Any drive on summit in Tirol near Kitz?

de Phil OE/G4OBK/P

We are staying near Kitzbuhel on a family holiday until Friday with my XYLs 93 year old mother. She can walk short distances, and we are hiring a wheelchair to use when we take her to Salzburg one day, when I hope to escape and activate OE/SB-300.

We wanted to take the old lady on her final trip to Austria on her 90th whe she was more mobile before Covid struck but we were thwarted by the terrible Corona… However, as she was so determined to come again as she so loves Austria, she got a new passport and we are here now.

Are any “locals” aware of a drive on summit within a one hour drive of Kitzbuhel with an alm or country tavern on the summit that we can visit for a lunch? Weather permitting that is (not good for next few days - rain)…

The added bonus is that I could activate the summit if it is near the alm or restaurant.

Our main suitcase has not yet arrived from UK, even though we got here on Thursday, (THANK YOU LUFTHANSA), NOT, although the good news is I have all my SOTA gear!

73 Phil OE/G4OBK/P

7 Likes

Hi Phil,
Not a “drive on”, but a cable car ride to and short walk easy to activate summit is Hohe Salve OE/TI-517 that probably 20 minutes drive from Kitzbuhel. Yes it has a restaurant and is (I believe) wheerlchair friendly.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info Ed. If the rain stops and the old lads feels better we may get up to Hohe Salve later in the week.

73 Phil OE/G4OBK/P

Hi Phil,
Kitzbühel is not my area of expertise, but Kitzbüheler Horn, OE/TI-461, comes to my mind. There is an annual bicycle race, so the road must be in good condition and according to maps it leads into the activation zone. Not sure if it is publicly accessible, but I would expect at least some shuttle service.

73 Heinz

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia the road up Kitzbühler Horn is a panoramic toll road. Also a gondola is going up!

1 Like

Such topics and the kindness and empathy in the replies are beautiful reminders of what a nice bunch of people you all are :+1:.

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I want to close this thread now. My XYLs mother became seriously ill overnight, and is in intensive care, so I won’t be activating in Austria this week. No responses please now, as I need to concentrate on the situation we now find ourselves in.

73 Phil

3 Likes

Dear SOTA Friends

Thank you to the many of you who worked me yesterday on the Kitzbueler Horn OE/TI-461.

It has been a very sad and traumatic week for our family. When we met here at the hotel last Friday there were five of us. Three of us, me, XYL Judy and her mother Paddy (Age 93) had flown from England. Daughter Sarah and husband Simon had flown here from Sydney in VK2.

This was to be Paddy’s last holiday in Austria, a place she has been visiting for holidays for 60 years. Sadly only four of us are leaving Austria alive. On Sunday Paddy fell in the night and suffered internal injuries - quickly resulting in renal and other organ failure. She was perfectly well during our travel to Austria and in the days before this when we used the cable car to go to the top of the Hahnenkamm and to Kufstein Castle. We have some lovely photos of our last days together.

Paddy was cremated on Wednesday after dying on Tuesday and we have the necessary repatriation documents to bring the ashes home with us today for a memorial service at her church in York in the next week or two.

Please do not place any condolences on this thread. I have asked the MT to close it down after publication of my message. I just wanted the SOTA community to know what has happened to our family this week in Austria.

73 Phil OE/G4OBK/P

1 Like