Birthday Bash 2020

Bummer! But fully understandable, especially after having done Killer Mountain myself in easy conditions unlike yourselves.

Many thanks for the best wishes. Unfortunately we suspect that Paul may have a chest infection and the considerable exertions of the past couple of days have not helped. While we have a couple of options planned for tomorrow, we will need to review the situation this evening once Paul has had a rest. The double whammy is that Paul is driving this trip, so getting back home is the priority. We will update when we can.

1 Like

We’ll be back!

Ditto Mark, many thanks for giving it a go excellent signals despite the non-optimal antenna :slight_smile:

Very spooky hearing yourself talking :-s

Look forward to catching you again soon,

73 de Paul G4MD

After quite a bit of discussion, we have decided to alert for the local lump of Dumyat GM/SS-216 at 09:30 tomorrow morning. This will present the least effort before the 320 mile drive south to Paul’'s QTH. However, should Paul not feel well enough, I will advise of our intentions on SOTAWatch.

I feel for you having come so far and achieved not so much. Well you have qualified a couple of reasonably tough summits but you know what I mean.

You did bring some good WX with you and it should be OK tomorrow. I have cabin fever as so many weekends have been a washout or a blowout that I have taken tomorrow off work and will go and do something local. Probably East and West Lomond. I doubt I’ll be QRV when you get to Dumyat summit assuming things go well for you and Paul.

1 Like

Back home safe now, for a weekend of R+R :wink: Just like to say thanks for all the expressions of concern and good wishes, and particularly to Gerald looking after me… Despite not fulfilling all our aspirations had a fantastic time and the views from Ben A’an and the reflections of the snow-capped mountains in the surrounding lochs will be with me long after the pain of climbing Meall Gainmheich is forgotten!

Sorry we missed you Andy, we did hang on in the hope of catching you but couldn’t afford to wait too long - we were down Dumyat when your first spot arrived :frowning:

Thanks again to all the chasers who helped make this expedition special. Next planned outing to GM is the “Bag the Ben” trip to Fort William in early June, in the meantime we plan an intensive programme of more local training sessions using the “B” calls so hope to be working you all again soon :slight_smile:

73 for now,

Paul G4MD

2 Likes

I thought you might but in my case 9 weeks without activating because of the bad WX at weekends took its toll on my performance, i.e. s-l-o-w! I managed 11.6km and only 365m of ascent but I feel I have been up the Eiger today. I do 7km on a rowing machine 5 days/week but it surprised me how quickly hill-fitness is lost.

Good to hear you’re back safe. Driving on a Friday down the M6 is bad enough but if you’re not too well, miserable.

Only snow above 700m when I did it but I know what you mean.

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s the one! Worth the exertion for that view alone I think.

2 Likes