1 Like

My south wales breakfast brew last month :slight_smile:
my cook kit fits in the 1100ml toaks (with the 100 canister)

I had proper Ethiopian coffee too!

A 550-600ml size pot is necessary to re-hydrate a Mountain House meal (needs 2-cups boiling water).

The smaller size gas canister will generally fit in a 600ml pot along with the BRS stove (~$10 on Amazon/Ebay) a lighter and a few coffee packets.

1 Like

Why take dead weight such as brew kits and fuel etc. when you can just carry MORE chocolate?

2 Likes

I hard to believe, but to some of us, Coffee is more important than Chocolate… Really. :smile:

Some of us are diabetics and the chance to safely consume chocolate exceeds my addictions to coffee, whisky, rum & vodka martinis! :head_bandage:

1 Like

If you want lightweight, a cat food can stove can’t be beat: Andrew Skurka has a good tutorial here. It is slower than a jetboil, but it also doesn’t sound like a jet engine when you use it. For a pot, just find a lightweight titanium or aluminum one.

All depends on what you are using it for on overnight stops it is gas for me, but for the occasional brew or soup on a hike it is either a meth stove (you can make your own) or hexi blocks.

I use a small wind shield and rocks to shelter it from the wind and windproof matches/lighter to ignite.

Hi Wade

This is my kit - a cheap burner, ÂŁ4.99 from supermarket, igniter, gas canister + stand, double skinned mug and aluminium pot.
It weighs just less than an empty 1 litre steel thermos flask.

In practice I usually leave it in the car for a welcome brew on my return. I’m with Andy and the chocolate - in poor conditions I just drink water and eat calories, no wish to faff about with hot drinks. Then again, I rarely stay on a summit for more than an hour, and rarely walk for more than a couple of hours each way.
It is arguably better than a flask, though, as the bits can be distributed around a tightly packed rucksack; the drink / food can be boiling hot; you can use a local water source.

The most interesting thing to me, was my discovery of Iso butane, which the Jetboil canister contains. Produced as a refrigerant to replace CFCs, it has a low boiling point. I can confirm that the stove works below 0c quite well, unlike “normal” butane / propane mix without pre-heat coils etc. I use the cheaper variety during summer :wink:

Adrian
G4AZS

Hi Wade,

The Metho stove and small pot / cup would be you lightest option.
Personally I just use a 300ml thermos for my hot drinks, whilst it would be heavy than a small stove, it is just quicker and easier to use.

The bushwalkers know how to save weight, and there is a great forum in Oz at, Bushwalk Australia • Forums Index

Warren vk3byd

1 Like