Bobbins activation on Hutton Roof Crags

A pleasant and productive weekend in Westmorland drew to a close with a superb cooked breakfast at The Strickland Arms, Great Strickland. Now the day - Sunday 11th July 2010 - was my own, so it was SOTA time! Jimmy wasn’t with me, so my choice was restricted to a repeat of one we had both done previously.

I selected Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052, so headed south down the M6 from Shap to J36, where I diverted down through Burton-in-Kendal and across to the Plain Quarry car park.

Each time I visit this one, there appears to be an even greater labyrinth of paths and trails than before, but they all seem to lead up to the summit or down to the car park - which is handy!

At the top, I opened up on 2m FM with the VX-7R handheld, quickly getting four contacts including S2S with Ian 2E0EDX/P on Helvellyn G/LD-003. I tried 17m CW with the FT-817 and MM17 vertical with groundplane, but attracted only a long ragchew with a YO station and a poor report of 229 from HB9BIN. It wasn’t good at all. Absolutely bobbins in fact.

Back on 2m FM, I logged three more, including S2S with Sam M0SJJ/P on Gummer’s How G/LD-050. After a pleasant easy stroll down to the car, I put my foot down and sped back to Macc.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It’s a very pleasant hill Tom. I really enjoyed my quick activation of it last December. So much so that I’ll probably do it again on the way up/down the M6 next week.

Andy
MM0FMF

LD-052 and LD-046 are both perfect when passing by on the M6.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Certainly I thoroughly enjoyed LD-046 yesterday afternoon, a short but delightful walk and a terrific view all around. One of the little bonuses of SOTA is that it will guide an activator onto apparently insignificant little hills that he would otherwise pass by without a second glance, perhaps en route to bigger fare, and reward him with unexpected pleasure. A dozen FM contacts, including three S2S, on an ancient but servicable FT290R1 was the icing on the cake!

Brian G8ADD

Glad you enjoyed it Brian. Which of the various activating “perches” did you use? Was the wind farm in action yesterday? From one side of the wall, it’s almost as though you can reach out and touch one of them!

You would also probably enjoy LD-058 if you’ve not done it already, on a future occasion.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

One turbine was stationary, Tom, but though they were close I was surprised not to hear them - they can be noisy brutes at times! They also did little to spoil the view, though I found the concrete “blockhouse” a bit obtrusive en route. I used protruding rocks on the wall to fix my pole to with duct tape (and as always the used tape came back with me) but forgot to sit on my waterproof so I came back with a damp derriere! Despite the gloomy sky the skylarks were in full voice and a curlew called from the other side of the wall, I could have stayed there all day but Pauline was still limping from her collision with the dog and was stuck in the car so I just stuck to FM.

Thanks, I’ll bear Arnside in mind, Tom, but I am going up to the hut in Newlands with the club at the end of the month and if the weather gods are with me I intend to do the round of Dale Head and Robinson. I love that narrow ridge heading from Dale Head to Robinson, but I suspect that it is a feature that you would at best just tolerate!

Brian G8ADD

I have no trouble with that section Brian. I know that RQJ who also dislikes heights/exposure can’t get past it, but I find it rather broad and not intimidating in the slightest. We’ve done it a couple of times, but never as a round - wonder what the return leg is?

First time was linear from Honister to Buttermere, but I didn’t care much for the descent into Buttermere. Not at 6pm on a dark late November night anyway!

2nd time was Honister - Dale Head - Robinson - Dale Head - Honister, ie back the way we came, which was a much better route than descending to Buttermere and getting transport back up.

But I have never seen or understood what difficulty the saddle between LD-020 and LD-021 could possibly cause - and I’m rubbish with heights!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I have no trouble with that section Brian. I know that RQJ who also
dislikes heights/exposure can’t get past it, but I find it rather
broad and not intimidating in the slightest. We’ve done it a couple
of times, but never as a round - wonder what the return leg is?

The Newlands Hut is halfway between the old Castlenook and Goldscope mines,the circuit would be Dale Head, a diversion to bag Hindscarth (pity it isn’t a Marilyn!) if I’m feeling sporting, then on to Robinson, then follow the north-east ridge path to High Snab and pick up the footpath to Low Snab and up the Mine Road back to the hut. This is a delightful circuit and lets you see those hills in their most spectacular aspects…and as a geologist there are various mine spoil heaps to dally over whilst I pretend that I am not out of breath!

If you stuck to the top of the ridge descending Dale Head you aren’t as rubbish with exposure as you think you are!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
Certainly not going to disagree about the weekend, excellent time; however, you obviously headed in the correct direction.

I got to the parking spot for Cold Fell, decided to activate in trail shoes rather than my boots which were still afloat after Friday. Stepped out of the car, hit by torrential rain. Went home!

Now to hope we have better weather for a Cairngorm sortie in August.

Barry GM4TOE

Let’s leave the options open like last time Barry. IIRC, we looked at the wx early in the week of my holiday and nominated the best day at that late stage. Which worked well.

I bet your walking companion Tommy doesn’t mind poor wx - or does he?

Tom M1EYP