Arthurs Seat GM/SS-272

I am planning on Heading down to Arthurs seat this Sunday. Just awaiting on confirmation from the Ranger Service that I can activate. I will be taking my 817 and plan on working 20-40M and 2m. Does anyone have any recommendations on erecting poles on the summit. I believe you are not aloud to have any ground stakes of any kind. I can either use my AX2 which is a severe compromise or EFHW in an inverted L with a sand or stone bag to hold the end down.

Hope to work a good few stations

Cheers

Garry
MM0XET

2 Likes

Hi Garry, Happy New Year!

The summit itself is rocky and not suitable for guys. There are also too many people around for a safe HF activation using a traditional HF wire antenna. 2m FM activation using a hand held is easy from there. Some have activated HF from the grassy side slopes using bushes as shelter and to get a little privacy.

I’ve done it twice now, as detailed in this thread. Further down I explain how I got around the guy problem.

A Micro-Adventure (or Urban Mountaineering) on GM/SS-272

Good Luck!

1 Like

Hi Garry,
I’m not sure what my plans are for Sunday yet but will try and chase, either from the garden or Craiglockart hill.
Andy
MM7MOX

2 Likes

Happy to confirm that permission was granted within two hours of sending the email to rangers@hes.scot I did phone them as well :slight_smile:
The weather is supposed to be overcast turning to Mist. At least it will kill some time while the girls are watching Wicked at the Playhouse.

Cheers
Garry
MM0XET

3 Likes

Hi Garry,

I sat on the slope on the northern side of the hill and used a pole mounted Slidewinder vertical antenna with two 5m long radials running out towards the north-north-west and west-north-west to maximise the signal towards the States. The pole was guyed and I used standard aluminium wire tent pegs. I took care how I set out the antenna and had no trouble with anyone tripping over the radials or guy wires. Using headphones helped minimise the questions and I was only approached while I was setting up. Overall a brilliant experience despite my concerns that it might all go wrong.

Hope you have a great activation.

73, Gerald

4 Likes

There is no objection to guying or pegs. I specifically sent through a photo to clear this with them and I took a copy of the correspondence with me. Be Prepared - Scouts Motto. :grinning:.

Public Liability of course is another matter entirely!

Gerald, My guy problem was that I didn’t take any. I wanted to operate from the rocky summit and I had to figure out how do do this sans guys.

1 Like

Seems like a perfect location for a small MagLoop!!

2 Likes