Bandspringer midi vs linked dipole

Morning all . I was wondering how the bandspringer midi was and compared to a link dipole ? wondering how does it compare to a link dipole? I know you connect to a tuner wire a banana tee and this would be going through my ft 818 .

73 2E0FGX

If you have an FT818 you will need a tuner to use this antenna. Make yourself a dipole (single band or linked) and use it to see how it works. Once you understand how to set it up and how it works you can try all the other designs and see if they perform better or worse.

There is no best antenna but a dipole is a simple antenna that is used as a reference.

Yes I will need a tuner , I have made a 10 and 20m dipole , yes on the day worked well but 20 was so busy couldn’t break in but had a few on 10m groundwave .

Only thing is I tape the joints so lowering pole have to lay it down to change links . Unless I use my 6m pole next time .

73 2E0FGX

I started of with a link dipole, which worked well, but of course is restricted to the bands it is designed for.

I tried the Bandspringer Midi with my FT-817 and and Emtech ZM-2 ATU, and it worked well.

I am now using an Elecraft KX3 with the Bandspringer Midi. The Bandspringer Midi is designed for 60m to 10m, and I have been able to tune it with the KX3 from 80m to 10m. I achieve an SWR from 1:1 to 1:3.0 depending on the band, which is very pleasing. It makes for quick and easy band-changing.

I now use it regularly for activations.

They are not very expensive to purchase, so why not give it a go.

73’s

David
G4ZAO

The Bandspringer has become one of my staple antennas. I use it with the FT-817nd and a Elecraft T1 tuner. Great “all in one antenna” if you don’t want to pack in multiple antennas. That being said, I believe I get slightly better reports on the Bandhoppers, but not by much. You’ll also need an independent guying set-up.

Here is a video where the Springer was used.

73 de KG6LI

I made my own bandspringer midi and it worked great with my MTR’s and either ZM2 tuner or T1 tuner. I never did a side by side comparison with my linked dipole. But the bandspringer worked awesome.

Generally, I’ll use a link-dipole if I can, but the bandspringer is easier to carry and to deploy if weight (or whatever) means I must carry minimal kit for activating. It usually comes along even when I’m taking the link-dipole, as it makes a good back-up.

Nearest I’ve got on that was to use the bandspringer on one summit and the link-dipole on the next, an hour or so later. From that it’s hard to tell how much was down to the antenna, how much down to difference in operating location, and how much to propagation.

I have the band springer midi and a linked dipole that I use with a KX2 with built in tuner. I suspect on resonant bands the linked dipole is the better performer RF wise. But I prefer the band springer overall for activations as it is lighter, less bulky and has less windage so you can get away with a less robust pole system. I also find it quicker and easier to set up and take down. I’ll trade a bit less RF performance for more operating time, less faff and less weight to lug.

1 Like

I have both antennas too but always end up back at the link dipole. You say you tape the joints in your support mast? As you push it up pull the joints tightly as you go then once antenna is up and run out to where you need it make sure you put some strain on it to make the top of the pole bend this loads up the joints and it won’t collapse down so easily. That has been my experience with enough activations to make Old Goat how ever can’t say its true in everyones experience activating. Good luck
Ian vk5cz …