Airport security

Gents my security problems ended when I bought Li-Ion batteries. They fullfil IATA requirements and supply my FT-817 well in summits!

73, Saku

Went through Helsinki’s airport without a hitch today. I have everything in transparent zip-lock bags and take everything out by myself without having them ask for it. Random luck I guess (knock on wood).

2 Likes

I’ve just done 5 sectors in Australia domestically in the last couple of weeks. The standard battery question they asked every time at check in was “do you have any loose spare batteries in your checked in bag?” I answered no as the batteries I had were either fitted to the equipment they are used on/with or in their origional packaging. So to my mind they (VX6 battery in a VX6 and numerous others in my electric razor, my mothers Cochlear hearing processor etc) weren’t loose.

Compton
VK2HRX

Last year to Tenerife EA8 and back, we had no problems as such - but our big suitcase (checked baggage) that contained all the gear was last out into baggage reclaim after a long wait!

This time, we got more specific advice from the airline (Jet2) and observed that to the letter.

So:

FT-817 (with battery tray but no batteries)
HB1B (with cover unscrewed, separate)
HB1B battery pack, terminal taped up
VX7R and VX110 HTs, both with battery pack disconnected and terminals taped up

…all went in cabin baggage, with printouts of licences, Jet2 rules and regs, Spanish BOE rules and regs and Jet2’s emails to me. All these documents were also in both out checked suitcases with items in there like MFD antenna, end-fed antenna, minipole, walking poles, clocks, transistor radio, Palm Paddle and microphone.

Security at Manchester Airport were interested in my VX7R battery, briefly, but nothing else. Jimmy’s tray didn’t even get a bleep from the scanner.

On the return, everything passed through Tenerife Sur security without bleeps or interest.

Doddle!

At risk of keeping this long thread in a permenant state of necromancy, I just had an awful experience in Dubai transiting. Managed to keep my lithium battery, but basically had to go back outside security, get an airline representative to come through and talk to the security chief to allow me to get the battery back. Touch and go for about twenty minutes there. Chatting with them afterwards on the way to the lounge, they basically said I should get the aircrew to keep the battery on the aircraft - but that isn’t going to fly (no pun intended) at all. They also suggested they reminded the security guy about the amount of paperwork he’d have to fill in if they put in a complaint.

My advice, get a DG approved letter on airline letterhead from your airline prior to transiting Dubai, just in case. The security guy showed me a sticker saying all batteries are not allowed past security. Of course, how would you take a spare laptop battery? They missed the USB storage brick I was also carrying. God bless rules and bless more those context-based societies that can be talked into not applying rules.

[Edit: yes, I was carrying airline documents stating I could carry the battery, and yes, I had the IATA pamphlet printed as well… He kept pointing at the sticker. “NO BATTERIES!”]

In good news then, my activations for later in the week are still on! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Where in the Blue Blazes did that sticker come from? Did it have the government crest on it? Sounds incredibly suss. I would have expected at least an A4 sheet with a list of prohibited items. Was it intended to get you to maker a donation to the No Batteries Charity?

Full marks to the airlines people. I assume it was you who thought of getting them to intercede. Nice.

Good luck with the rest of the trip.

Ron

No, it was official, stuck to security scanners. It was the security guy who suggested the airline folks as in I’m not letting this through without approval from them

1 Like

I realise it is difficult for VK travellers to avoid Dubai due to links between QANTAS and Emirates airlines. But I keep saying, don’t go to places where they have their own local rules.

Samsung’s latest “quality” issues probably are not helping.

1 Like

I never had issues flying via Dubai or Abu Dabhi - these were always the best “bang for you buck” flights from Australia to Europe. I think everytime I was flying with radio gear, I wasn’t stopping over. Coming back in from outside the airports might hit more problems than simply transiting through the airports.

73 Ed.

1 Like

First time I’ve had issues transiting Dubai as well. I might fly via Stinkypore or Honkers next time though.

Interestingly re Samsung issues, the recently recalled phones were explicitly banned from being turned on or charged on the aeroplane. Qantas often jumps on board those sorts of safety issues.

1 Like

YAFTME or Yet Another Flight To Mainland Europe. This time Edinburgh > Berlin with SqueezyJet. I arrived 2hr30 before my gate closed knowing how slow Edinburgh security is to check carry on bags. It’s been painfully slow the last 2 times taking over 40mins each time. This time self-service luggage checkin had no queue and I was through security and in to duty free in 10mins! TEN MINS! Unheard of.

I did get singled out for a swabbing when walking through the metal detectors. Palms and trouser belt swabbed, all clear. No problems with my bag or contents. Laptop+charger/mouse/USB cables. Phone charger, USB LiPO phone charger, FT817, 4Ahr RC LiPOin LiPO safe bag,diabetic syringe and bag of syringe tips, diabetic blood glucose meter and finger prickers. Lots of people having their bags searched though. But not me this time.

So once more it’s completely random at Edinburgh as to whether they pull you out for further checking.

As usual, YMMV.

1 Like

Recent trip from Melbourne Australia via Auckland to San Francisco then return Vancouver, San Francisco, Auckland and Melbourne.
Roll of Gaffer Tape removed from carry on baggage at Melbourne. Cable ties were not queried. LiFePo battery created some interest. Presented the airline prohibited goods document and all was OK
Auckland, asked to remove all electronic equipment from carry on luggage. Filled many trays. Phone, tablet, Garmin navigator, GPS, Spot, KX3, the battery, VX7…
Vancouver, LiFePo battery queried. Interest in the KX3
San Francisco. Everything out again.
Auckland, Only the battery presented some interest. Did not have to pull out each and every item. I was actually in the process of doing this when told not to bother. This is what caused the interest in the battery as it was inside the bag.
The only consistency with airport security and scanning is that it is not consistent.
Shoes and belt off at Vancouver (for flights to USA one actually enters the USA at the airport in Vancouver) and San Francisco, not required at Auckland nor Melbourne.
No issues at Melbourne customs with the tent or walking boots and poles.
Air New Zealand had a lousy selection of in flight movies and was unchanged for the return home. Had down loaded ARRL bulletins from W1AW for light entertainment at 18 wpm :slight_smile:
Cheers Tony VK3CAT

1 Like

Having just returned from a visit to see my daughter in Brisbane ,Australia it makes me appreciate what a lottery it is taking batteries and electronic equipment through airport security.
My wife and I departed from Heathrow for Singapore.
At Heathrow security my wife realised that she had a pair of nail sissors in her handbag.
Reading the signs listing prohibited items it said that sissors were allowed provided the blade part was less than 5cm long (I think it was 5cm) .
Our hand baggage went through the scanner and we were allowed to pass.

At Singapore ,checking in for the flight to Brisbane, the passenger in front of us had a packet containing tiny allen keys removed from their hand baggage. These had come with the new camera they had just bought. I can’t think of a less offensive item.
My wife had the nail sissors removed from her handbag . It seems that in Singapore all sissors are banned no matter how small.

For both the sissors and the allen keys it was suggested that if the airline could carry them for us and we could collect them at Brisbane airport. The airline agreed to do this.

I was surprised that the 6 inch metal guy pegs in my rucksack were allowed or maybe just not spotted .
I put these in my suitcase for the return journey.

Well when we got to Brisbane these items were not to be found at baggage reclaim as directed .
The couple with the allen keys had a connecting flight to catch so left empty handed as we did also not wishing to keep our daughter waiting for us at arrivals.

At customs we declared our various medications and carrying over $900 worth of equipment.
I was asked what the equipment was and how much it cost in Sterling.
I said it was mostly an expensive radio costing about ÂŁ450. (FT 817)
We were allowed to go.

4 weeks later, on the return journey , at one point I was just asked to explain what this dark rectangle was on the scan of my rucksack.
Its a ‘radio’ I replied 'would you like to see it '?
No that’s fine, and through we went.

On both journeys my rucksack contained my normal SOTA activating kit , plus a spare 3000mah Lipo battery.
I think I was lucky .
David G3RDQ

1 Like

And the return leg (delayed 1hr thanks easyJet!)

Berlin SXF to Edinburgh. Laptop/camera/FT817/phone in one tray, jacket/watch/cash/junk out pockets in another, bag with Lipos and a zillion chargers/cables in a third. Security guy picked FT817 and I said “Amateurfunk” and he said “OK”.

Oh dear, “collect your other items and please follow me” said the man with a huge gun strapped to his side after I went through the metal detector. I don’t know how he knew I spoke English… I must look like an English speaker! However, he had the tray with the electronics and I had the bag and jacket. He swabbed my 817, laptop, my trouser belt, around my trouser pockets and my palms and put the swab into his Interocitor. After 30 secs he said OK. So once more, absolutely no interest in the LiPOs, either of them. This time the 817 was the suspect item.

Fuerteventura in 4 weeks, let’s see what happens there :wink:

1 Like

Dr OM Andy,
On the Canary Islands it helps when you explain yourself with: Soy Radio Afficinado. They look than to you with a mix of understanding and pity :slight_smile:
Have a nice SOTA Holiday!
73 de geert pa7zee

Substitute disbelief for understanding and my beloved could get a job there :smile:

A short break to Iceland, with the possibility of a short SOTA activation meant I had the opportunity to take the radio/battery/amp/wires through 2 new airports for me, Bristol and Keflavik.
Sadly,due to near horizontal hail and sleet on the appointed morning for an activation, I had to cancel it :frowning:

I did take the IATA ‘dangerous goods’ leaflet, the email I had from IATA regarding electronic goods being in hand luggage, and an email from ‘Wow airlines’ regarding any battery up to 100Wh being OK for hand luggage. Anyway, Bristol Airport, 817, Lifepro4 battery, phone, tablet, 2 cameras and assorted ‘junk’ in 2 trays, and all they were interested in appeared to be my shoes.

Keflavik Airport, all they seem to want taken out of the backpack in security was any laptop or tablet. By the time they’d told me this I’d already removed the 817 and battery anyway, so I added the tablet to the tray. The tray got ‘selected’ for further investigation. The nice lady seemingly interested in the Lifepro4 battery (Tracer variety), Asking what it was, and seemingly intrigued why there was tape across the end. I explained what it was, and pointed out the ‘96Wh’ sticker on the battery case, and that was it, clear to go.

Lots of people appeared to be having their shoes and hands swabbed in Keflavik.

Don
m0hcu

1 Like

Hi

Just passed 4 airports with the amateur radio gear (Lisbon, Oporto, Toronto Pearson and Ponta Delgada) without any problem.

Their only concerns are the laptop, a tablet and tooth paste…
No mention for the KX-2+battery (in the last 2 airports stayed in the bag).

Two more flights, no problems to report. Laptop / FT817 / LiPo / USB cables / USB chargers / Diabetic syringes etc. were in my bag.

Glasgow>Fuerteventura: no problems with any item although the “security theatre” was strong. Many travelers had already ditched their Scottish winter clothes and were suitable dressed for a week in the sun. Obviously this meant all women wearing flip-flops had to remove them and have them X-rayed (shakes head and cries). I had forgotten to remove my small suncreme tube and place it in a bag and my daughter had sufficient make up in her bag to sink a battleship. This was not noticed. Draw your own conclusions.

Fuerteventura>Glasgow: we got a bonus upgrade to rapid security and again no problems.

Hi all,

Just posted by Etihad but no doubt a number of other carriers flying into or via the USA will be affected by the latest Trump Edict. The last para makes taking your rechargeable batteries likely to be a bit of a problem. None of mine are less than 15 mm thick. Framed without enough thought I suggest as will impact on many photographers.

Not allowed in carry-on baggage:
Electronic devices and their accessories larger than 16cmx9.3cmx1.5cm. This includes laptops, tablets, e-readers, cameras, game-consoles, speakers, printers and other powered electronic items. All such items must be completely shut down or powered off and placed in your checked-in baggage at point of origin._

Under the new US regulation, battery packs, power-banks and spare batteries larger than 16cmx9.3cmx1.5cm are prohibited from both checked baggage and cabin baggage. We recommend our guests not to travel with these items, to prevent these being confiscated during the security screening.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like