Blackpool Rally 2019

Three day trip for me (and two overnights to include). I certainly didn’t miss my shoes sticking to the carpet at Norbreck!
Even the Scottish rally in Glasgow requires an overnight.

1 Like

Neil is G0WPO.

Thanks for the pictures :smiley:

Sorry John, one more error, Emily’s callsign is 2E1AEQ, not 2E0AEQ. I know this because her son Edward @2E0NSR has been a good friemd of mine since primary school and I know when this that Emily got the old 2E1 Novice licence bavk in the early 1990’s just before Edward when born. I guess Edward won’t have seen your above post yet as he would normally correct you straight away if he’d have seen it. Edward’s dad Ray G0DMV normally goes to the rally as well and I’m sure he would have been there with Emily and Edward Sunday just gone, I but don’t see him mentioned above.

Jimmy M0HGY

Oh woe is me!!
Another two. Must be my age. The onset of cloth ears is responsible for the Neil error but Emily’s callsign is plain as day on Roy’s card. I know I did this when tired but I must have alienated half the amateur fraternity! There’s nothing worse than getting someone’s pride and joy callsign wrong.

Any more??
…………………

Paul:
You remind me of the aftermath of the Scarborough Amateur Radio junk sales. The missus must see only the departing and not the arrival. I used to leave it in the car boot and dribble it in! Sounds like you do something similar. I fear my loft will cave in one day.

Barry:
Yes, you did well to get down the other year. It’s no day trip that’s for sure and you can’t afford 3-days that often with all the orders you have to get out! Maybe another time. Hope so.

Helen:
Pleasure. Yours came out particularly well. Sorry I was confused at the rally. I was mixing you up with another lady op in Holme Firth but I did recall our QSO’s in the end. After today I will be known as Mr. Confused.

Thanks Jimmy:
You explained that in such a sensitive way. You correctly sussed out that I am upset and embarrassed enough!

37, Nojh
SY4SG
(OX0GOOP/)

6 Likes

Thanks John for correcting this, sorry to have sounded sensitive to you on this and if you did upset you I am sorry although I guess yu are joking anyway. Thank you for expaining that the callsign on Roy G4SSH’s card was written as 2E0AEQ rather than 2E1AEQ, I may message this tgread to Emily 2E1AEQ as she isn’t registrered on this reflector so she can see this along with those great photos of yours. Looks like you had a great day at the rally and you enjoyed meeting and catching up with the SOTA people there. Me and my dad Tom M1EYP couldn’t be at the rally this year due to my dad gigging in Workington that evening.

Jimmy M0HGY

Yes, only kidding. I’m not upset at all of course and even the embarrassment is minor as luckily people (not least my family) realise I’m a bit nutty anyway and probably half expect mistakes. I will certainly encourage error spotting on my reports in future. Judging by this thread they must be full of them! My son just texted me to say there were two in my WAB OV00 report too. I put that on today so maybe I’m having one of those bad 24 hours.

Emily had written her call correctly as 2E1AEQ on Roy’s card by the way. It was plain to see.

OK on the gig. I thought it might be one of your Dad’s other hobbies that prevented him coming but also thought he might have gone before I arrived.

Glad you liked the photos and I never ever thanked you for looking after G summits so I’ll do it here.
Thanks for that Jimmy.
73, John

Another rally come and gone. I did have a few things to buy and didn’t get any of them. Never mind.

On the stand…thanks are due to Rob G4RQJ and Audrey. Audrey brought some delicious cakes and Rob did his best. Rob has a few eye problems at present which is why he looks like Roy Orbison in the photos. Simon G4TJC did plenty of stand duty and also had some nifty printouts of all the summits I’ve activated and completed in the UK, Europe and Africa. Colin M1BUU brought a selection of Altoids radio and plenty of talking to visitors. Geoff G6MZX was there helping out too. A special thank you to Allan GW4VPX who offered a few hours of stand time so others on the stand could have a break and actually see the rally.

Richard G3CWI provided some new poles to support the banner and then didn’t charge usfor them which was very generous. His wife came around later looking at hats for Richard so we were pleased to give her a hat to give to him. It sounds like she has decided to keep it for herself. That’s one smooth operator :smiley:

I had long chats to Helen and Caroline (M0YHB / G6WRW) about 13cms and QO-100 working, a good chat with Gerald and Paul (G4OIG and G4MD) I think the 1st time I’ve seen Gerald in person since they took him in and de-coked him, cleaned out his manifolds and fitted a new head gasket! He actually looked rather healthy. Loads and loads of other visitors came by and I had a nice chat to David G0EVV. David and many others said thank you for what I do. I have quite a high visibility compared to some others on the MT who help run SOTA, so I’m accepting those “thank you’s” on behalf of all of the team. It was a pleasure to organise a best wishes card for Roy G4SSH signed by the SOTA visitors, best was getting John G4YSS to hand deliver it. That way I knew it would get there guaranteed.

I had a good time despite not buying what I wanted, Norbreck was the dump we all know and love (hate) and I had a great time staying with Geoff G6MZX for a few days. Oh and the summits on and around the A65 are spectacular on a nice day. I’m very jealous of people who live near them despite having all of Scotland to play in myself.

If I’ve missed anyone, sorry. Same time next year?

4 Likes

No problem John, I know you have always encouraged error spotting expeically as we all know that you make loads of errors on your activating report. I am plessed to hear now that Emily’s callsign on the card was definatley written as 2E1AEQ. It’s always a pleasure looking after the G SOTA summits and look forward to more of your activation reports.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Yes Andy,

Thanks for all you do from me too! SOTA is a great hobby but it wouldn’t be a fraction of what it has become without the ongoing improvements that the MT have brought. Appreciated!
73, John

2 Likes

I echo your comments John.
Glad to have met up with so many "wellken’t calls and voices, and being able to associate those with the actual "visuals , hi!
Christine and I very much appreciated the whole experience and we hope to meet a few more next time around.
Looking forward to many more SOTA contacts.
Ken
GM0AXY

1 Like

I enjoyed meeting many of the SOTA family at Blackpool. Thanks John for a new complete (G/NP-022) for me travelling over with Dave G3TQQ/M and his twin brother Philip. I also enjoyed an inspirational chat with Mike 2E0YYY about working the dx. Just check out his log for G/SP-004 on 6 April 2019 it is truly amazing. I hope to be there again next year and thanks to the SOTA team on the stand. I must remember to breathe in next time the photographs are taken or maybe get out SOTAing a bit more in the next twelve months!

Nick G4OOE

3 Likes

Thanks for the flowers Nick, great to have a chat. It’s amazing what can be done with microphone and an antenna made out of a bit of speaker wire.

73 Mike

2 Likes

That is, essentially, the attraction / fascination of amateur radio (don’t forget the transceiver too)

3 Likes

A bit belatedly, but I thought there should be a photo of the photographer.

John with Ken GM0AXY, me and Christine GM4YMM

8 Likes