APRS mapping question

I have M0VAZ-10 running as IGate, I like to keep an eye on the activity on aprs.fi.
Today spotted M6YCE had popped up

When I check the mapping screen sometimes I see a line to the Digipeater/IGate that picked up the APRS packets.

On checking this one I don’t see a line to my IGate I see
My QTH is about the blue X on the map (bottom left of the image)

Just wondering why I don’t get a line to my IGate?
cheers
john

1 Like

Your iGate seems to receive properly and it gated M6YCE to APRS-IS two times:

grafik

Probably the line is not showing because your iGate has not sent out any position beacons for 158 days? So aprs.fi does not know where the line should point at?

aprs

You should configure your iGate to send the position beacon at least once every 60 minutes to the server! I have my iGate OE5REO-10 configured to 30 minutes …

Here is a screenshot of the DireWolf iGate manual:

73 Martin, OE5REO

1 Like

Thanks Martin I will take a look at the settings.

I located the file (sdr.conf?)
PBEACON sendto=IG delay=2:00 every=15:00 symbol=“igate” overlay=R lat=53.39895 l ong=-3.12836 COMMENT=“M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image”

looks to be set to send position?

You have a spurious whitespace in the longitude field (“l ong=”).

I think its just a copy and paste feature. Looks ok in a screen shot

I have altered the comment to see if this creates a refresh…

1 Like

The file is “direwolf.conf”
In their template (on lines 392-393) the lat/long is show in DD^MM.MM format, whereas you’ve used DD.DDDD - don’t know if this is significant?

This stats page is a good indication of what is going on:
Station statistics for M0VAZ-10 – aprs.fi – live APRS map

The packets transmitted should be at least your regular position updates so 4 per hour.

Based on the comment I guess you used this guide?
An updated guide to setting up an APRS receive (RX) only iGate using a pre-built image on a Raspberry Pi and an RTL-SDR dongle. Now works with Raspbian Stretch and Direwolf 1.4 runs as a service instead of via cron and supports the new Raspberry Pi 3B+ | QSO365
Looking at the article things might anyhow be a bit outdated.
And the name of the config file was changed in this image for no obvious reason.

UPDATE: You might want to add a crontab to reboot the system once a day or week. Raspberry is not as stable on the longrun

73 Joe

1 Like

Thanks Ross and Joe. I think I have the settings sorted now after altering direwolf.conf
I left the format of the lat/long the same as before and then reloaded the Pi and my position is correct.
My last position has updated as well. Lets see what this does for the mapping.

Cheers all.
John

2 Likes

I already have a Crontab set as I thought I had issues with the RX going off.

Seems to work now …

grafik

1 Like

Certainly better!. Cheers for words of advice.

1 Like