Alinco DJ-G7

Hi All
I am the proud owner of a shiny new-ish Alinco DJ-G7 and have bit of a problem.

I want to enter the local repeaters into the beast for saftey whilst climbing. The problem is the auto repeater function. When enabled, 2m and 23cm shift work correctly, but 70cm does not appear to have any kind of shift enabled. The radio is the “E” version.

I have the radio set in vfo mode, no memories programmed (as I am still waiting for the cable to be delivered)

Has anybody seen this problem and if so how do I get around it please?

Thanks

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:
Tim

When enabled, 2m and 23cm shift work correctly, but 70cm does not appear to > have any > kind of shift enabled. The radio is the “E” version.

According to Alinco the DJ G7E does not have an automatic shift on 70 cms

The manual is available at:-

http://www.alinco.com/pdf.files/

Page 82 (thats page 42 on the PDF) is the one you want.

Peter
G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

The pliable mallard that comes with the G7 is almost useless. Best use for it is a dust cover for the SMA on the set!

I have too many handhelds to remember how they work anymore. I can turn them on, tune a VFO for simplex QSOs and possibly defeat the squelch. We wont go into how mind numbingly complex the Icom IC80 is to use.

Andy, MM0FMF
Proud DJ-G7 owner.

In reply to G1FOA:
Hi Peter
I have enabled auto rpt, it adds the shift to 2m and 23cm but not 70cm…

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy

Its been a while…

Yes, the RD is pretty poor. I can see the repeater site from my hotel, its still scratchy on the RD though!

Early impressions of the Alinco, very good when on a decent aerial.

Catch you from the clouds sometime soon.

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

I have enabled auto rpt, it adds the shift to 2m and 23cm but not
70cm…

The manual says that on the E version the auto shift on 70 cms is not available I wonder if that’s because there are two alternatives in the UK - 1.6Mhz and 7.6Mhz. The T version has a 5 Mhz shift??

Peter

G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

Does it have two VFOs so that you can receive on one and transmit on the other?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Auto repeater shift is goofy for European use. So dial up the RX in VFO mode then press FUNC and quickly press MAIN to cycle through + shift, - shift and no shift. You can use the main top rotary dial to alter the shift amount. This way you can program any split you like. You can save the rx/tx pair in a memory and can have different splits for each memory saved.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Andy

That has cured it! I now have correct rpt shift for my small selection of 70cm,2m and 23cm backup repeaters.

Thanks to all for the help.

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian

In answer to your question - Yes it does!! Very strange when you are talking into the thing on 2m and you hear your 70cms local repater coming through the speaker into your gob HI!!!

Have used my extensively on 23cm for SOTA with my 11 ele beam and out and about round my town with an RH770 Antenna by Sharcom - Works really well, battery life is excellent and the ergonomics are good!

Matt G8XYJ - Avid Alinco DJ-G7 User!

In reply to G8XYJ:
Hi Matt

Is your 23cm 11 ele home brew?

Cheers

Tim

In reply to G4YTD:

11 ele beam? Pah!

You should see John GM8OTI’s manpack collapsible 2m dish for 23cms.

Arecibo eat your heart out! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4YTD:
It is made by Sandpiper, they have since Discontinued the product -

However I am sure if you enquired then they would br more than happy to make one for somebody!

Measures about the length of your arm, I have incorporated my 3 element 2m beam into the boom as well!!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

Or DIY…

http://www.marwynandjohn.org.uk/GM8OTI/proj23cm15eleyagi/proj23cm15eleyagi.html

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I tried to make one myself, however for the price of the 11 ele, it was not worth it!

However i would like to get my hands on some of the Tonna plastic moulded driven elements for 23cm!! Would be very good to use this in conjuction with a bit of Plastic and home brew elements.

Or alternatively have a go at the Bow Tie Antenna!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

I tried to make one myself, however for the price of the 11 ele, it
was not worth it!

What are you making it from? Lanthanum or such?

It’s a bit of waste pipe ( B&Q £1/m) and some ally rod. (B/Q £4/m) ! :slight_smile:

However i would like to get my hands on some of the Tonna plastic
moulded driven elements for 23cm!!

Antennes F.T.
132, Boulevard Dauphinot
51100 REIMS
FRANCE
Phone : +33 3 26 07 00 47
Fax : +33 3 26 02 36 54
http://www.f9ft.com/indexe.html

Or alternatively have a go at the Bow Tie Antenna!

Easy because they are tolerant of measurement errors.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Antenna, Fully working, tested and deliversd 24 pounds! Aluminium Box section for boom, Thick Ally rod for elements! Weatherproof box for the driven element, Ntype on the feedpoint ( You and I sing from the same Hymn book on N type and PLs!) Enough said really, Having said that knowing your usual replies Andy, you will have something to say!

However I would like to see your design for the Bow tie Antenna, very simple and extremely lightweight I presume!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/3422214400/

That’s the old Icom X21AT which is now SK :frowning:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/3422214972/

Packed away before stowing in the rucksack.

I’ve got a link to the design I copied on the PC at home not this one. I’ll post it later. Brian G4ZRP made one as per the measurements using no special tools at all. The match appears very good, he fed a dummy load through a Bird43 from his Delta 100 and checked the forward and reverse powers measured on 1297.5MHz with 10W. Forward showed 10W and reverse showed zilch. Then he swapped in the antenna and the results were the same. Probably 1.1:1 or better then.

His works well… stations in the LD with him on The Wirral that are inaudible on 23cms using the DJ-G7 and rubber duck are 55 on the double quad. That’s inside the loft shack as well!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8XYJ:

Antenna, Fully working, tested and deliversd 24 pounds!

Twenty four pounds???

Good grief!!!

But retirement has made me much more careful …

:wink:

John GM8OTI

In reply to G8XYJ:

Double quad design link:

http://members.chello.nl/b.modderman/quad.html

Andy
MM0FMF