Apologies - incorrect summit reference - Shining Tor is SP-004

My apologies to chasers (I’m sure many will have corrected my error themselves). During our activation of Shining Tor today we were giving out reference SP-002 instead of SP-004 for the first half of the activation. Please amend your logs. .

Many thanks to all chasers.

Best wishes for Christmas & the New Year.
Karen 2E0XYL (and Neil 2E0TDX)

1 Like

Great to chase you on all three Karen/Neil today! I didn’t even notice the incorrect reference, you’d said Shining Tor, so I knew that’s where you were.
Have a great Christmas and hope to catch you next year.

1 Like

You’d never ever get it wrong again if you were not allowed to log this.

Just sayin’…

We can’t all be perfect Andy! Put it down to old age :wink:

1 Like

Thanks James - good to work you again. At one time I knew all the SOTA references for SP, LD and NW … but time passes and I forget things!

3 Likes

Here’s a useful exercise to help commit them to memory! It doesn’t involve the SOTA refs of course, but knowing them in your head helps you to complete this challenge!

3 Likes

I did it myself once. I wrote the wrong ref. on the back of the map. But if activators got no points for the activation and had to wait for the next calendar year before they could do it again then everyone would get it right. :wink:

I have to disagree with you there Andy. I check and double check things but it is still possible to misread your writing or even get muddled writing it down - I don’t think a big stick would make a blind bit of difference (for me anyway).

Changing the subject :slight_smile: Please can you tell me why if I check my activated regions, LD shows 52/55 and yet if I check My Activator Uniques it shows 53 LD summits which fits in with my having Swinside and Grayrigg Forest left to activate? :thinking:

1 Like

Without digging into the actual queries being used to build those tables, have one of those summits been retired?

1 Like

If it was a failed activation you wouldn’t need to wait a year to try again. Just sayin’…

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes, you are right - or rather the new summit is a few metres NE of the previous one and 1 metre higher. I copied and pasted both lists side by side into a spreadsheet to compare and I can see Muncaster Fell - Hooker Crag LD-055 has been replaced by Muncaster Fell LD-059. I hadn’t noticed with the name being the same. :upside_down_face:

Exactly. Activator Uniques is every unique summit you have activated whether they are now valid or not where activated regions shows a “live” score for the region. i.e. how many of the currently active summits in the region you have activated. So you get an all-time and current score.

If you walk from the old summit to the new summit you will drop out of the old summit’s AZ on the way to the new summit. So the new summit gets a new number rather than keeping the old number and its position and height being updated.

1 Like

Great to see you and Neil today on The Cloud Karen. We did a longer circuit from the Bridestones to the south - Lockdown 20 - but this turned out to be an unwise choice the day after 24 hours of heavy rain in the area! Especially with an XYL that really dislikes mud!

What compounded it was that the emus and alpacas at the farm at the top of the steps were all hiding, and Rambo the wallaby seemed subdued and wasn’t hopping around as usual.

We perched ourselves upon a socially distanced boulder and shared the picnic, and I operated on 2m FM with the handheld. I was pleased to get the “full set” of the three SOTA chaser couples - 2E0LMD & 2E0LKC, 2W0JYN & MW6SHJ, and of course the just-descended 2E0XYL & 2E0TDX.

5 Likes

Great to meet you and Liam again Tom and Marianne for the first time. Looks like a good walk! The alpacas were on show for our ascent and descent but sadly no emus or wallaby - next time perhaps. Thankfully the Met Office were wrong with the wind forecast yesterday and we had the lovely sunshine on Shining Tor for the walk up and most of the activation before the clouds rolled in - after that we were below the clouds so a very pleasant day.

2 Likes

Dont worry, every one can make mistake :wink: Next time you make it right.

Thank you for qso :slight_smile: 73

2 Likes