Ascent required for SOTA peaks in Scotland

Is there a consistent single list somewhere (web?) of the Ascent required for climbing SOTA peaks in Scotland?

I don’t mean their Prominence (Relative Height) but the actual height required to ascend a peak by following the recognized starting point?

I notice that http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk does it individually by mountain, but I am looking for a consolidated list that I can compare with SOTA Peaks. I am primarily interested in Scottish peaks?

Thanks in advance

de VA6MCB Walker

In reply to VA6MCB:

It’s not something I’m aware of Walker, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t such a list.

There are always recognised starting points for summits and also obvious routes up that follow ridges and avoid crags etc. I’m not sure what the access laws are compared with Canada, but in Scotland you can normally wander whereever you like(*) which means that you can take any route up a summit you fancy.

In my own case, my electronic mapping software has a full height gazetteer and so I can draw the expected route on the map and get a total ascent and descent figure which means such tables are not of immediate value.

Andy, MM0FMF
Scottish AM

(*) there are rules and limits on access, but it’s pretty much go where you please.

In reply to VA6MCB:

The only thing I could add to Andy’s reply is that it is fairly safe to assume that many island hills will mean ascent from sea level.

Something to be aware of is that lots of the Scottish hills are also remote from the nearest parking point so you will be faced with a long walk before and after an activation.

If you would like to narrow down your search then one of the activators in Scotland (or one of the known intruders from “down South”) will be able to flesh out your options - or you could go for a first activation, we still have quite a few available!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to VA6MCB:

The crunch comes with that “recognised starting point” bit! To give a few examples of what I mean: take Ben Nevis, GM/WS-001. I have climbed this mountain by eight different routes from four different starting points. Walkhighlands gives you the ascent for the tourist route come pony track - it has several names, some of them unrepeatable as it is a dull grind, as are many of the “recognised routes!” Then there is Bidean nam Bian, the “Monarch of Glencoe”, GM/WS-007, I have done that one by nine different routes from four different starting points, I’m not even sure what the “tourist route” is on that one, none of them are “hands in pockets” type ascents! Further up the glen is the Buachaille, GM/WS-044 which I have climbed by five different routes from four different starting points - the trade route up that one is via Coire na Tulaich, which is a nasty sadistic trick played on the newcomer and is not recommended by me!

I could go on, but the point is that most Scottish summits have more than one route up them and a consolidated list would be a complex thing to produce. I suggest that the best approach is to make a list of the summits that you might be interested in and then search out the data from a site like Walkhighlands to make your final selection - and if you ask for local advice when you get there, be aware that many of these summits names sound very different to how they look on paper! Take GM/WS-044 known affectionately as “The Buachaille”, this is pronounced something like Boo-a-hile-ya!

When you have some idea of what you want to activate, you will find that several of the regulars on this reflector can give you advice and information.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GM4TOE:
Hi Walker,

As Barry has mentioned if you were to narrow down what you would like to Activate and if you checkout the Summit on the Summit Database and if I have Activated it (and like Andy) I have most of the Activations as a ‘TrackBack’ (and associated photos of the Activation) which will give the distance and total ascent/descent. (Must get this info into the SOTA-Mapping Project - when I can get some time!!)

Maybe of some help?

Jack(;>J
GM4COX

PS: Welcome to Scotland when you come, though they are predicting a pretty midge-y year because we have had such a warm winter (;>( so bring appropriate anti midge ‘ack-ack guns’

In reply to VA6MCB:

If you are thinking in terms of the Highlands and Islands can I suggest that you seek out a copy of “100 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains” by Ralph Storer (Warner Books) which is a very useful book. It gives distance walked, height gain, an approximate time, and information on difficulty in addition to parking places and route descriptions. I recommend this book to anybody going to the Highlands for the first time.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to VA6MCB:

For anyone who hasn’t visited the Scottish highlands before, it’s also worth mentioning that the weather conditions on the summits are normally much colder than you might expect at these lowly altitudes, compared to equivalent height summits in continental areas.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:
Thanks everybody for the helpful advice, much more than I expected. It will be good to carry midge repellant rather than bear repellant.
de VA6MCB Walker

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s not something I’m aware of Walker, but that doesn’t mean there
isn’t such a list.

Despite it is far from being comprehensive, the SOTA Mapping Project Track page http://sotamaps.wsstvc.org/tracks.php includes such a list.
Rob DM1CM has created a wonderful platform for this purpose which is only waiting for activators uploading their tracks. Perhaps the first 22 tracks are of use for Walker. Perhaps even some GM-activators take this thread as a motivation to contribute a few more tracks…

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:
Thanks Michael, I did not know about this resource.
I uploaded 4 tracks for VE6, they worked out great, thanks.

73 de Walker, VA6MCB

In reply to VA6MCB:

It will be good to carry midge repellant rather than bear repellant.

Bears! Pah, pussycats in comparison to the black midge.

You will need a serious repellant which you know works for you otherwise your worst nightmares may become reality!!!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Barry isn’t (entirely) kidding! A midge attack can drive you stark staring bonkers (which probably explains a lot about our Scottish contingent!)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

This is true. I personally witnessed a sharp deterioration in Barry’s mental health once on a joint activation in the Cairngorms.

http://tomread.co.uk/bynanck_more_es-010.htm

…and I know that this was a relatively mild attack compared to what is actually possible.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GM4TOE:

otherwise your worst nightmares may become reality!!!

Not may Barry, WILL!!!

I have used many different products in a vain attempt to put off these miniscule creatures from hell, but without success. They seem to be trained at the School of Kamikaze, usually choosing to die trying in a sea of Deet or another repellant. I can never apply enough repellant to deter them!

The only product that I have had moderate success with is Avon Skin So Soft. I see that it is now available with Jojoba and Citronellol - must get some in ready for the hunting season! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

To give an idea of the midge population, about forty years ago I was backpacking one of the old Highland drove roads with a friend, using one of the old Vango orange tents. One morning we woke to darkness, we thought it was heavy cloud but I happened to bump against the tent and suddenly it was full of orange light which quickly faded again. We crawled out of the tent to find that it was absolutely covered with midges! Breaking camp was - interesting!

I wouldn’t want to put anybody off the Highlands, they are magical, and fortunately days where the midges are a real terror are rare - they don’t like bright sunshine and they don’t like wind. Sunshine might not be an everyday occurrence there but wind is!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GM4TOE:

Bears! Pah, pussycats in comparison to the black midge.

I would opt for bears any time too. A bad midge attack is unbelievably horrible.

In reply to G3CWI:

A bad midge attack is unbelievably horrible.

Whereas a bad bear attack is…?

In reply to M1EYP:

Much, much rarer.

http://www.grizzlybay.org/LearnMore/AttackStats.htm

In reply to M1EYP:

… is fatal.

Midge attacks are not fatal. So you endure something horrible and live to remember how horrible it was. With a bear attack you endure something horrible until the bear eats you and that is that. You don’t get to relive the horror of the midge attack in the pub afterwards or when discussing activations with other SOTAloons!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

At least if you are properly equipped you stand a chance of driving the bear away or shooting it, nothing will protect you from a major midge attack - I, too, have watched them drowning themselves in midge repellent!

Mind you, it can be pretty funny watching your mates slapping themselves, leaping about and sending demented semaphore signals if you have found a stray current of wind to keep them off you!

Brian G8ADD