This weekend, I will be doing a combined backpacking trip and SOTA activation trip. I am pretty excited because this is my first backpacking trip in a while (read: “too long”) and will be the first backpacking SOTA trip. I will be going with two friends Nate (W4NHP) and Brian (not yet licensed but I am putting pressure on him ) I am still thinking through the expected times we will be on the summits to put on the alerts, but here are the summits we are planning and generally when I think we might be there.
- Fri (7/20) Breakneck ridge W4C/WM-019 around 2100UTC (Not yet activated)
- Sat (7/21) Hyatt Ridge W4C/WM-035 around 1900UTC (Not yet activated)
- Sunday - hiking all day-
- Monday (7/23) Laurel Top W4T/SU-007 around 1400UTC
- Monday Mount Kephart W4T/SU-006 around 2200 UTC Considering a second activation after 0000UTC for the chasers or doing a NPOTA activation depending on battery remaining.
- Tuesday (7/24) Clingmans Dome W4C/WM-001 about 1700UTC
We will mostly be on 20 and 40 SSB, and 144 FM, but we may throw in some 10, 15, or 17 depending on conditions. Also, we may have capability to do PSK31. Unless something changes (drastically), we wont have FT8 capability.
We are pretty much ready with gear (backpacking and radio) and food and all, but if there is any sage advice, all is welcome. I have already gotten a lot of good stuff from here as I read way more than I post.
Hope to talk to at least some of yall!