Are you using your call/QRP?

See: http://www.ok1rr.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.57

In reply to OK1HCG:

I agree 100%, Karel. Not only is the use of /QRP annoying, but it is also illegal.

If anyone calls me as “OK1***/QRP”, I will reply:

“OK1QRP de G3NYY 599 TU QRZ? de G3NYY K”

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

To my knowledge the only real call ending QRP is ON5QRP! However, you can add whatever you want to a call in the UK nowadays. Nor do you have to add /M /P /MM etc. anymore. You could have some sport by signing /AM which would be legal whereas actually operating aeronautical mobile is illegal in the UK! :slight_smile:

I like your style there Walt. I must try it next time.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

If I CQ I will:
CQ CQ CQ DE QRP VA2SG VA2SG VA2SG PSE K

If I answer a CQ call, I will: VA2SG VA2SG VA2SG/QRP or VA2SG VA2SG QRP

One time is enough, no need to repeat I think.

Now, on a summit, I sign VA2SG/P . The /P thing is not used by everybody in NA.

In reply to VA2SG:

Although most EU SOTA ops do sign call/p. Recognizing it is not required in G (nor in the US) but what about other EU countries? Or is it a case of courtesy, i.e. I’m /p and freezin’ my butt/hands/ears/etc out here so give me some respect/courtesy/“slack”/etc when my cw keying is “a bit off”?

73, Guy/N7UN

In reply to N7UN:

It is no longer a requirement to call /P, /M or even keep a log book in G.

Whoever dreamt this up needs their bumps felt, IMHO.

Having said this, I’m unaware of anyone that doesn’t do all three…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G3NYY:

Not only is the use of /QRP annoying, but it is also illegal.

You might find it annoying, but it does have it’s uses.

It is not illegal in all countries, for example the US licence explicitly says that a oblique stroke and a suffix may be added to the callsign for descriptive purposes as long as it may not be mis-interpreted. The notes mention the use of /QRP and that using anything as a suffix that is a prefix should be avoided.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

You might find it annoying, but it does have it’s uses.

It sure does. It makes me put whoever tags their call /QRP at the end of the list. I can’t remember who it was but there was a G chaser who always added /QRP to his call. I’d always try to work as many other stations as I could before I’d finally call him in. Even if he was louder than everybody else, back of the queue.

Use /QRP with care when calling “bolshi” MM0 operators! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to OK1HCG:

I believe that the ITU can only make recommendations, national administrations make laws, thus one can operate quite legally outwith ITU recommendations as long as it is in accordance with your national laws. As an example of the practical application of this, I don’t think the ITU recommendations make any mention of 60 metres. I agree that /QRP is a waste of time, at least on CW, although on QRP frequencies such as 14.285 it might signify “unlike you QRO b*****s I belong here!”

Brian G8ADD

In reply to VA2SG:

CQ CQ CQ DE QRP VA2SG VA2SG VA2SG PSE K

Or perhaps

CQ CQ QRP DE VA2SG VA2SG K

to make the EU operators happy?

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

I would take “CQ QRP” to mean that you are looking for QRP stations.

I often hear people calling CQ with something that I don’t understand, I figure if I don’t understand it they’re not talking to me and I ignore them.

Compromise:

CQ CQ CQ DE Z30XXX Z30XXX Z30XXX QRP K

Without „/“ after the callsign, „QRP“ is not part of it.

Vlado, Z35M

In reply to Z35M:

Compromise:

CQ CQ CQ DE Z30XXX Z30XXX Z30XXX QRP K

Without „/“ after the callsign, „QRP“ is not part of it.

Vlado, Z35M

Yes, Vlado. That is perfectly OK.
:slight_smile:

73 de G3NYY QRO

In reply to MM0FMF:

However, you can add whatever you want to a call in the UK nowadays.
Andy
MM0FMF

Shouldn’t that read MM0FMF/IMHO/IANAL ? :slight_smile:

Martyn
M1MAJ

In reply to MM0FMF:

I had a QSO with ON5QRP recently and I was very surprised with the callsign. At least in the professional communications like aeronautics and navy, such callsign may not be issued and the rules in the amateur radio traffic are usualy copied from there. The Anex 2 (Aeronautical communications) to the Convention on International Civil Aviation states that in the callsigns with three letters in the sufix, the sufix may not start with the letter “Q”.

Also any other combination of three letters which may introduce ambiguity with distress and urgency signals may not be used. (Example: ON5SOS)

The Macedonian Regulation on Radio Amateur Communication states exactly the same.

Damjan
Z35BY

In reply to Z35M:
We hear VE2ABC QRP often now in NA.

Maybe the / is getting less popular? I don’t know.

Hi,

I use to call like Vlado CQ CQ EB3EPR/P EB3EPR/P QRP PSE K

Here in Spain we must to use /P if we are portable in the same area that we have in the call or /1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 if you are portable in other areas, please keep in mind that /6 and /9 are others DXCC.

73-72

Esteve EB3EPR

In reply to OK1HCG:
I use /p only when hiking, if I am at home and running with battery power /p is kinda weird so I use just my call.

Jani OH9FZU

Using CALLSIGN/QRP is more related to tradition than to rules.
When operate on QRP power I prefer to use QRP after my callsing only once per call. Most of the time I find more interesting for me and to the correspodent if QRP is stated after the callsign. A call from a weak signal which is not DX bacome more intersting if is known that QRP is used (the weak signal is not coused by poor antenna). Some operators are interested to work with QRP stations, some collects 2 way QRP contacts, e.t.c.
Signing QRP after the callsing when calling in pile-up sometimes helps to gain the attention of the called station (most often the sequence „QRP“ will be heard rather that the callsign or part of it).
The negative side of usimg QRP after the callsign is the extra long callsing, and the formal issues in case using „/QRP“ (callsing/qrp is tradition - not formal rule).
I think that using QRP after the callsing brings more benefits than negative impacts.
Acording to the international rules the only obligatory data to give on the air is the own callsing (the signal reports, name, location, weather, power level, antennas, e.t.c. are only options) - hi.
Vlado, Z35M

As my only radio is FT-817, I don’t use /QRP. Maybe if I visit another HAM and operate from a more powerful station, I would use /QRO hi

I’ve heard suffixes like /LH (lighthouse), /FF (Flora & Fauna), /QRPP… as far as I know they are not required and not forbidden. The /P, /MM, etc. rules may vary: here in OK we can have several alternate QTHs listed in a license and it’s necessary to use /P only when operating outside of any of them. /MM is required here when operating from any vessel in inland waterways. In Poland you have to use /1, /2 etc. if you have a station plugged into a wall socket and /P if on battery power.