These look like the 4AH LiPOs we both bought it 2009. I still have two of them doing “shack duty” and IMHO they are better constructed than the batteries I have purchased since, hence their longevity. As your photo shows, the swelling on their demise is not excessive, but still obvious. Newer batteries I’ve had die on me have swollen much more.
The subject of batteries was part of the discussion that I had with Paul G4MD on Zoom last night. He was prompted to check his batteries which appear to be in good condition despite his protracted layoff from activating. I noted that all the batteries that I’ve had that have died were accidentally left connected to a load and drained of all charge, the first being one of the 2009 LiPOs when I left the 817 switched on after we activated Ailsa Craig.
Yes, those are 2009 vintage purchase. Gordon Bennett! That’s 17 years ago Gerald. I was still in my 40s then. Just look at how little grey there is in my beard!!!
Probably wise, all things considered.
It’s LiPo/LiIon cells that have a cathode that decomposes in the presence of high temperatures into Lithium metal and Oxygen. Let’s see an exceptionally flammable metal and Oxygen together with heat and/or flames: what can possibly go wrong… LiFePo cells don’t do that, sure the plastic material may burn in a fire but and they produce lots of current when shorted that can make sparks etc. but they don’t produce a fire that is self-sustaining and inextinguishable.
yeah. i found the invoice for my FT817. 2016 i bought it for £459.95 from Nevada, and this battery is older than that as i bought it to power my TS-480 which i used for a couple of activations as the lead acid battery was a bit heavy with the ts-480 all in my rucksack i was using before i got this Lifepo4 battery!
I’ll look for a nice small battery for the ft817 as thats all it needs to power these days.
On its initial outing it powered my 817 for 2 hours running 2.5W SSB (driving a small linear powered by a 4.2AH LiFePO4) plus 15 minutes of 2m FM at 5W. Total current drawn 1.55AH. Weighs 220g. I’m thinking I might try a pair of 2 cell holders mounted back to back and blade fuses for the Mk2 version.