Apology GW/SW-009/015 yesterday and a muddy nose!

Sorry that we (with MW0JLA) didn’t complete our usual swapping of summits on GW/SW-009 and 015 (Mynydd Troed and Llangorse) yesterday but the weather was a bit worse than forecast.and all did not go well (but could have been massively worse). The cloud was touching to the top of Troed as we drove up to the parking spot between the 2 hills. As expected the SW wind was fierce and blustery so I was expecting an almost free ride up the steep ascent of Troed - which was true and I was making good time. Rod was more into the wind going up the smaller hill but kept out of the way until he got nearly up to the summit. Intermittent drizzle meant I clambered into the overtrousers at the top of the first lot of ‘troeds’ (footsteps) and then veered to the left as I didn’t trust the steeper steps in the sodden conditions. A brief ascent of a steep heather clad (useful for hand holds!) hillside brought me to the diagonal track just below the top of those footsteps where there is a widening of the path. As I moved to the right to step on some grass which looked perfectly safe I executed a sliding manouevre which gave me a good view of my nose about to impact the grass in a slightly uncontrolled manner. Luckily nothing broken but a bit of a thwack. After some (prone) thought, I reached for my 2 sticks which had not skated far, did a short backwards slide (welll I wasn’t going to get any muddier, was I?) and then carefully became upright and realised that my brown coat was browner and also my face but basically I was OK… so I toddled on up the path but avoiding any short grass or mud (perhaps I should have continued straight up the nose of the hill but I have never used that route and trying it out in those wind conditions seemed to be a ‘no no’) and being extremely careful. A careful noseblow a bit later produced mud (!) and not blood so I knew I had been very lucky.
I soon found ;a deep hole beside the trig point and decided that the telscopic RH770 was the answer for a brief activation starting with a s2s with M0JLA who could only get the very local 2W0LPU (tx Lee) and me on 2m with only a short aerial and failing battery (again). Getting out HF in the wind and rain wasn’t a good idea. My extra height and the RH770 gained 5 on 2m and 3 on 70cm (grateful thanks to all chasers) but I didn’t hang about for the missing 70cm and slowly descended.
At the car we decided enough was enough - had a brief photo session and made for Talgarth public conveniences with some warm water (!) to remove my inadvertent mudpack (saved quite a bit of money!!) and a local checked I was ‘clean’ as there was no mirror!

with Troed in the background

my beanie saved me muddy hair but I don’t usually have that many freckles!

Moral: stay upright and stay safe - and don’t get covered in mud as it is a devil to try and clean off your clothes!!
73 Viki M6BWA

20 Likes

Well Done, Both Viki and Rod. You have managed Very Well in poor conditions. I hope to hear you soon. Sorry the conditions were not better for you. 73 de Paul M0CQE.

1 Like

I’ve had a few slides on GW/SW-009. Not the easiest one to tackle in poor weather and muddy conditions. Well done for surviving it, and hope you find firmer ground for your next activation!

73, Matthew M0JSB

2 Likes

Good to hear that you survived the slip in one piece and completed your mission!

Sorry I missed the S2S. I had planned to be in the AZ on Black Mountain a few minutes after your alerts, but I think you were early and I was a bit late - I did listen on 2m and put out a couple of calls as I walked along the ridge, but nothing heard.
It was indeed very windy, and I didn’t expect either of you to hang about on summit.
It was like this on GW/SW-041 and I managed a 15min cw only session before retreating!
10m groundplane:

Adrian G4AZS

4 Likes

When I see the pictures, I wonder why we do it to ourselves, going out in such weather.

But, the pull of the hills and all that…

Glad to read you’re OK Viki.

73, Robert

4 Likes

Viki

Glad to hear you were OK - I did something similar descending the lower slopes of Stiperstones recently, luckily on the soft part below the rocks.

There looks to be much more mud and water by the gate than there was on the Monday !

Cheers

Rick

3 Likes

You’ve just reminded me that I managed to I managed to slip over on the rocks on top of Stiperstones when I was there last month (the same day you were there, if I remember correctly). By some miracle I managed to find a piece of soft ground to angle my face at as it approached!

3 Likes

I’m glad that you avoided injury Viki. I’m sorry that work kept me from calling in, I just managed to work Rod before joining a meeting.

It’s been a wet bonus season in GW land. I’m looking forward to some warm, sunny and dry activations.

73, Kevin

1 Like

As I drove westwards on the A4212 between Bala and Trawsfynydd in horrendous conditions, my wife said “there will be no-one on the Welsh hills today”. Little did we know!

Well done on braving the elements and making the right call under the circumstances. You were fortunate not to have fully gone “base over apex”. :grinning:

73, Gerald

3 Likes

I was not surprised to read of your adventures on Mynydd Troed as I’d had a similar mud experience a few days earlier, but only just got round to writing it up, so I’ll add it here. I think we had more sun than you, but I suspect some mud is still embedded in my over trousers despite multiple rinsings!

Sunday 3rd March was a long, exhausting but lovely day on the hills doing Mynydd Llangorse and Mynydd Troed. We suspected that parking at the col between them on a Sunday was going to be difficult, so opted to try a different route. A lot of sun, some cloud and no precipitation all day, but we came back very muddy, as low levels were wet and muddy, and both summits were snow covered.
We parked in the large car park near Cwmdu village hall. and headed north along the ascending minor road, before doubling back onto a bridleway that had the air of a possible industrial inclined plane about it. It continued up to a little ruined building near the nose of the ridge, where we headed back north along the ridge path, soon encountering patches of lying snow. The gradient eased to a nice path over Pen Tir, followed by a slight drop before ascending to Mynydd Llangorse. By now the snow was making it hard going if off the path, so we tried to keep on tracks, but needed to head off them to find what was probably the summit. Being off the track meant that we could put up antennas out of the way of other walkers. We had lunch in between operating but needed to move on to get Mynydd Troed in as well.

The descent from Mynydd Llangorse was relatively easy, but ascending Mynydd Troed was more of a challenge, Caroline in particular falling over several times on the steep section before we got to the more easily graded path round the side: not helped by her walking pole falling apart at one point! There was a lot of snow on Mynydd Troed too, but it had mostly cleared from around the trig point.

Caroline struggled for VHF contacts on both summits, getting just 3 on each, two of those on Mynydd Llangorse being S2S with Dom M0BLF, another Cambridgeshire SOTA activator who was on Stiperstones as we set up on the summit and Long Mynd by the time we were leaving! In both cases 40m came to Caroline’s rescue after Martyn had qualified the hills on 60m. In order to get 2 summits and a long walk in we couldn’t stay long, in particular needing rapid contacts on Mynydd Troed as there was a long walk out: Caroline had 23 contacts in 12 minutes, being thankful where there were no more callers so we could pack up.

We now had to get down a very slippery Mynydd Troed. As we came to the end of the relatively easy graded bit and were contemplating how to get down the steep bit, we were overtaken by a couple of fell runners who asked if we needed help. Martyn replied, “just make us 20 years younger”, while Caroline thought “40 years younger would be better still!”. The runners pointed out that the more graded path north could be used, and would eventually loop back south, so despite being tight on time we decided to go for the safer option, eventually making our way back to the col.

We now needed to find the bridleway which skirts the east flank of Mynydd Llangorse and Pen Tir. It started off hard going with dead bracken and mud from the now melting snow. Caroline fell over a couple of times in the mud, on one occasion struggling to get up as the mud just wasn’t giving any purchase, but with a bit of help from Martyn was back on her feet. The path improved as we went on turning grassy, and then to a track to a farm at the end of the road. It was past sunset, but we just had to follow the road in the gathering gloom back to the car in the village hall car park. We just managed to see our way without needing to put on head torches!

7 Likes

Great report and photos Caroline. Not done those this year so far…might even be end of year winter bonus…so many uniques/completes to tick off soon.

88 Allan

2 Likes