Antenna advice please

Does anyone use a mobile antenna for 5mhz for portable use and if so what do you use and how do you find the performance? I have seen that Hustler make a RM-50 Hustler 60-40m Resonator. Any aerial would have to be attached to my car via a mag mount which i know is not ideal but i dont have any choice on my car. I know you are not allowed to use 5mhz mobile but i dont see any reason why you cannot use a mobile aerial which is attached to a car for portable work. The reason i am asking is that i would like to listen or even possibly try and work activators while i am at work. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Geoff G4WHA

In reply to G4WHA:

You’ll also have seen they do a 60m specific aerial.
I have an 80m Ampro or Pro-Am (forget which, but I think they’re probably different badges on the same antenna), kindly donated by Don G0NES, which is to be converted to 60m, for just the same use as you plan.

I can just get my Outbacker Pro onto the three highest frequencies, but swapping whips about is a pain.

Can’t comment on mag mounts - not much use on a Land Rover!

73 Graham G4FUJ

I have just fitted the IC-706 into the car for my trip to Scotland. I will have an 80m whip on the car. I will see if it tunes okay with the auto tuner on 60m and if it does I can let you know, but you will either need to work me on one of the summits or wait 2 weeks until I can post a reply here :o)

Steve GW7AAV

PS Some people have successfully used a very low resonant dipole fed from a mag mount on the roof while parked up.

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve,

Also have IC-706M2G + AT-180 and ProAm 80m whip so will have to do some test on 60m and let you know how I get on with it.

Terry
G0VWP

In reply to G4WHA:

A portable magnetic loop might be worth considering. They work well if constructed well.

Nigel. G6SFP.