Ailsa Craig island summit

Hi Nick,

My Dad’s email address is good on QRZ and his website http://tomread.co.uk

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
hi Jimmy.Here is some info on the path to the top.

http://www.craggy.org.uk/ailsa_craig

All the best Geoff G6MZX

I can’t get this link to work Geoff. The only page about Ailsa Craig I can find on that site is:

…but wonder if you have found another one with more information?

Cheers, Tom M1EYP

The boatman has said that we can still be flexible for any day 10th to 14th August, the date will be confirmed probably on Sunday 9th. In answer to some people’s questions, the boat sails from Girvan at 10am.

I have the following numbers in my mobile: G4OBK, G6MZX, GM0AXY, GM4GUF. I still need a number exchange with MM1BJP.

There is one confirmed place left on the boat, and there is one very interested, but as yet unconfirmed party. But I would like to do a reserve list as well, so feel free to let me know your interest by email (tommyread at hotmail dot com), exchange mobile numbers, and I’ll add you to the list.

Cheers,

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom I don`t Know what I did wrong but the site was the same as the one that you posted .ATB Geoff G6MZX

The last place has now been snapped up. So we will have a full party of 12 for the Ailsa Craig expedition, and therefore we now know that the fare will be £25 pp.

Further to the booked-in 12, I have a reserve list of 4 people, but I am happy to add more to the reserve list. I will 'phone round in a week or so’s time with the confirmed date and time of the trip.

At least one of the booked-in 12 is not a radio amateur and would be willing to stand down if a SOTA activator wanted the place, and none of those on the reserve list are certain they can make it, so it is still worth registering with me if you want to join the trip.

We are off to Scotland tomorrow, so it will be mobile contact only from then. It is vital I have the mobile numbers for everyone that is going on the trip or on the reserve list. I do have most of them - thank you.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks Tom. I will await your phone call - no need to respond to my personal e-mail sent this morning.

Have a good holiday and thanks for organising the trip to Ailsa Craig.

73 Phil G4OBK

In reply to G4OBK:
Two more places now available for aisla craig trip. If places are filled it will cost £25 each, otherwise it is £30. Cheers. Sean M0GIA

I have just received a message from Tom saying that 2 places have become available for the trip to Ailsa Craig.
If you are interested let Tom, or myself know and I will try to get a message to Tom.
73 de Ken

Text message received today from Tom M1EYP when I got in:

“Ailsa Craig (GM/SS-246) Dxpedition Boat is booked for 11.00am from Girvan on Tuesday morning. Boatman will confirm on Monday. One place still vacant”

If anyone reading this wants to go please get in touch:
cq AT philcatterall.plus.com or 07887 660279

Current Ops:

M1EYP
M3EYP
G4OBK
MM1BJP + 2
G6MZX + 1
GM4GUF
GM0AXY
GM4YMM

73 Phil G4OBK

In reply to M1EYP:
I have just received a message from Tom saying that due to the WX the expedition to Ailsa Craig has to be delayed until Thursday 13th of August - time to be confirmed.
73 de Ken - GM0AXY

All 12 places are filled, and the expedition is definite for a 12 noon sailing on Thursday 13th August 2009. I presume QRV will be between 2pm and 3pm (1300-1400z). We envisage that two stations will be operational, one on 40m, one on 2m. Activators will take it in turns getting their four contacts, then some will do some more if/when everyone has qualified.

If Jack GM4COX can now make it (he couldn’t do the Tuesday, but could do this date), then I understand our one non-licensed participant is prepared to stand-down and make the place available for him. (If you read this Jack, send me a text).

Hopefully the wx will be kind, and allow a landing, plus a pleasant climb and activation. It is forecast to be reasonably good then, hence the change of date. Look forward to meeting everyone in Girvan, and working people on the air.

Tom M1EYP

Well done to all involved in this DXpedition, which seems to have been a great success!

It will be interesting to read the details and statistics in due course.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Also many tnx and congratulations from my side.
I was very pleased to hear Tom´s (MM1EYP/p) fb CW-sigs
just after arriving back home from work.
I did´nt believe my eyes when I saw some pictures of
this “one-pointer” in the internet.
It must have been very amazing for the “dx-pedition-team”.

Vy73 and many tnx again
Fritz DL4FDM, HB9CSA

In reply to G3VQO:

I have just had a phone call from Phil G4OBK (activating Great Mell Fell on his way home) who reports that every single op on the Ailsa Craig team managed to qualify the SOTA. A magnificent operation.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to DL0QW:

The displayed photos look spectacular.

Caroline and I were in Girvan in September 2005. After my activation of GM/SS-257 Troweir Hill we walked along the sea front and were rewarded with an unforgettable sunset.

I have uploaded just a few of our photos to

Imgur

I was really pleased to be able to work the summit yesterday; many thanks to the team for your efforts.

Martyn M1MAJ

In reply to G4SSH:

It looks like they had the best of the weather. As I expected I couldn’t have gone even if there was a place as I was needed in the office so I’m somewhat jealous. There again I did get to stand above the Hollywood sign doing an activation so I can’t complain. Today the WX over towards the East is quite miserable and wet. This means it’s probably really horrible out on the West Coast.

I see Geoff has his entry in the database and is being shown as the 1st activator. It’ll be interesting to see what the final table looks like. I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading the reports too. There’s lots of pictures of the island taken from the mainland showing the classic Christmas Pudding shape and making it look impossible to access when it isn’t really. But I don’t recall finding many pictures actually from the summit itself.

Andy (slightly green and not from sea sickness)
MA0FMF

In reply to M1MAJ:
Super FB photos.

In reply to MM0FMF:
It looks different from the north :slight_smile:

Imgur

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
Here are some of the many photos taken by GM4YMM on Ailsa Craig. Others will no doubt add their photos and recollections of the GREAT SOTA DAY we had on Ailsa Craig.
Imgur
With 10 operators using some 6 or 7 stations simultaneously within an area of maybe 80 mtrs x 20 mtrs it can only be described as an intense activation.
73 de Ken - GM0AXY aka GA0AXY