Am

In reply to MM0FMF:
I had one of those Andy, LLR735K. Certainly couldn’t afford to run it today.

Dave
G4ASA

In reply to G4ASA:

I couldn’t afford to run it in 1985 when it was my “classic” car. 15mpg +/- IIRC. The main reason I couldn’t afford to run it was because my main car at the time was a Rover SD1 V8! At Least that would do about 23mpg on a run.

The sad thing about both was the way BLMC/BL designed both exhaust systems so it didn’t sound like you were packing 8 under the hood :frowning: A friend had a Monteverdi 375L at that time, 7.2L of Chrysler delight.

“Crobba-crobba-crobba-burble-burble”, said the exhaust.
“Damn, time to put more fuel in it”, said the owner!

Happy days!
Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4AZS:

Mmmm! I had a Rover 80 for many years, 872 MTE

I wonder if it came from the same dealer as my Rover P5B Saloon (3.5L
V8) which was MTE 934G ?

It might have - I bought it privately when it was 10 yrs old, and ran it for another 10 years.
Watching my petite wife parallel parking it was impressive. No power steering of course, so it had to be moving apace for her to be able to turn the wheel :o)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to MM0FMF:

… Rover P5B Saloon (3.5L V8)

Ah, the veritable “Peasant Crusher”. I used to work in Blackpool and quite often when someone on holiday was knocked down on the promenade, one of those was involved… hence the nickname given to it by my work colleagues.

… 15mpg

Sounds like it needed a tweak or maybe a difference in driving style - my friend got 18mpg out of his 6.6L Camaro. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Did the experiment today. Band looked flat today. 15 minute slots x2.
10.35-10.50 x1 broken EA call
15.15-15.30 X2 broken calls K0DL? & W1X? 15.20-15.29 QSO with Nick VE3OWV. Average 55 both ways. Nick with 80-90W. We both decided to stop the QSO because ‘tuners’ arrived. The two USA stations were being chopped by fluctuating noise but Nick was like listening to FM with a slight hiss.
Both slots on 29.012 Mhz. ~~~ AM Mode ~~~ :sunglasses:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G4OIG:
" would consider building a valve AM tramsmitter if I could find a suitable mod transformer at a reasonable price. I have 6/40’s, 3/20’s, 3/10’s and even 2/6’s. Unfortunately the audio bits were disposed of when the change to feeble mode was made.

73, Gerald G4OIG (G8CXK) "

Gerald, My dad got wind of this and in his infinite wisdom sent me this!!

""Tell the guy on SOTA AM thread who wants a mod tranny that I have a Pye 747 one available and it will cope with 2 x EL84 in push-pull mod to a QQV03-20 in a pa if he want one.

I’m using one for a 5 MHz rig with an 815 tube in the modulator and an 815 in the RF.

Note though there is a solid state af preamp in the design to protect against >2800 Hz top audio.

Dad"

So there you are, if you want it, it is yours!!!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald.We have a Renault Modus and to change a headlight bulb you have to take the bumper off.ATB Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

I thought you were having a laugh Geoff but the internet is full of articles on how to change these bulbs with the minimum of car disassembly. One guy said that having done it once he could change a bulb now in under 40mins. Ow!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to G4OIG:
" would consider building a valve AM tramsmitter if I could find a
suitable mod transformer at a reasonable price. I have 6/40’s, 3/20’s,
3/10’s and even 2/6’s. Unfortunately the audio bits were disposed of
when the change to feeble mode was made.

73, Gerald G4OIG (G8CXK) "

Gerald, My dad got wind of this and in his infinite wisdom sent me
this!!

""Tell the guy on SOTA AM thread who wants a mod tranny that I have a
Pye 747 one available and it will cope with 2 x EL84 in push-pull mod
to a QQV03-20 in a pa if he want one.

And my contribution is.

Having a sort out today came across a box of Amphenol Connex and RS sub-min gold 50 ohm connectors ( about 100) of various dispositions so if you go for it let me know what you want and I will pop some in a jiffy bag to you…

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt,

Thank your Dad for the very kind offer. After thinking about it I have come to the conclusion that I have too many things in the pipeline to warrant setting up another project, so I’ll pass on this occasion. Maybe will meet up with your Dad on 5MHz sometime when I get around to getting the antenna sorted: project number 1, Hi!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G6TUH:

Thanks for the offer of connectors Mike. I’ve decided that there is just too much in the pipeline, so 2m AM nostalgia will have to remain just that at the moment. I’ve a HiFi valve amp (ECC83 > ECC83 > 2 x EL84) rebuild to get sorted, but every time I get the bits out to make a start, something crops up. I’ll probably have to rub the rust off the chassis cutter by the time that I eventually do get underway. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Hello Gerald,

Well loads of bits here if you are missing any - no fee :sunglasses:

I am increasingly thinking of actually creating a catalogue of stuff here for my own use and the using it to weed stuff. The Connex bits here are low loss to 4Ghz so in the past I must have thought of doing something…but I cannot remember now :wink:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G4OIG:

Maybe will meet up with your Dad on 5MHz sometime when I get around to
getting the antenna sorted: project number 1, Hi!

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Gerald

Well I dare say you may do! He is planning a 60m Inverted V for his Garden as the the W3DZZ will not tune on 60m! No surprises really as it was never designed to work on these frequencies!

Dad is going for 100ohm twin flat feeder into the 60m dipole, no doubt he will run through his SEM Z Match tuner! Balanced ATU with Balanced antenna, IMHO the only way to go!!!

I cant fathom these G5RVs, chop the coax off, run more 300 ohm ladder into your shack and then buy/make a tuner with balanced outputs! Less noise and of course you are not going from unbalanced to balanced without a Balun!!!

Anyway the plan is to make a 25 watt (Carrier) Am rig for the band I believe. It is to be the same design as GW4GTEs!! So no doubt 100 watts PEP will be more than enough power!! The old man and his love of AM 41 years working in Shortwave Transmission and he still wants to play with more AM!!!

Also it means that if I want a decent antenna for SSB I can pop down there!

I would’ve thought you could have used the excuse of picking up the mod tranny as a suitable tactic for an airing of G8CXK in WB land!!! It would always make a hefty door stop :slight_smile:

Speak soon no doubt

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

I would’ve thought you could have used the excuse of picking up the
mod tranny as a suitable tactic for an airing of G8CXK in WB land!!!

The memories of dragging a Pye Cambridge AM10D and a 34A car battery up Kinder Scout would prevent me from carrying out such an undertaking again! Even more weigh if the mod section was valved! As for the G8 call, it has only been aired on 70cm and 23cm since its reincarnation and I am trying not to “dumb-down” to 2m, even though the licence originally incorporated that band.

Will keep an ear open on 5MHz for a big big carrier. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G6TUH:

Many thanks for the offer of FOC bits Mike. You might find if you “weed” via eBay, you’ll make a few pounds. Some of the bits on there are offered at an horrendous price.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I’ve a HiFi valve amp (ECC83 > ECC83 > 2 x EL84)

Leak Stereo 20 perhaps? Dump the GZ34 for 2 silicon diodes and a dropper if you can.

Ah yes, too many projects syndrome. I remember collecting many parts for a big KT88 based Ultra-linear hifi amp, 100W output, using Sowter transformers. I balked at the cost of the ironwork and when I moved house I sold all the valve gear to a dealer. So my rebuilt Stereo 20 went for £150, Troughline II for £35 (the pair cost me £45 17 years earlier). I got £250 for 3x KT88 (NOS boxed Gold Lion) and 2x RCA 6550 matched-pair (NOS boxed) which I found in the skip at a previous job. I was pleased but 13years on I reckon £200+ for each KT88 would be nearer the mark at today’s silly prices.

Much as though thermionic amplification is great to look at and smell, the sheer lack of faffing about with the newish Hifi is wonderful. The PA is just a switched mode PSU dumping current into the speakers. Flat audio, flat THD, flat IMD from 20Hz to 200kHz and it doesn’t get hot or sound better when it has warmed up. Turn on, turn up and enjoy from cold! The linear PSU in the CD player gets hotter than the amp does after a few hours of rattling the plasterboard.

Still a big shiny box with mesh covers holding many KT88s does look “proper”, especially if mono-blocks and sat by each speaker. :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

Hello Gerald, offer still stands.

I am not too keen on Ebay. I restored a Murphy B47 radio about 3 years ago, a very rare model, which was left in the house we bought decades ago. It sold for £300.

But I got messed around quite a lot by people so I am a bit wary of it all…

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH amd MM0FMF:

Pity you had a negative experience on eBay Mike. I’ve had a couple, but all has worked out okay in the end. Indeed my current Hi Fi is all eBay sourced with the exception of the turntable. I use Sony QS stuff in the main, so nowt special, but it puts out a good sound:

Sony PS-LX4 Direct drive turntable (purchased new 1984)
Sony TA-FB940R Integrated amplifier (nice big Mosfets) - eBay purchase
Sony CDP-XB740E CD deck - eBay purchase
Sony MDP-JB930 MD deck - eBay purchase
Sony TC-KB820S Tape deck - eBay purchase
Sony ST-311 FM tuner - eBay purchase
Speakers - Wharfedale Glendale 3’s - eBay purchase and modified

I’ve never have had 5 ears, so Dolby 5:1 hasn’t reached this shore! :wink:

The valve amp is a rebuild of my original amp, a Tripletone HiFi Major Series 3 rated at 12W RMS, 1967 vintage, which I used to run into a Goodmans Axiom 301 twin cone in a bass reflex cabinet. It was an amazingly loud set up, but seeing the speaker cabinet was large enough for me to get inside, it didn’t survive long after I got married. I am currently dithering on the rebuild of the case for the amp. Once that has been sorted, the electronics will be the easy part.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Have you seen what cassette tapes are going for on Ebay, Gerald.

High end metal tapes cost an arm and a leg these days.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I have very few tapes left and the machine is rarely on nowadays, so I haven’t kept up with prices on eBay, Mike. Any music that I source off eBay is usually on CD - back catalogue stuff can be quite cheap. Actually I don’t recall using the tape deck I have to record on other than on an initial test. I’ve a few TDK SA90’s and AR90’s spare, so I guess I won’t go wanting, Hi! :slight_smile:

I haven’t bothered moving onto downloading mp3’s as I find the sleeve notes very hard to read. Must be my failing eyesight! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG