Android GPS hiking apps?

Yes, 2532 m. EA8/TF-004.

2 Likes

In the UK I tend to use the Ordinance Survey app, which works well. On recent trips to France I have used the IGNrando-French Hiking Routes app. If I canā€™t find an official app, like on a trip to Spain I use OsmAnd+ which draws from a number of sources including Open Strret Map and Open Topo. I use the paid version which is a one off payment.

Martin

1 Like

Try it mapy.cz android / web off-line maps. FREE and no advertisements.

1 Like

Yes, mapy.cz looks great, thanks!

Fraser, youā€™re very welcome to join a dedicated SOTA group on Garmin Connect:

Best 73 de Andy sp9nli

2 Likes

An interesting bug? Feature?

I havenā€™t updated the offline maps I use for Orux for a while and as I will be in HB9/DL/EA2/EA3/CT this year I fetched the latest OSM (Open Street Maps) for Android from Freizeitkarte website. I have a terrible habit of never deleting files if thereā€™s disk space so I have many folders in my Oruxmap collection on the home server dating back to when I 1st started using the program, so new maps into a folder Winter2022. Then the fun and games as I updated 3 Android devices with about 15GB of data. A quick check and home looks like home, Fridrichshafen appears on Germany-South and Geneva on Swizterland. Job done!

But looking at it closely this morning thereā€™s something wrong. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a map-theme issue. The maps use theme representation and you have a theme folder with icons etc. that show roads, forests, railway stations etc. Change the theme and the entire map looks different.

Anyway bridges are not showing. I checked on both the UK and a German map. An example is worth a 1000 wordsā€¦

Oruxmaps 7.4.26, Autumn2021 UK map, Tiramasu 3.0.2 theme. Note the bridge on the motorway and the railway crossing the river.

Oruxmaps 7.4.26, Winter2022 UK map, Tiramasu 3.0.2 theme. Note the bridges are missing.

I tried this on the older Oruxmaps 6.5.10 I use (I prefer the older UI) and itā€™s the same and I tried it with several other themes and the bridges are missing. I donā€™t think itā€™s a bug in Orux but Iā€™ll try it with Locus etc. and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a bug in the map data. Most likely I need some more modern themes to go with the new data. But if you have older downloaded OSM maps, just keep a backup of them if you download the latest versions in case you get bitten by this issue.

1 Like