Bard Knows About SOTA

I have signed up to try BARD, the new Google AI.

In answer to the question "What equipment do I need for a SOTA activation it replied:

" Here is a list of equipment you need for a SOTA activation:

• Radio: A portable radio with at least 5 watts of power is recommended.
  • Antenna: An antenna that is appropriate for the band you are operating on.
  • Power supply: A battery or solar panel to power your radio.
  • Logbook: A logbook to record your contacts.
  • Pens: Pens to record your contacts.
  • First aid kit: A first aid kit in case of any accidents.
  • Food and water: Food and water for the duration of your activation.
  • Clothing: Clothing appropriate for the weather conditions.
  • Navigation equipment: Navigation equipment, such as a map and compass, in case you get lost.
  • Emergency equipment: Emergency equipment, such as a whistle and a survival bag, in case of an emergency.

Here are some additional tips for SOTA activation:

• Choose a summit that is accessible by foot or bike."

Not perfect but not a bad summary I think. It actually offered three different responses, which were all broadly similar. The above is just one of them.

7 Likes

I think the current generation of AI engines, with all the updates that have hit this month, are about to hit a tipping point, It seems they are going be the next major disruptor for technology.
Try this in ChatGPT for example, “Write python code to convert an ADIF log file format to a SOTA CSV log file”
I was blown away, with not only its ability to write code, but to know things like what an ADIF and SOTA csv file formats are.

Paul.

4 Likes

DId it work?

3 Likes

Same question asked to ChatGPT:

SOTA (Summits on the Air) is a popular amateur radio activity that involves operating from the top of a mountain or hill. Here is a basic list of equipment you will need for a SOTA activation:

1. Portable radio: You will need a portable radio capable of transmitting and receiving on the amateur radio bands. Many SOTA activators use QRP (low-power) radios to keep their setup lightweight.

2. Antenna: A lightweight and portable antenna is necessary for good signal transmission. A popular choice is a wire antenna that can be strung up in a tree or attached to a pole.

3. Battery: You will need a battery to power your radio and other equipment. Make sure to choose a battery with enough capacity to last the entire activation.

4. Logging equipment: You will need a way to log your contacts during the activation. Some people use paper logs, while others use digital logging software on a laptop or tablet.

5. Navigation equipment: Depending on the location of the summit, you may need a map and compass or GPS device to navigate to the summit and ensure you stay safe during the activation.

6. Personal gear: You should also bring appropriate clothing and gear for the weather and terrain, such as hiking boots, a backpack, food and water, and a first aid kit.

It’s worth noting that the specific equipment you need may vary depending on the location, terrain, and other factors. It’s always a good idea to check the SOTA database and consult with experienced SOTA activators to ensure you have the appropriate gear for your particular activation.

3 Likes

Perhaps BARD is just a 3 line program which asks ChatGPT!

4 Likes

Sounds like you are concerned about the longevity of your partial retirement - how long before it becomes full retirement :rofl:

I hadn’t tried it :laughing: Just give it a go now, it doesn’t seem to have the *.adi file columns correct.

I have successfully used it to help on some Jython scripting, but that’s for another hobby :smiley:

Its always seems to be about 70 to 80% there and needs a bit of tweaking.

This the code it generated, I asked it to regenerate a a couple times to add my summit and station etc.

2 Likes

Not at all. It can only write code for what is has been trained on (at present) and then there’s gaps and issues. It does put comments in the code which makes it 100% better than the code oompa-lumpas we employ in “cheaper wage cost” parts of the world.

It’s the manager types who should be most worried!

2 Likes

I think they believe it’s the other way around :joy:

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth?!

1 Like