Any tips?

Planning to go to the Lakes tomorrow. Great Gable and Kirk Fell are the targets. Last time I was there I fell in very poor weather an had a rather unpleasant time. Is there any advantage in doing them in any particular order? I was planning to start from Wasdale - unless someone has a clever alternative (Seathwaite perhaps?).

Children will be in tow.

Richard
G3CWI

Hi Richard, when me and my dad did these 2 summits we started at Honister, we walked to the col between LD-005 and LD-014, we walked up and activated LD-005 first and then we walked back to the col and then we walked up and activated LD-014. After this activation we walked back down to the col and then we just walked back to Honister. This is a good route.

Jimmy M3EYP

Hi Richard,

We did them as a pair from Honister YH. Great Gable first, and Kirk Fell second. It was a long and tiring day, but nothing Lewis & ML can’t handle. I hope the wx stays like this for you. The views from Gable will be extraordinary.

I don’t think there’s much advantage in doing them in a particular order, as you will probably ascend each from the saddle between the two. I would probably do Gable first, so that the steep ascent is out of the way earlier.

Have a great day. The rest of Macclesfield’s amateur radio population is off to the Ponderosa pair.

Tom M1EYP

Ha ha ha. Jimmy has replied much to the same effect, at the same time as me, on the other computer. Ho ho ho.

Tom

In reply to G3CWI:
Richard,
An alternative, with less driving, is to walk in from Honister (slate mine). Longer walk, but less ascent (high start point).

Frank

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have managed to book in at Derwentwater YHA so we will probably just do Great Gable (from Honister Pass). I think that there will not be enough light to do both hills in daylight this time. However, as a bonus we may squeeze in High Rigg next morning.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

LD5:
From Honister to Drum House at NY 2162 1347.
Turn left there to NY 2156 1268 where the path veers 45 deg right.
Cross a stile at NY 2111 1205 but if it’s really boggy; then detour left a bit & over fence.
Follow path via NY 2131 1134.
Follow path via NY 2124 1105.
To path junction at NY 2127 1073 & turn left and up ‘scree path’ for Windy Gap.
Windy Gap: NY 2144 1053.
Follow path via NY 2136 1046.
Follow path via NY 2130 1043 & climb up rocky path to Gt Gable summit.

Good luck,
John G4YSS.

I think that there will not be enough light to do both hills in daylight this time…

LD-014 is right there in front of you with little more than 150m reascent, after you finish Great Gable. You will need to exercise good discipline to ignore it. Or ensure you have torches, spare torches and avoid the “Snowdon Ranger” trick.

Tom

In reply to G4YSS:

Thanks John - plotted onto map and ready.

Richard
G3CWI