"Arthur's Seat" not found in summits

Just a quick one in case somebody needs to know…

Typing in “Arthur’s Seat” to the summits list does not yield a result.(Unfortunately, cost me an activation during a recent trip to GM, but fortunately provides an excuse to climb it again next time I’m there =). Simply typing in “seat” shows up GM/SS-272 (among others) in the resultant list.

HTH and 73,

Dave, 2E0BYA

In reply to 2E0BYA:

Well unless you have permission from the park authorities your activation wouldn’t count. Radio operation from the summit is expressly forbidden without permission. Signs around the park and palace point this out along with other local byelaws.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Best leave the mobile phone at home then? Whats that all about…

I’m not sure that it “wouldn’t count” so much as it would be morally and legally incorrect. It wouldn’t stop me climbing the hill, operating, and then logging and submitting the requisite 4 contacts and watching the points tick up in the database. It just wouldn’t be right to do so.

Dave, 2E0BYA

In reply to 2E0BYA:

Dave, in the general rules read the preamble 3.7 and then read 3.7.7.

I’ve no doubt that you can enter an illegal activation in the database, but why advertise to the world that you have broken the law? This would probably be taken as an admission of guilt in court leaving you without a leg to stand on.

I don’t know why operation from the Seat is illegal, but its their game and their laws, and we should respect that.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Point taken Brian, but whilst precision is of the essence, rule 3.7.7 dosen’t exist =)

Guessing you mean 3.7.1 Section 7, that seems to hit the nail on the head.

Dave 2E0BYA

In reply to 2E0BYA:

Ouch! Got me!:slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0BYA:

This seems to be one of those weird search engine anomalies. In this case it doesn’t seem to recognise the inverted comma. Typing either Arthur or Seat makes it appear.

I often have a similar problems with on line forms not recognising the inverted comma in my address ie: “Connah’s Quay”.

Hopefully there will be a work around sooner or later.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

This seems to be one of those weird search engine anomalies.

The apostrophe is clearly being treated as a metacharacter (in plain ASCII, it is the same character as single quote, and is often used for quotation). Putting a backslash in front of the apostrophe also works.

Hopefully there will be a work around sooner or later.

At some stage in the processing, somebody has forgotten to protect metacharacters. Such mistakes often lead to security exposures as well as malfunctions.