Ailsa Craig island summit

I would just like to thank Jimmy and Tom for organizing the trip and laying on near perfect wx.

Ive visited Arran several times and often looked at the evocative Aisla Craig, from the BBC “Coast” programme I was led to believe that visiting was a no-no and was over moon to be able to attend.

Some of the buildings are just as they were left down to a bucket still full of coal in the boiler house, I sure this will all change over time as more people “explore” the island.

Wildlife was amazing watching the Dolphins, Sealions and Gannets diving while waiting for the boat to arrive, not sure about the masses of sandflies on the summit though.

Just wish we had more time to study the island and play radio, I could have stayed the whole day, maybe next time.

Regards

Nick G0HIK

Hi All

For the record Jimmy MM3EYP/P was the first to activate GM/SS-246 Ailsa Craig for SOTA and he did it with a handheld on 2m FM. I won’t say who got to the top of the summit first and claimed the trig…from jetty to the top took the fittest operators exactly 40 minutes and it was an extremely difficult climb for just the one point.

A few of the activators will also claim the chaser point by either working Jimmy when he came on and they were still climbing, or as I did, dropped down to the 290m level outside the activation zone to secure their chaser QSO with one of the operators who came on later, in my case I worked Christine GA4YMM/P using the handheld of Geoff GM6MZX/P who used my rig on 40m to qualify SS-246 for himself whilst I went down the hill sufficiently with my GPS to get my chaser QSO.

To sum up - what a fantastic day out with a great bunch of guys. Not a crossed word between us. I can’t say the same for our skipper and mate from the MV Glorious however, who had an altercation on the Ailsa Craig jetty with the crewman of another boat who’s dinghy had been tied up in our mooring spot. I’ve heard some bad language but nothing this bad!

Thank you to all the chasers, especially from mainland EU who worked as quickly as they could so that the maximum number of contacts were made, this was very much appreciated. Also to Roy G4SSH for helping us with his Dial-A-Spot service.

73 Phil G4OBK

A fantastic and memorable day. Huge thanks to all the other ten ops/participants who made up the 12 we needed to charter the boat for our exclusive use and individual requirements. Jimmy and I plotted a plan to activate this summit a while back, but soon realised we would need a very flexible and understanding boatman, some expert local knowledge, and ten other particpants who were all able to be available for four days and ready to turn up at a few hours notice. So it seemed a real long shot, but fortunately, in Mark the boatman, and fellow expeditioners Phil, Ken, Christine, Geoff, Joan, Jim, Allan, Jack, Robert and Nick, the impossible was made possible.

This flexibility and organisation enabled us to use the latest and most accurate wx information to pick the best day - and it was a beauty. Without doubt the most spectacular SOTA summit I have ever operated from, and the most difficult one pointer I have ever climbed!

Views ranged from GI, with Slemish GI/AH-007 particularly distinct, around Arran and Holy Island, to the Rhins. Well done to those who scaled the beast in 40 minutes. It took me the thick end of 90 minutes, and was a tough physical challenege. In many places, you could stand up, reach out and touch the ascending path in front of you! All too often, it was an all-fours scramble up the mud or horribly loose scree. Descending was easier, but again still took me too long, as the vertigo set in the the legs didn’t want to work!

All in all, a very satisfying and enjoyable day, on a most unique place. Phil G4OBK was impressive in every way, from his lightning-quick ascent of “Paddy’s Milestone”, to his excellent radio operation comprising several bands and modes, and no less than 70 QSOs - superb. Jimmy M3EYP claimed the first activation of GM/SS-246, but is to be more congratulated for being the driving force that made this whole thing happen, from telling me about when I should be contacting the boatman, to regular email and text message communications with all the confirmed and prospective participants.

Cheers,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0HIK:

Its all very well you keeping the Dolphins to yourself! Jack sent me off in the wrong direction but I made it back to the boat abit hot and bothered (thats my story and I am sticking to it). Rather steep in places!

A great day and I was happy with my 2m ssb contacts, despite Jack pulling down my aerial and bending all the elements, I hadnt secured it that well I admit but sabotage crossed my mind! Who paid him?

Thanks to Jimmy and Tom for organising a really good positive day, fantastic views in superb wx. Scotland at its best. Phil now knows what a “special fish supper” is…and how well they swear in Ayrshire:)
Robert GM4GUF

Sorry I missed the dolphins also - too busy operating and then packing up as late as I could get away with, so Tom, Jack and myself were too late!

I have just put a GPS profile of our route on Flickr. It’s not too clear though:

Imgur

73 Phil G4OBK

In reply to M1EYP:

Congratulations to all the team !

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to M1EYP:

Excellent report Tom,

Well done to all for getting a real unique activation, and as you say a big well done to Jimmy for the main organisation.

Very jealous of you all for such an adventure.

well done again.

Tony

In reply to M1EYP:

I had a bad attack of Finagle, Tom, just before things started my local plasma TV fired up, S9 hash on all bands…when are you doing it again?:wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil,
Great to catch you on Ailsa Craig but for some strange reason I was getting you better than you were getting me especially as I was running 100 watts from the FT-857 in to a resonant dipole. I was working from the car parked on Holy Island (Lindesfarne) IOTA EU-120 but I don’t think you got that information.
I was later informed on 80m that the signal was clipping, which I need to investigate, but it seemed to get better when I reduced power to 30w. Voltage drop on the 60amp cable run from the battery?

Steve G7AAV/P

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve

It did sound like the battery was sagging a bit Steve, but we just made the QSO. You could do some tests from home with the same setup and look at the voltage display falling on the 857 when you go onto TX. The rig would probably be fine running at 60w for some considerable time but I think trying to run the full gallon of 100w with a 7 AH cell may be pushing things a bit far if the battery voltage drops much below 11.5v on the FT-857. Steve G1INK should know better than me. I’m told the IC706 is even less tolerant of a low battery voltage than the FT-857 is.

73 Phil

In reply to GW7AAV:

Check your in-line fuse holders for corrosion. They have a habit of corroding & sufficient current struggles to get through. I removed my fuses all together.

In reply to G4OBK:

I was not on the 7AH battery Phil, but I was on the 857 in the Land Rover Discovery and that battery is the size of a small house (dog or doll house maybe). I think the problem maybe the length of the cable run from under the bonnet to the rear of the vehicle or it could be RF getting in to the rig via either the power cable or the mike/head extensions.

Steve thanks for the tip. I think I am okay there but after Ros Fell in the rain where the portable 857 kept going off due to the fuse holders being full of water it may turn into one.

73 Steve GW7AAV

Congratulations to all involved for a super expedition. The photos say it all. It looks like a stunning place and what an outlook you had for the activation.

It was a pleasure - and a surprise - to work many of you when we were on Blake Fell. (We had intermittent GPRS coverage so keeping up to date with the timing wasn’t that easy.)

Well done!
73, Richard

In reply to M1EYP, etc.

Many tnx and congratulations to all team-members.
After 30 years of Ham-Radio I am still very fascinated
about the different things I am still learning “around” the hobby

As seen in Wikipedia:
“The Scots, in particular, believe that the best-quality curling stones are made from a specific type of granite called “ailsite,” found on the Ailsa Craig. According to the Scottish Curling Stone Company, Ailsite has very low water absorption, which prevents the action of freezing and melting water from eroding the stone. In the past, most curling stones were made from this granite. However, the island is now a wildlife reserve and is no longer used for quarrying. Because of the particular rarity of Ailsite, costs for curling stones can reach as much as US$1,500 for the best stones. Kays of Scotland has been making curling stones since 1851 and has the exclusive rights to Ailsa Craig granite as granted by the Marquess of Ailsa, whose family has owned the island since 1560.”

I hope you took some stones with you :wink:

Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi to All fellow participants on the Ailsa Craig expedition.Thanks to all involved.I found it a struggle to get to the top and very nearly gave in.It was the sight of Phils fishing pole about another 150 feet above me that spurred me on to the top.What a smashing set of people I would be only to pleased to join them again.Thank`s Geoff G6MZX

I have just uploaded a few more pictures of our expedition to the official Flickr Group.

Welcome.  This group shows pictures related to the popular Summits on the Air (SOTA) award programme. To submit photos, join the group, upload your photos to Flickr and add them to the group. It is an easy and effective way to show people photos of...

73 Phil

Here, at last, are mine and Jimmy’s photos from the Ailsa Craig GM/SS-246 expedition:

http://tomread.co.uk/AilsaCraig.htm

In reply to GW7AAV:

I was not on the 7AH battery Phil, but I was on the 857 in the Land
Rover Discovery and that battery is the size of a small house (dog or
doll house maybe). I think the problem maybe the length of the cable
run from under the bonnet to the rear of the vehicle or it could be RF
getting in to the rig via either the power cable or the mike/head
extensions.

I overcame this by putting a 12AH wheelchair battery in the spare wheel well. I charge mine using a voltage sensing relay, you can buy purpose built ones from motor factors under the SMARTCOM name. If I recall correctly, the disco is prewired for towing & has a connector behind the offside rear light cluster that can be tapped into. If you don’t have a trailer electrics socket, or only have one, it might be necessary to plug a split charge relay in the relevant holder.

But you probably know all this already…

Richard, M0EIQ