Another milestone about to be reached

I have just had a look at my statistics on the database, and with a bit of luck I am about to get Chaser Contact No 500 with GM7PKT, Robin.
Robin, I do hope you get up onto Ben Lawers todays!!!

Andy, any chance of another enhancement to the Database: How many Chaser Points against each Activator?.. hmm?
73 to all
Ken

yepiii
Robin did show up from GM/CS-001 at around 1100 UTC and that was my No 500 Chaser Contact with Robin
Thanks!

1 Like

Very impressive Ken - makes my 44 contact with Robin fade into the distance.
73 Glyn

I read this as I was walking up the track to the transmitter site at the top of WS-344 Cruim Leacainn, which is just a little North of Fort William. I thought "oh noes… how can I have a 2m S2S with Robin now if he is on Ben Lawers and I and behind some of Scotland’s biggest hills, Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg etc. " Undeterred I setup. I always forget to do 2m so I have a cheat sheet sellotaped to the 817 telling me to turn on 2m and the order to tune and change bands so G4ZRP can find me. I turned on the handy and there was Robin calling CQ. On the rubber duck Robin was 57 when he pointed his antenna at me. Neither of us can understand how the path worked.

Here it is, all 60kms of it:

I’m at the left, the big stuff near me is The Grey Corries (boy were they grey today), the big stuff before Robin is the Corbett Cam Creag behind Meggernie Castle and the last lump before Ben Lawers is Meall a’Choire Leith CS-041. I can’t see how 2.5w of FM from a rubber duck got over that lot.

Cracking day to be in the hills!

2 Likes

Hi Ken,

Had not really thought about all the contacts I’ve had with Robin over the years, but a quick check has me down for 629 contacts as to the 23rd of April (though I think a little bit of filtering is required ie., different modes from the same summit?) - he’s a busy boy (don’t know if this is the most from a single Chaser with Robin?). Both my Activator & Chaser logs are out of synch at the moment. Now just moved into new shack and main computer is now up and running, I’ll tackle these over the next couple of weeks :relaxed:

Jack(;>J

I suppose diffraction is a possibility, or oblique reflections. Very interesting!

Brian

Looks like knife edge refraction to me off that pointy thing about 12km downstream from your position Andy. Thankfully Robin has decent kit. I think you would have had no luck rubber duck to rubber duck. Well done on giving it a try. If you don’t try, you don’t get. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

That is some record Ken. Well done. It is good to hear that level of support for Robin’s efforts on VHF
which is not easy in such mountainous terrain.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Well today myself and Robin chatted about this for sometime… he was on Meall a’Bhuiridh WS-017 and I was on Creach Bheinn WS-150. We too were thinking knife edge diffraction going over something in The Grey Corries, see below.

Robin was SE of them and I was located NW of them.

Today’s 2m FM S2S between us was a 2-way completion, along with 2 completions with yesterday’s S2S contacts. :smiley:

I have had several incidences of obvious knife edge refraction while on summits (e.g. over Plynlimon GW/MW-001 from Disgwylfa Fawr GW/MW-038), on occasion even off the sharp vertical face of a summit in visible range. It may have been a multiple refraction of course. Not as though the equipment allowed and time was available for any investigation. You just have to take it as it comes. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

I was there listening for you on 60m Andy; I could copy only about a quarter of what you sent on CW and now’t of your SSB. The F2 critical frequency has been hovering around 5 to 5.3 MHz during the daytime up here in GM-land, so the NVIS propagation wasn’t there for a QSO, SRI!
I also managed a contact with Robin again on 2m, but it was touch and go with some extremely fast QSB; with signals oscillating between S0 and S7 in the matter of a few seconds. I wonder what kind of propagation we had? I think it was too fast a QSB for it to sporadic E, and it didn’t sound like an aircraft reflection as the signals oscillated through some 6 or more cycles while I listened to Robin during my contact with Robin and also Robin’s following contact with GM4VGR… weird!