AX-1 Clone

Does Scotland have a “Fifth Amendment’ per se? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Thanks Julian, it’s a good start

1 Like

If somebody is interested: I have bought a 27MHz telescopic whip antenna to operate on the 10M/12M band. It works great. Impedance / SWR can be adjusted with the counterpoise. It will be a good counterpart for the KX2 or QMX (high bands).

73 de Chris, DL1GKC

4 Likes

Update:
I finshed the build of my antenna. I need to test it and maybe tune the coil.

10m should work without the coil
20m with the first few windings and
40m with all windings.

And of course you could add more switches or a rotary switch and making more taps.

I also mounted a banana plug for the counterpoise.
More infos will follow when the tests are successful.

Julian

8 Likes

Complimenting Julian e Buone Natale

Are you a member of mountain QRp club,?

John ve3ips

2 Likes

Thx John! also happy X-Mas for u!

I’m registered at there website since a few month but wasn’t that active until now.

Julian

So I finished my build today with fully testing and adjusting.
I made an indoor contact on 10m band to OH8TS (2266km). I was sitting in the livingroom tuned the antenna with my new KX2 without counterpoise wire and Toni gave me a 59 on 10w…

Also testing 20 and 40m but outdoor. I noticed that indoor is a lot of QRM.

Core: T106-2
wire: 0.4mm

Turns:
20m: 18 turns
40m: 39 turns

I calculated the ratio with the tools of

It is working nicely. But I made some changes during testing. I took one winding of for 20m and added 2 windings for 40m. So I can tune my antenna with the ATU to 1.0:1 without any counterpoise wire.

The total cost of this antenna was like 10-15€.
I had everything at home.

Its also possible to add 12m-15m-17m-30m. I choose 20 and 40 because I’m using them the most in Italy and OE. For the Canary island I would add 12m and 15m :wink:

I can’t wait to activate the next peak with my small antenna.

Julian IN3JIB

6 Likes

For 14mhz, very important the 3.91m of counterpoise.

2 Likes

Hello Jon,

nice build!

did u try different lengths for the counterpoise?

1 Like

Yes, I try counterpoises from nothing to 7.1m and better was 3.9m that is the recomended of MFJ.

1 Like

Ah got it!
I have the 1899t / ATX-1080 and I prepared the same lengths :smiley:

but never tried them in the field :smiley:

1 Like

Another coil for 15m.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Chris!

Have you tested the antenna yet? Mine is not resonant on 10/11m, but on 12m. When transmitting on 28m, there is a very strange coupling to my headphones (an insanely loud squeak).
Looking forward to your experiences!
73!
Eike

2 Likes

I finished this about a week ago. I bought the PTFE coil formers at least three decades ago at a rally. I’ve no idea what they were intended for but I assumed they were for traps?

The extender is resonant at at
around 8.6 MHz, but as with the Elecraft it “works” on 40 metres with the upper “AX-1” coil on top and in this case tapped. The “AX-1” coil "resonates at around 19 MHz when not tapped, I forget where it resonated when tapped. In fact pretty much like Elecraft’s spendy version, it’s not resonant anywhere useful. The Elecraft AX-1 wouldn’t be able to cover 17M plus 15M when tapped otherwise. Similarly 30M and 20M untapped, the heavy lifting goes on in the internal line flattener.

The tapped section actuates by screwing down the M8 nylon fastener. The sprung contact came from a 1/4" Bulgin TS socket. The bulkhead connectors are 5/8" threaded into the PTFE formers, and additionally are screwed down into the interface between PTFE and the outer acrylic tubes. The puzzle was to find a way to attach the coil windings and the mid-coil tap point into the SO239 4mm sockets inside the PTFE formers …

I “reverse engineered” the AX-1 visually by noticing that the AX-1 coil is about the same diameter as the knurling on the BNC- I zoomed online images on my cell 'phone to 1:1 and used a caliper visually on the screen. From there I calculated the number of “air cored” turns needed for the tap point on my PTFE former’s diameter. What was left over was what was left.

The extender couldn’t accommodate sufficient turns, so I randomly shoved a 2" long 1/2" diameter ferrite rod inside- a total unscientific guess but it seemed to do the trick. Of course there’s nowhere for the ferrite’s heat to dissipate, so proceed with caution I guess? Does it “work”? Well as a non-resonant loaded whip I imagine it’s no worse that the AX-1, and probably functions at least as well as the Miracle Whip and similar contraptions.

The telescopic whip came from one of those DC to daylight banana plug tapped coil antennas. The brass assembly in the image ensures a low centre of gravity and fits onto 1/4 and 3/8 tripod threads with the black anodised adapter. It has a number of screws for attachment of bits of wire.

It was all done sitting cross-legged on my bedroom / radioshack / guitar room floor using a cordless Makita pistol drill and a few hand tools. Sorry for the “War and Peace” folks!

de Steve, G4VRR.

9 Likes