Apologies G/SP-011 and G/SP-004

Apologies to any chasers who were waiting to work these two summits after my HF alerts over the last couple of days. I dont normally give up that easily, however, on these last two activatations I’ve received two soakings and passed on HF.

Seems the WX Gods have got it in for me, right now!

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Still drying out the log book :frowning:

Mike,

Don’t let the rain take you by surprise. Use this:

Since Jimmy has insisted on using it to inform on what days we will activate on, and moreover, what days we WON’T activate on, I’ve hardly suffered so much as a droplet of rain on my logbook.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

If you live/activate where MWIS covers then it’s usually good.

http://www.mwis.org.uk

Or XCweather which has the advantage that you can view the website on any computer/phone browser not just 2 the way the MetOffice now behaves. You don’t get tracked to oblivion unlike the MetOffice either.

http://xcweather.co.uk

The BBC weather site has been unusable and dumbed to perfection and displays no useful information anymore.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
If you can read a proper weather map, fronts and isobars, then Surface Pressure Charts - Met Office is an invaluable resource, it can even be animated! On the day check out UK rainfall radar map - Met Office which shows the rain seen by the radar, it can also be animated to show the last six hours so with a little practise you can predict the time of arrival of frontal rain to an accuracy of about half an hour - showers are more problematical as they appear and disappear, but if your mobile receives the internet and it reaches your summit, you can keep a weather eye on the radar.

Brian G8ADD

PS these two sites are being changed over to alleged improved sites, the improved charts cover more area and can be used in the same way but I prefer the originals!

In reply to M1EYP:

The forecast says “EYP’s Mid-Wales uniques on Thursday”…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G8ADD:
If I can’t see Rombalds Moor (replace with your local summit) it’s raining.
If I can see it, it’s going to rain.

Simples :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
The principle is good but I have to drive for half an hour to reach a point where I can see the local summit!

If the seaweed outside the back door is wet its going to rain. If its dry, replace it!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:
No excuses now…just lazy Mick.

If its not on 2m fm - you’re not interested any more :slight_smile:

The forecast says “EYP’s Mid-Wales uniques on Thursday”…

No it doesn’t. Jimmy now has a job - and he’s working that day.

Tuesday night will be my only definite SOTA activation this week. Wx looks anti-SOTA today - but that is fine, for we’re off to see part one of The Great Escape - at Vale Park in Burslem.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Jimmy now has a job - and he’s working that day.

And so the time arrives for Jimmy to learn that “life’s a bitch and then you die” when you, Liam and Richard go out on Thursday and he has to go to work!

:slight_smile:

Wx looks anti-SOTA today

It’s not SOTA WX here either. It wasn’t really SOTA weather here yesterday though the forecast tricked me it believing it was until I was 700m up a hill when the “rain unlikely east of the A9” became very likely for 30mins :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
No excuses now…just lazy Mick.

If its not on 2m fm - you’re not interested any more :slight_smile:

Oi!!!

My HF antenna is a lot lighter than my VHF antenna. I know which one I would rather drag up a summit…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

The BBC weather site has been unusable and dumbed to perfection and
displays no useful information anymore.

Indeed Andy. The BBC site is the one I’ve followed for years, although not anymore, I might add.

Mike
2E0YYY

Hmm, yes, when did this happen? In the last few days? It does seem much less usable, especially when trying to get the rain radar forecasts for a local region :frowning:

Hi Andy,

Me and my Dad M1EYP have agreed that we will not be doing any unique activations without each other. However I do not mind my Dad M1EYP doing any repeat activations without me.

Jimmy 2E0EYP

In reply to G8ADD:
Both sets of displays have work well for me over the last few years. Pity they are going to muck about with them. Now where’s that seaweed I confined to the bin? (:>)

Cheers

Jack
GM4COX

You might like this one, Mike:

I can usually find wx for a summit nearby eg. Long Mynd, Parlick, Pendle, Dodd Fell, Moel Famau, Snowdon, Wolf Craggs, Skiddaw etc. It can be a wee bit optimistic, especially well in advance, but in conjunction with other forecasts it works well.

I usually start with Windfinder for a quick overview of the week ahead to see if the Lakes, Dales or Snowdonia are the most likely activation areas and then move on to MWIS, Met Office mobile etc from there.

Karen

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Addendum

Oi!!!

My HF antenna is a lot lighter than my VHF antenna. I know which one I
would rather drag up a summit…

Should have read

My HF antenna is a lot lighter than my VHF antenna. I know which one I would rather M0TUB drag up a summit for me…

LOL

In reply to GM4COX:

Both sets of displays have work well for me over the last few years.

Yes, I’ve found them OK. However, the new site is a pain - it takes a lot longer to load, I find. I tried to find somewhere to put comments but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere - just a longwinded “customer service” procedure.

Should have sent comments when they had the beta out on trial I suppose, but honestly, if they can’t do their own testing on more normal connections rather than super fast ones then I don’t think much of their testing team …

John GM8OTI

In reply to M0TUB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Addendum

Oi!!!

My HF antenna is a lot lighter than my VHF antenna. I know which
one I
would rather drag up a summit…

Should have read

My HF antenna is a lot lighter than my VHF antenna. I know which one I
would rather M0TUB drag up a summit for me…

Think, I’ll go back to the 11m band, I’ll take a lot less stick from you and STQ. ;-)))

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0XYL:

You might like this one, Mike:

Wind & weather forecast Shining Tor - Windfinder

Thanks for the very useful link Karen.

73 Mike
2E0YYY