Almagre Mountain - W0C/FR-023

I got my second activation yesterday on Almagre Mountain (W0C/FR-023). I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get the QSO’s since I activating on 2 meters with a 5 watt HT. I was surprised to get quite a few QSO’s, one of which was my first summit to summit over 65 miles away.

Climb time: 2 hours 50 minutes
Round trip time: 5 hours 11 minutes.

Leaving the trailhead Almagre in the distance

Approaching the south shoulder:

The antenna farm on the south summit:

A view of the ridgeline traverse to Almagre:

Looking back at the ridgeline route:

Back below treeline:

This is a quick video summary of the ascent:

Thanks to all those that responded to my CQ!

13 Likes

Great job on your Almagre climb.
Sorry i missed you.
Check out wg0at’s hike starting from the west side of Almagre
( 7 Lakes).
Paul w0rw Colorado.
[7 Lakes to Almagre],
(W7L Seven Lakes - YouTube)

Hey Paul, thanks for sharing that video, I hadn’t seen it previously. I loved that you guys included the history of the area. The route that was shown on the topo was pretty much the route that I took, except I went directly up south Almagre and went across the ridge.

I’m hoping to get out this next weekend to activate one of the other Front Range peaks, so who knows, maybe we’ll bump into each other on the air.

Dude, great job. Awesome scenery. I’m envious; we don’t have mountains like that up here.

Hopefully some HF on the next one?

1 Like

Hi Robert.
It was great to work you on Almagre.
The summits that overlook the front range cities (Pueblo, C Springs, Denver, Fort Collins) usually do quite well on 2m FM. Often there is a bit of a pile up.

You might want to check out the Colorado SOTA group here:

73 Bob K0NR

2 Likes

Hey Bob, thanks for the heads up on the groups.io link! Also, I thought I recognized your call sign this morning when I was on Mount Rosa (FR-034). I was one of the S2S QSO’s when you guys were on Bald Mountain. Good to catch you on the air again.