Aerial found on Helvellyn

Morning all

On the way up Helvellyn from Patterdale yesterday I found a rubber duck aerial, looks like it may fit a Wouxun or similar, and is possibly 2m or 4m. Aerial in good condition apart from the dried on sheep droppings!

Please let me know if you lost one, otherwise it looks like I have a spare :slight_smile:

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

Morning all

On the way up Helvellyn from Patterdale yesterday I found a rubber
duck aerial, looks like it may fit a Wouxun or similar,

Hi Tim,

Seems Colin M0CGH and Phil G4OBK were the last two recent SOTA visitors.

BTW, I switched the rig on at the summit of Gun and to my surprise, there you were. My first contact of the morning a S2S with Hellvelyn!

Many thanks…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

Yes, good to work you too :slight_smile:

Sorry about the confusion from St Sunday in the afternoon, I called a couple of times on .450 asking if the freq was in use but couldnt hear anything, TDM was calling me and then the pile up started.

Sorry if it caused you QRM before I QSY’d to 425…

Helvellyn was a good activation, Fairfield was freezing with 35Mph wind, and St Sunday even worse. In all a good day out with 1w from a handie and 4 elements.

Best DX - Birmingham with 1w from 3200 feet. Happy days :slight_smile:

The 6000 or so feet for the day and over 12 miles have caught up with me today, pleased I have a bathroom downstairs, severe jelly legs going on today preventing further stair climbing!

Catch you from the next one.

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Seems Colin M0CGH and Phil G4OBK were the last two recent SOTA visitors.

Hi Also John G4YSS has been on Helvellyn 73 Geoff

In reply to G4YTD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

Yes, good to work you too :slight_smile:

Sorry about the confusion from St Sunday in the afternoon, I called a
couple of times on .450 asking if the freq was in use but couldnt hear
anything, TDM was calling me and then the pile up started.

Apologies Tim, I had no idea, they were calling you, or I would have QSYd so you could work your pile-up.

Sadly, the lift evaporated in the afternoon :frowning:

Sorry if it caused you QRM before I QSY’d to 425…

Not a problem, Tim. The QRM was dreadful on Tuesday and Wednesday, with French stations coming in over the top of UK stations!

Helvellyn was a good activation, Fairfield was freezing with 35Mph
wind, and St Sunday even worse. In all a good day out with 1w from a
handie and 4 elements.

Best DX - Birmingham with 1w from 3200 feet. Happy days :slight_smile:

The 6000 or so feet for the day and over 12 miles have caught up with
me today, pleased I have a bathroom downstairs, severe jelly legs
going on today preventing further stair climbing!

Even walking to the summit of G/SP-004 with a bag full of SLABS and an extra HF antenna (which I didn’t use in the end,) was hard work. I take my hat off to you!

Catch you from the next one.

Look forward to that.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Glad you had a good 44 point round Tim - well done. I couldn’t believe you were so strong on Helvellyn with just one watt.

Not my antenna - I don’t have a Wouxon and I haven’t lost anything. Finders keepers!

73 Phil

On the way up Helvellyn from Patterdale yesterday I found a
rubber
duck aerial, looks like it may fit a Wouxun or similar,

Hi Tim,

Seems Colin M0CGH and Phil G4OBK were the last two recent SOTA
visitors.

I’m not aware that I’m missing an antenna, but it is possible I suppose! I walked up and down via the path from Swirls car park, so it seems unlikely that the antenna would be mine.

I have three HT’s, a Yaesu VX-150, an ADI AT201 and an Alinco DJG5, I tend to take all three on activations, one for APRS and two for voice (one as back up for flat battery!).

I’ll take a look in my cupboard when I get home this evening and report back.

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G4YTD:

Hi Tim,

I could be the one with the red face as I lost the RD for my Standard C710 on Helvellyn back in October 2010. If it is mine, then it would appear that sheep droppings have a preservative quality. :slight_smile:

The connector on the one that I lost was an SMA male, the black rubberised finish being right down to the end of the connector, i.e. the connector doesn’t project. The length would be about 15cm, but it sounds like you may have something rather larger if you think it will work on 4m - in which case at least 2 “losers” have been up Helvellyn in recent years.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald

I dont think this has been on the ground very long looking at it.

The element appears to be in two parts above a TNC fitting. Part one is a coil of about 100mm, then a non helical section of 40mm, and a final helical of around 70mm (guessing as my tape is in the car and its raining!)

The element is covered with black heatshrink as far as the locking collar on the TNC(?) fitting.

Fitting is silver with an outer knurled screw down ring, and the inside part looks like a BNC.

Hope this helps.

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

Thanks Tim, that rules me out!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G4YTD:
Possibly it was lost by one of the MR guys!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Same thought it occuring to me. Not many radio’s use TNC in Amateur world.

T!m

G4YTD mainly /P

In reply to G4YTD:

Hi Tim,

I saw your description earlier & thought the same as Brian, any chance of a photo or two?

If you want you can email the photos to me, mark at brownhill.demon.co.uk & I will post them on Flickr.

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4YTD:

All antennas accounted for at M0CGH :slight_smile:

Hope the mystery is solved soon!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G4YTD:

Thanks for the description Tim. Definitely not mine! I think mine may have reached the car park, but was misplaced on transfer to the car. I intended to call in to trawl the grass when I passed on later travels, but it always slipped my mind.

73, Gerald G4OIG