Batterie-check at security-control on airport

Recently I spent a few days in southern spain (EA7), enjoying two (first)activations. Thanks for those stations chasing me or even working me S2S.

Since last spring I use a LiFePO4 battery (10Ah) for my activations.
Unfortunately I had no reports about experiences with this battery-type at airport-security-controls. So I took my old Pb-battery-block (10Ah) into my handbaggage. The battery always was inspected carefully by security-staff. I was told by them, that it would not have been any problem having the LiFePO4-type with me, as the only criterion for “allowed” or “not allowed” is “dry” or “fluid”. So batteries in dry type should not cause problems.

Are there contradictional experiences or opinions on that or can anybody agree with me???

73, Franz
OE5FSM

In reply to OE5FSM:
…that it

would not have been any problem having the LiFePO4-type with me, as
the only criterion for “allowed” or “not allowed” is “dry” or “fluid”.
So batteries in dry type should not cause problems.

Unfortunately it is not as easy as this, and a single experience at one airport does not make a rule for all and everywhere. The main cause of concern are lithium-containig batteries.
In the regulations of Air Transport Authorities, a statement like this can be found.

To prevent unintentional short-circuiting and fires, there is a limit for packing loose lithium batteries, which are commonly used in digital cameras, cell phones, PDAs and laptop computers. For your checked airline baggage, batteries must be installed in the electronic device. You are limited to 8 grams (100-watt hours) of lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage, and they must be properly protected in original packaging or a protective case.

The transportation security officer at the airport may deem certain items too dangerous to permit through the checkpoint. Be aware that the list of permitted and prohibited items will be updated as necessary.

Another explanation can be found here:
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/trave … trictions/

I once spent an hour in the custody of a (friendly) police officer, while my Li-Po was taken for inspection.

vy 73 Martin df3mc

In reply to DF3MC:

I once spent an hour in the custody of a (friendly) police officer, while my Li-Po was taken for inspection.

I once spent half an hour stood at a check-in desk while my Li-Po was taken for inspection. I even had to supply them with a copy of the IATA rules - they didn’t know what rules they operated under! I now say nothing at check-in and declare that I am carrying amateur radio equipment at security. No issues so far with this approach - the last time at Faro in the Algarve, they didn’t even want to look at what I was carrying.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Here in Australia, I checked with the airline before going to the airport and I got in writing (email) from them that the battery must be packed in the hold baggage and that I should tell the airline check-in desk that it was there. When I did, they honestly said “I don’t know” and had to call their office, who promptly said NO! It has to be in cabin/hand baggage as the hold may be de-pressurised and the battery may destroy itself. As long as the connectors are taped up with insulation tape, LIPO’s (and I presume LifePOs) are allowed to be carried in cabin baggage. I have had no problems since, with the batteries (2 x 5000MaH 3S) in my cabin baggage.

In reply to OE5FSM:

Here you will find the official IATA Rules for Dangerous Goods.
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx

Including the famous Table 2.3.A in different languages and
a pdf called “lithium battery passenger pamphlet”.

Always good to have a copy with you - hi.

73 de Chris, OE3CHC

In reply to OE3CHC:

Chris, tnx for your precise link concerning this important topic

73, Franz
OE5FSM

In reply to VK2JI:

Yes, the batteries have to be carried in the cabin baggage and the terminals taped up. I put mine in the bags that you can get to charge them in - not as though I do charge them in the bags, but transporting them that way shows that I have taken every possible precaution. There is a limit to the amount of battery capacity that can be carried, but I would suggest that the limit is above what any normal person would consider to be practical.

Now define “normal”! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald!

…hhhmmm… :wink:

there are LiFePo4’s with 10Ah 12V on the market…
they fit easily in the hand luggage,
but with 120Wh you are over the first security limit …

73, Chris OE3CHC

In reply to OE3CHC

Hi Chris,

I use the ZIPPY 4 CELL 13.V 4200mAh and work very well in low temps
they also fit well in hand luggage.

73 Terry G0VWP

In reply to OE3CHC:

Indeed Chris, but my reference to “normal” was based on an FT-817 and a couple of 4AH (or smaller) 11.1V LiPos, this being what I usually take. I suppose I should have said “average”. :slight_smile:

For larger batteries up to the 160WH upper limit (with the carrier’s agreement), I would definitely seek written clearance before travelling. From experience, it is not easy trying to deal with airport staff at the check-in desk.

73, Gerald G4OIG