Anyone up for

A SOTA VHF/UHF Boxing Day activation?

A chance to walk off all the Xmas Day overindulgences of sherbert, turkey and Xmas pud, get away from watching the Great Escape for the forty ninth time and maybe collect 3 bonus points from qualifying summits! Nothing too serious, maybe an 1100 start to say 1330 local time?

Perhaps a little certificate for the most activator contacts, one for the most S2S and one for the most summits by a chaser?

Clearly, wx must be the deciding factor for any such activation at this time of the year.

Any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to chuck them into the ring.

Posted now, so that anyone who fancies having a go, can get a window in their diary organised at what is a busy time of the year for many families…

73 Mike
M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What like this from last year?

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=5114

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Nice idea Mike. Are you supplying the certificates or is that down to “a. another”?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Nice idea Mike. Are you supplying the certificates or is that down to
“a. another”?

I’ll be delighted to supply the certificates, Richard.

73 Mike
M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

I will be up for that, as Andy says, it will be similar to the VHF fun day!

Not bothered about certificates!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,
I might do a dual activation from SP-004 and SP-015 if no one else is using them.
73, Frank

In reply to G3RMD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,
I might do a dual activation from SP-004 and SP-015 if no one else is
using them.

ROTFL…

I was planning to activate the graveyard of UHF/VHF G/SP-002 Black Hill, in order to handicap myself a little, Frank :wink:

73 Mike
M6MMM

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

I will be up for that, as Andy says, it will be similar to the VHF fun
day!

Not bothered about certificates!

Cheers Matt. Perhaps we can take a look at the wx nearer the time and if not possible, maybe hold your New Year date of last year as an alternative?

Mike M6MMM

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

What like this from last year?

Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day

I was thinkining more along the lines of…

What you could try Mike is arranging some
kind of fun event for a Saturday. Something with a particular flavour that > would be appealing to all levels of activator and chaser. Off the top of my > head, trying to get all of the SP summits on the air at the same time could > be worth investigating. Arrange it to suit you and with a bit of publicity > and cajouling you`ve got a fun day.

Andy
M0FMF

HTH
Mike M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Would it be worth considering Jan 2nd again? That way, being the start of another SOTA year, everyone can go for their local summit if they can’t get further afield for whatever reason. I know it’s not all about points but it’s nice to have an added incentive.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Would it be worth considering Jan 2nd again? That way, being the start
of another SOTA year, everyone can go for their local summit if they
can’t get further afield for whatever reason. I know it’s not all
about points but it’s nice to have an added incentive.

Hi Richard, I’m quite happy to go with the majority. As both dates are bank holidays, it makes life a little easier easier all round.

Any thoughts on boxing day/new years day, would be appreciated…

Mike 2E0YYY

The first Sunday of the New Year would be the 1st. Maybe this is a better date as turn of year all summits would be open.

I’m up for playing out.

73 Chris M0RSF

In reply to M0RSF:

The first Sunday of the New Year would be the 1st. Maybe this is a
better date as turn of year all summits would be open.

Just a thought, but driving after the new years eve revelries may be an issue for some people, Chris.

I’m up for playing out.

Good man!

Mike M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Good point Mike. Maybe a 12:00 start would give people a chance? I know there are ops out there that may bag a summit before any likely event may start. I’ve seen it before. Would this event be 2M ?

Early days yet but the ball is now rolling so I will see what develops and post an alert in due course.

73 Chris M0RSF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike i would like the same setup as earlier in this year, a Jan 2nd VHF fun day.

My 2c worth

Adrian

Monday is good for me too. As I work for myself I’m sure my boss will give the day off.

73 Chris M0RSF

New Year’s Day might be the more obvious choice to get operators riled up in HL-land, as it is very typical for everyone (non-hams) to go to their local mountain to catch the first sunrise of the year…

Boxing Day is not a bank holiday here, in fact very few people have it off, it’d be just another Monday. I realize that G - HL SOTA contacts have been a bit limited up to this point (and that we’re talking VHF here) but if there’s a nice high probability of people on summits on both ends there might be some HF action possible, also.

Anyway, for my part it’s guaranteed I’ll be on the air for New Year’s, WX will only determine which summit I go to (how far out), not if I go out.

By the way, when’s the fall Int’l SOTA Weekend this year?

73 de Jason HL4ZFA
http://www.6k0fm.net

In reply to MM0TAI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike i would like the same setup as earlier in this year, a Jan 2nd
VHF fun day.

My 2c worth

Thanks for the imput, Adrian. All noted.

Cheers
M6MMM

In reply to G4ERP:

everyone can go for their local summit

What is this concept of “local summit” of which you speak? :slight_smile:

In reply to M1MAJ:

We all have a local summit Martyn. Even you have a local summit.

It’s just that local means different things for different people! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF