Airport security

I haven’t got the ruler out yet, but I’m pretty sure that the battery packs for Yaesu handhelds, the internal one for my HB1B and rechargeable AA cells do not exceed these limits. That’s what 'HGY and I take on our trips, so we should be OK.

On our recent Tenerife trip, there were a couple of lengthy discussions about my HB1B, and it’s battery (which I had separated with the terminals taped up) as we passed through security, but we were allowed through. This was as we set off at Manchester Airport.

A week later, at Tenerife del Sur Airport, the security staff was not 100% happy, and said “Next time, this goes in the big luggage” - but let us through. Whenever we fly again with radio gear, I will, as usual, double-check with the airline concerned, but am more-minded now to pack stuff in the hold luggage.

Hi Tom,

Fair enough. Check first is good. The Etihad edict about max battery size applies to hold luggage - totally banned from carry on. I expect the contagion to spread.

We may need to have a buddy system whereby when you arrive at destination your buddy meets you with a loaner battery and maybe loaner rig.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

I’d certainly be up for that! I’m probably going to be in Aus and NZ in the autumn. That’s the only SOTA places on the whole trip so a “loan” or “meet up and dual activate” scheme might be better than risking a load of gear.

It’s where they fly from that is the problem. Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Lebanin, Kuwait, UAE.

If you don’t transit or originate in these countries you are not affected. The UAE transit will be an issue for VKs as I think many of their flights do stopove there now.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

I don’t think the departure from the Middle East is relevant. It might be what was in nthe mind of the legislators but it’s not what has been implemented. The email was couched in terms of where we VK’s fly to ie USA and whom we fly with. A flight to the US from here would have a more local port as the departure point even if the plane itself had started from Dubai. Flying to the US from UAE etc via Australia would be very unusual. All baggage and passengers would be decanted before loading for the next flight begins. I think I could fly to NZ from here with Etihad without new restrictions. So far no other airline has notified me of such a restriction yet. However I expect a flow on on the basis that “it seems like a good and cheap idea”.

Should anyone be coming to VK3 for activations and be concerned about batteries and rig etc please email me re arrangements if you want a loaner etc.

Ron
VK3AFW

Actually, it’s very common for Western Australians - it’s an hour or two shorter that way.

1 Like

Andrew,

I guess that’s VK6 to East Coast USA. Might not be better for West Coast USA.

Not quite what I was saying, but would complicate life for WA as they would transit via Dubai etc and maybe it would be a new flight from there. Going in the opposite direction and apparently not totally peculiar…

It’s basically a restriction placed on UAE etc airlines flying into the US regardless of the origin or transit stops. Trump wants to impose travel restrictions on people from a list of countries. Also one way of helping US airlines to be great again is to find ways to make travel on alternatives less pleasant.

I’m not planning a trip to the US this year so it’s not of consequence for me.

Ron
VK3AFW

I’ve just bought a KX2, and travelling to Ireland with Etihad via Dublin Frankfurt and Friedrichschafen in July . Thinking of packing radio only in my luggage and getting my brother to organize a battery for me when I get to Ireland. Don’t want to risk losing any equipment on the way.

if someone is coming to VK6 to do Sota, let me know and I can help with some loan equipment. Looks like it may be the way we have to go in the future the way things are going. All in the name of Freedom.

John VK6NU

1 Like

Oh I think flights from certain Middle East countries to the UK and US is exactly the point.

The issue is the transit in Dubai is landside, so you are treated as if you originate in Dubai. The UK haven’t banned Dubai laptops because a large portion of their flights between Asia/Africa and UK use Dubai as a transit point, but the US have banned Dubai flights because…well who knows these days.

Another battery fire on board an aircraft is reported in today’s international media. This time it was a lithium battery in a passenger’s backpack.

Each time there is an incident of this kind, we move closer to a total ban on lithium batteries on passenger flights.

Of course, Trump’s proposed rule to compel people to stow batteries and battery-operated equipment in the hold would make the situation even worse.

Walt (G3NYY)

Cheap Chinese S**** not correctly stowed for transport.
Where is the tape over the terminals?
Where is the safety packaging.

US security theatre makes us jump through hoops and this junk got on board? Sack the baggage screeners.

Perhaps check the hand mic and antenna but carry the transceiver on board?

When I travelled to Spain with my FT817ND in October '16 from Bristol with Easyjet I took two 12v 7Ah SLABS. In preparation I contacted Easyjet who said that if Bristol security didn’t have any objections I could take them as hand luggage, I emailed Bristol who said no problem after I had emailed them the datasheet from Yuasa. On the day though it was totally different tone.
I was told that they could not go, a supervisor was called and said no. He looked at the emails that I had printed along with the datasheet then looked at the batteries which had plastic covers on the terminals, taped and bagged, separately Off he went to easyjet customer service and came back with a no. Then he took my printed emails to Easyjet and they again said no despite my having clear permission to take them.
So they were taken off me and I would be allowed them back upon my return and they would charge me £6 storage. After 40 minutes of discussion at 4:30am I decided to leave them behind reluctantly.
Later the supervisor tracked me down in departures and said that in his opinion I had done everything correctly and had sought permission so he thought that I should be allowed to take them. He phoned the pilot and was told that the aircrew would look at them when I boarded, could I board last please?, but I may have to give them up or they might have to travel with the pilot. The aircrew just asked if I had taped the terminals I assured them I had and they said could I please put them on the floor under my seat. So thank you for common sense supervisors. The rucksack containing tuners, wire aerials etc and the 10m sotabeams travel pole in my suitcase didn’t attract any attention at all.
On the return flight the Spanish just looked and shrugged.
Andy
M0RON

1 Like

Parents bringing back to France from Canada a 4.5 ah LifePo4 for a friend very soon. They are carrying it in their hand luggage without any radio, hopefully it will be ok. I shall report…

Edinburgh airport had seen this gear before - FT817 and LiPoFe (I wonder who that was?) and were more concerned about my shaving brush; so absolutely no problem. Funchal, the guy on the scanner did a double-take then smiled and said “OK”

I am going to Friedrichshafen next month for the hamfest!! I would like to take my KX3 and maybe find a summit or 2.

I have a LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and was wondering if there is a problem with taking it on the plane? Carry on or checked?

Thanks
Kent
NC6B

Hi,

According to this you should be able to carry it as checked-in luggage unless it is a monster-sized one.
Double-check your airline’s rules on top of that to see what they say about dangerous goods. They may have their own rules and override the above.

Enjoy your trip!

Arnaud
JG1XMV / KD2AFE

There’s a massive thread titled “Airport Security” that goes into this in great detail with lots of examples. It boils down to the size of the battery and what airports you are transiting through. Arnaud’s link is the IATA link, but airlines have their own rules that can be more restrictive. In general, you should be OK, unless you’re bringing along a psychotically sized one.

Thanks. I found some info on the KLM website. It looks like my 72 watt hour battery must be taken in carry on baggage only. I had planed to put the radio in my carry on anyway.

Kent
NC6B