Bicycle Mobile

In reply to G7GCR:

Of course, if you really want to have high end bicycle mobile, then
you need to be thinking of this kind of setup:-
http://microship.com/bike/index.html

:slight_smile:

Matt

My god, he was typing binary! And I thought I’ve seen many thing on earth!

Thanks much for the link!

Last night’s operation declared a success!
Best DX: Cuba; not arrested.

http://mm0hai.net/blog/2011/03/21/HF-Bicycle-Mobile-Experiment-Part-2.html

VA2SG: I might try an alert then, thanks.

“keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling”
So there is an exception for using a radio. :slight_smile:

M0CEF: I’d found the BMHA before but was hoping also for something closer to here. I didn’t know there was much information on it - the site design is rather poor if so as I couldn’t find anything.

G7GCR: I found the microship website when searching for bike antennas I think. I had been dreaming about (and started to draw some plans for) something like that before I found it. It’s good that he has done it because it shows it is possible but annoying that I would not be the first. Perhaps I will manage to build up to something of that standard anyway and I expect I could improve on it with more modern technology.

I went up Blackford Hill today and took some photos and video of the system. It was, surprisingly, resilient enough for a short bit of offroad riding.

http://mm0hai.net/blog/2011/03/25/HF-Bicycle-Mobile-Experiment-Part-3.html

In reply to MM0FMF:
I don’t think it is limited to phones - it is ‘handheld devices’.
So, the radio, GPS etc. must be ‘fixed’ into the vehicle - this includes those Tetra handhelds one sees parked on uniform shoulders.

For bicycle mobile have a chat to Simon, G4SGI, he does a lot of that around the Cotswolds.

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

You’re right, it is of course limited to handheld devices. But only those devices that perform an interactive comms function, i.e. those that transmit and receive. The frequencies involved are specified so it only applies to 2g/3g phones.

GPS, iPods and the like aren’t covered because they don’t have 2way radio capablities (and don’t use the proscribed frequencies). Amateur radio or professional radio is not included due to the frequencies involved. So the ABSOLUTE OFFENSE of using a handheld device does not apply to them but all the other offenses do.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It is interesting that GPS isn’t covered. It is actually two way but not under the control of the driver. On the other hand it is a major distraction, chunters endlessly at you, causes apoplexy when it tries to send you down a closed off street, bleeps, when the road gets complex you spend time looking at it that should be spent in looking at the road…and so on. A mixed blessing!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It is actually two way

What, your GPS transmits on 890.0 - 915.0MHz or 1710.0 - 1785.0MHZ or 1920–1980MHz?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G8ADD:

It is actually two way

What, your GPS transmits on 890.0 - 915.0MHz or 1710.0 - 1785.0MHZ or
1920–1980MHz?

Some do - they connect to the cellular network for traffic updates.

Dave M0MYA

In reply to 2E0BTR:

Well there you go… I’ve learned something new. Do they do that automatically or do you have to push a button to make them? If they do it on their own then they’ll probably be exempt.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Ah, now that (being a pedestrian, or sometimes a cyclist at best!) is something I couldn’t tell you!

Dave M0MYA.

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Whilst entering a SOTA log, I looked up Simon, G4SGI on QRZ - he gives a full description of his bicycle set up together with a link to the Youtube video.

I remembered this thread and thought it might be useful but Matt beat me to it.

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to M0MYA:

Nor me! My boss uses it when we do site tests (he can’t navigate to save his life), but I have a printed out route to navigate from and ignore the voice from the windscreen!

Brian G8ADD