Back to the roots on Monte Arpone I-PM 353

This weekend I went back to Turin in my hometown where a party was held for the 30th anniversary of the birth of Radio Blackout, the first independent radio where I started broadcasting in 1992. The party was held only in the afternoon so on Sunday morning I decided it was an opportunity to take a nice walk on the alps and do a Sota activation.

I chose Monte Arpone, a peak of 1602 meters. which I could easily reach by occupying my morning. To reach it from the center of Turin it takes about an hour and a half by car, arriving at the Col del Lys, a very famous hill from where numerous treks start. To reach the top of Monte Arpone it takes about 50 minutes of walking in a very pleasant path between trees and firs. At the top I mounted my usual longwire antenna (with 9: 1 balun) supported by a fishing rod. The radio is the new Elecraft KX3 which I must say manages to amaze me every time for the quality of reception. Overall I did 31 qsos in 7/10/14/21 mhz with 4 s2s with @EC2AG @IN3ADF @HB9IIO @F5PLR, the conditions were excellent.

The only problem was the crazy heat and in fact around 11:35 I decided to go down as it was not possible to stay under the sun. The views of the alps remain something unique and I am happy to be able to doing sometime activation in this fantastic part of Italy.

73 de IW0HK Andrea

5 Likes

Nice report Andrea. Love the photos too. Well done :+1::beers:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like