Band conditions & solar flux index

can any one explain to me how the solar flux index works i know there are other factors to include but i thought the higher the solar flux index the better shape the band was in solar flux index today 178 the frequencies are dead and have been for the last two weeks please can some one help me to understand all this sorry but it goes right over my head Best 73s DAVE M3XIE

In reply to -M3XIE:

Try these.

http://www.qsl.net/kb9kng/download/solar.pdf

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to -M3XIE:
Dave, there is a chart supplying a quick overview at Pacific-DXers.com (click HF Propagation). Compare that to the current conditions shown on the opening page of QRZ.com or DXsummit.fi…after that, go to the search window at QST Magazine. If all else fails, listen for DX. Hear nothing? Band dead, so go bowling or watch TV.
Elliott, K6ILM
Pac Dxer #111

In reply to -M3XIE:

The higher the solar flux, the better the potential conditions. However a very active sunspot has just rotated out of sight on the sun, this was producing several M-class flares a day and each flare produces a burst of UV and X-rays which causes a fade-out. In addition there has been a few CMEs (coronal mass expulsions) delivering bursts of energetic solar wind which messes up the ionosphere, and finally last night the interplanetary magnetic field near the Earth tilted south which let a burst of solar wind through causing a display of the northern lights. Add to that that midsummer is traditionally a poor time of year for HF conditions and you can see why the bands have been disappointing!

Brian G8ADD

PS Planetary K-index is 5 at the moment: a storm is in progress - and tomorrow another CME is due. Roll on Autumn!

In reply to -M3XIE:

I like this one

http://www.interalia.plus.com/SOLAR_HO.pdf

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

"If all else fails, listen for DX.

Hear nothing? Band dead, so go bowling or watch TV.
Elliott, K6ILM
Pac Dxer #111"

Yeah… I have a similar process which has yet to let me down and which I recommend to all here :

1. Switch on the radio
  2. Hear dx then work dx else continue to 3
  3. Have a beer and goto 1.

This is like pseudo coding my life! ;¬)

Rob

In reply to K6ILM:

In reply to -M3XIE:
Dave, there is a chart supplying a quick overview at Pacific-DXers.com
(click HF Propagation). Compare that to the current conditions shown
on the opening page of QRZ.com or DXsummit.fi…after that, go to the
search window at QST Magazine. If all else fails, listen for DX.
Hear nothing? Band dead, so go bowling or watch TV.
Elliott, K6ILM
Pac Dxer #111

Try calling CQ, everyone else may be listening as well? Or looking at the cluster.

I find it quite useful sometimes to have a listen from other locations using some of the WebSDR sites listed here:

http://www.websdr.org/

Quality and band coverage varies from site to site.

Mike
G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:
May i make a suggestion try listening to the IBP HF Beacon Network They are on several frequencies transmitting cw at various power levels .I have programed a bank of these frequencies into my rigs. So you start out on the lowest frequency listening for the beacon, once its transmitted it’s callsign plus 4 tones about the lenght of a dash or T qsy to the next higher frequency. By changing memory channel to see if you can copy that same callsign on the next higher frequency until you have listened up as high as 28 mhz.The frequencies are 14.100 18.110 21.150 24.930 28.200. Every transmission is sent at :> 100 watts :> 10 watts :> 1 watt :> 0.1 watt . The time taken to qsy is 10 seconds so thats why i recomend a bank of memories is a convenient way to do this exercise. I am no rocket scientist so this is my practical way of determining muf and band conditions. If you have a dxcc country list of callsigns you can determin what beacon you are hearing. If you want to look up a website try
International Beacon Project Transmission Schedule and the callsigns of beacon and their respective country should be there.
73 de Ian vk5cz …

In reply to VK5CZ:

Hello Ian, thanks for the info’. I had forgotten about the beacons! I just looked at the web site. Very good, thank you.

Mike
G6TUH

In reply to VK5CZ:
I just went to ncdxf.org site and read the history of the IBP Beacon System.
Its a great read and just shows what Ham radio operators do to achieve things.
A lot like the like minded people involved in getting SOTA going and others adding to it .
73 de ian vk5cz…