Ben Macdui tomorrow

Attempting rockmite activation of ES-001 tomorrow, as a relative cw novice I may be biting off more than I can chew but we’ll see. If the band is busy around 7.029 it may not happen. If so I should be ok on 20m with the sw+20 which is having its first outing, this one may drift a little if it’s very cold. I’ll adjust the vfo to try and stay on qrg.

Hope I’ll be able to work some of you. I’ve not been out for a while, so with good weather forecast I’m quite looking forward to Ben Macdui via Lurchers Crag.

In reply to MM0GYX:

Good luck tomorrow. I shall be stuck at work though I’ll keep an eye on the SMSbot just in case. Your test spot came through OK. I’ve deleted now.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Andy, there’s another sms on its way. I forgot how to use it and wanted to insert the mode and see the comment, I forgot the mode first time round. I’m happy now though.

In reply to MM0GYX:

Result!

Ian’s been spotted by Rich N4EX on 20m using his sw+20 QRP rig. That’s 5900km +/- on 2.5W. Sweet :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

5900km +/- on 2.5W. Sweet :wink:

Even better - An SW20+ doesn’t actually put out 2.5W - it puts out around 1.5 Watt on 13.5V and nearer to 1 Watt from a typical SLAB supply. That’s with the wick turned up!

I strongly suspect Ian’s rig is running a whole lot less than 2.5W!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to MM0GYX:
Ben Macdui via Lurchers Crag.

Hi Ian, Hope the WX was good and the rigs got you plenty of contacts.

Last time I activated that one was 03 & 04 August 1993 with an 8W home brew on 80m CW. Your post here was read with considerable envy as I would dearly love to go back & do it again for SOTA!

73, John.

Me and Jimmy did it with Barry GM4TOE, and combined it with ES-005 for a 20 point outing. A great day’s walking. The curry in Aviemore afterwards was very welcome, but the drive back to Lossiemouth was not :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0GYX:
Good luck,
Was up there last May (from Derry Lodge) with radio gear but the weather was so bad I didn’t take it out of the rucksack. Five of us huddled in the ruin near the top, horizontal sleet and hail, visibility frequently down to about 10m or less. Wonderful !
Hope to get up again in a couple of months (from Aviemore side) and maybe get on the air - 2m only as companions definitely NOT interested in radio so no chance of HF.

Keith.

In reply to M0CGH:
Hi Colin,
I can get my SW+20 up to 2.5W at full drive and 14 volts, but as you say with the 3 cell lipo and the drive turned down a little I get just shy of 1.5 watts.

Very nice day to go up ES-001, a little hazy but high pressure and no rain. Ideal for a bit of experimenting with the SWL rigs, if I didn’t already know these rigs are great value I do now!

Ian.

In reply to G4YSS:
John,
I’m a very lucky man, I work for the Queen and she (indirectly) had me posted up here. With the xyl at college, the kids at school and me on leave today I was at the ski lodge by 0900, summit at 1145 and back down to the car by 1530. The knees are feeling it as I came down via the 1141m cairn in order to flank the northern corries, no climbers out today though.

Hope you can get back up ES-001 sometime.

Ian

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom,

I had considered that myself, but didn’t think I’d have the daylight at this time of year. It’s a very efficient way to activate “middle hill”. I walked back that way-ish and got fine views of it, loch avon and shelter stone crag, lovely.
I had to drive back to Elgin, I work at Lossie.
Ian

In reply to G8HXE:
Keith,

It was benign today, although a stiff breeze at the summit meant it felt chilly. I like the northern approach, nice gradual height gain.
Ian

In reply to MM0GYX:

Fine business Ian.

I trimmed my SW20+ to run at exactly 1 watt from a 12.6V supply - about the voltage from a charged SLAB. I soldered the PCB at the end of last year, but I didn’t get around to putting the board into a case and wiring it up until early this year. I set up a temporary dipole antenna in the garden last Sunday so that I could try the SW20+ and do the RX alignment.

I really enjoyed using the SW20+, I worked 4 stations from the garden (LZ,I,9A & HA). I normally use a RockMite, so the SW20+'s performance blew me away! It’s amazing to hear just one station at a time! The sidetone is very nice too, being a real sidetone and not one generated as a square wave from a PIC. I find that the RockMite sidetone annoys me after a while. I tried smoothing filter on the sidetone, but I found that it cut out the lower frequency ‘program’ tones.

I have decided that outside of my ‘PP3 challenge’ activity, I will use the SW20+ as my SOTA rig of choice. I found it quite difficult to send nicely with my straight key, after using a Palm Mini Paddle for the last couple of Month’s. I have a PicoKeyer chip from N0XAS, so I think I will make up a little circuit board and wire it into the rig so I can use my paddle key. I am quite tempted by the ‘FreqMite’ too.

I love Dave K1SWL’s kits - he is a very clever man, I just wish he had more kits to choose from! I find it amazing that the RockMite started life as a party favour, it was intended as a novelty to build at Lobstercon so they could have QSO’s across the convention site!

I am very envious of your activation today - and I hope the SWL rigs continue to provide great value!

Colin
M0CGH
(owner of 3 RockMites, 4 home brew RockMites and an SW20+!)

In reply to M0CGH:
Colin,

My SW+20 needed some tinkering to get the sidetone where I like it, 700hz. It does drift slightly too during transmit, possibly heat build up, but settles down eventually. Your right though, it’s a very useable rig and I’ve made a lot of contacts from home with mine, often getting 599 reports.

I embodied the RIT mod in mine using the schematics on Dave’s site, it’s an easy mod and very effective. I use it quite often. I have the freq-mite too, again, very good kit. I can recommend that to you, it will change your vfo range slightly though due to loading. Mine dropped by about 10kHz. I now have 14.016-14.061 MHz (ish).

I have a KX1 kit coming, but would like to do another SW+, maybe 30?

Ian.